deaf driving

Originally posted by prostock19
I am hearing and I am guilty of all the above. I have driven and used my wynd, my cell phone, and now my sidekick. I also sign and drive. But, when traffic is heavy, I tell everyone to hold a second.

Heheh...no one's perfect, remmy that. ;) I'm also guilty for using my mobile phone whilst driving...but am VERY careful not to do that in plain view of a cop car driving past me or looking at me! :lol:
I don't want to earn more demerits on my license as I only have 6 points left on it for another year. :( ( I lost 6 points for the 2 times I was caught speeding. )

BabyPhat21 said:
when me and my best friend drives, we chat and we have to look at each other of course and this affects the driving, I realize it may look like we are drunk or something. One time I was driving next to my friend and we were texting and signing through the window to each other lol....... we probably look like we were fighting or bad case of road rage......

is this normal or ????

I am hearie sort of, that's funny, but have friends who are deaf, and I agree, its normal. I try to sign and drive and its very hard. I had a friend that passed me on the road the other week and saw us driving crazy, and i had 5 people in the car. He tried to say hello but he didn't know we were signing and not seeing him. I can drive better signing than talking on the phone. Especially texting!!!! Wow, that is dangerous! Mostly my friends all talk together, and I just drive, but then I feel left out, so I try to see in the mirror and look.

BabyPhat21 said:
when me and my best friend drives, we chat and we have to look at each other of course and this affects the driving, I realize it may look like we are drunk or something. One time I was driving next to my friend and we were texting and signing through the window to each other lol....... we probably look like we were fighting or bad case of road rage......

is this normal or ????

:lol: Yep it most certainly is normal, But, with me it isn't sign language issue, When I have to look other than on the roads, It happened to me a few times, When my boys kept on tabbing me on the shoulders want to ask me something I have to look in the rear mirror or turn my head side ways to see what they wanted, I intend to go off the roads, almost hit a mail box, have hit the curb, I also went on the opposite direction of the road, I tell my boys, Can you hold onto your thoughts until I stop somewhere or stop at a traffic light to get your full attention? They understood. But, sometimes they forget what they were going to ask me when I make that stop. :giggle:

I sure do feel :Oops: several time when I was driving and my mother caught me head down on my sidekick, mostly just quick one then back attention to the road... usually that way when there's less or no traffic... if heavy traffic then it's a big :nono:

Yeah. My older brother was stopped by the cop for weaved the road. He say to cop about sign language commication with me to take his eyes on the road off. Cops gave him warning and let him go. BUT he was really drunk that time as I thought we would be end up arrest...he did good bs explaining at the cop. No, I was much young man without my common of sense while rode with my drunk brother.

In normal daily life, I tend to "visualize" everything as whole (I'm sure the same with other deaf people) and when I communicate with a person then someone else joined, standing next to us. If that someone is talking to someone else and was talking incorrectly about something, I have the tendency to "correct" them while still talking to the original person. That ability is often found in most deaf population. Now with that skill, I do the same while driving. I focus my attention to the road, instructed my passenger to pull chair up as forward as possible and as comfortable as possible. When they talk to me, they sign more "audible" (more visible, or more obvious) so I can better communicate with passenger while driving. Sometimes when big word came up, I quickly divert my attention to passenger quickly for that specific word then return back to normal. But during night driving, it is little harder because it is like trying to visualize in the fog so I had to turn lights on for the entire conversation.

Back