deaf driving

My standard shifting is very smooth...even while I'm talking...

hmm.. when i drive im not TOO bad - depends on the conversation topic =x If its funny, I'll be fucked. haha..

My parents got pulled over for not staying straight in their lane, and for having the dome light on (both are deaf, both were talking to each other) with my sister and I sleeping in the back seat - neither of us had seatbelts on. =X I was prolly about 14? I dont know. Either way,

*sirens*
*pull over*
*cop comes up to the window*
*dad tells him we're deaf*
*cop says ok blah blah license and registration*
*cop takes one look and says oh ok try to drive a little more straight next time*

We were half a block from home :)

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
when me and my best friend drives, we chat and we have to look at each other of course and this affects the driving, I realize it may look like we are drunk or something. One time I was driving next to my friend and we were texting and signing through the window to each other lol....... we probably look like we were fighting or bad case of road rage......

is this normal or ????

Yah...it's totally normal! I've done heaps of that! :) But no one has stopped me from doing it...us deafies have the advantage of being able to sign with our hands and talk to other people in other cars while DRIVING, heheh! :)

Goldie

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
I know I shouldn't but I drive with the dome lights on and turn it off when I see a cop around but the worse thing is texting/paging with friends............ I think both cell phones and pagers should not be allowed while driving but I cant help it!!!

Talking or using SMS on mobile phones (cell) is banned here in Australia -- if caught using the phone while driving, fine is about $100 for first offence.

Goldie

I think New York City is the same that way... but I dunno what's their penalty is...

Do you use your pager while you drive?

I notice, some people usage their Wyndtell, 2way, or T-mobil pagers while they drove a vechicles. I am not sure if some of the States forbid it. Just similar with the cell phone as for the hearing people usage those devices.

When I stopped at the red light, I do check my pager to read them. If it is important, I do sometime reply it while I drove. I know, I am not suppose to do it. I would tell them that I am on the road, will reply later.

I would think that the law states "electronic communication device" which would mean pagers too.

I know that I'm not accurate since I know that there are certain electronic devices that can legally be used. Phone headsets for example.

Re: Do you use your pager while you drive?

Originally posted by Sabrina
I notice, some people usage their Wyndtell, 2way, or T-mobil pagers while they drove a vechicles. I am not sure if some of the States forbid it. Just similar with the cell phone as for the hearing people usage those devices.

When I stopped at the red light, I do check my pager to read them. If it is important, I do sometime reply it while I drove. I know, I am not suppose to do it. I would tell them that I am on the road, will reply later.

I remember when I was visiting my family in the USA after living in Australia for nearly 3 years....visited USA back in 2001, a few months after September 11. I was in a car with my sister and her boyfriend in Maryland -- boyfriend was driving, but he had half his attention on the road and the other half on his bloody wyndtell! :P It made me nervous cos he had near misses and almost accidents with other cars cos he was 'busy' typing in messages! Sheesh! I did tell my sister to please ask her boyfriend to put his wyndtell away until we stopped driving! :shock:

Goldie

My driving.. Hmm.. I talk while I drive and look at the same time back and forth at my friend's eyes and hands. When I drive or Jamie drives the car, she fucks the driving around. She can't handle holding a ICEE cup and drive with her right hand.. Hmmm.. Then she started to hold something else, and she drives FINE! I don't understand how she can do that in one week, by stupid driving then she drives good... But when i drive and I play around with my new CD player or holding a cup or a pager, I drive fine....

You remember Javapride...that I was soooooooooo NERVOUS when you kept on looking into your wyndtell pager WHILE you were bloody DRIVING!!!!!!!!!???????????? :P I nearly had to change my underwear twice that day when she was driving me places. :nana:

Originally posted by WaterRats13
You remember Javapride...that I was soooooooooo NERVOUS when you kept on looking into your wyndtell pager WHILE you were bloody DRIVING!!!!!!!!!???????????? :P I nearly had to change my underwear twice that day when she was driving me places. :nana:

YAH now i dont use it often :P

Originally posted by WaterRats13

:rofl: waterrats -- i DONT blame u !!!! :laugh2:

Originally posted by Fly Free
:rofl: waterrats -- i DONT blame u !!!! :laugh2:

PPPPPPPPPPPPPFHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Well this Pager is now dead, So i been driving without a pager since i moved here to hawaii!!!!!!!1

but if i do get pager I will not be using it on the road as i don t need accidents i usually pull over if need to talk to someone for locations or whatnots, otherwise NO NO pager. NOT need accidents!

Originally posted by javapride
PPPPPPPPPPPPPFHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Well this Pager is now dead, So i been driving without a pager since i moved here to hawaii!!!!!!!1

but if i do get pager I will not be using it on the road as i don t need accidents i usually pull over if need to talk to someone for locations or whatnots, otherwise NO NO pager. NOT need accidents!

Good good....then I'll feel better and safer riding shotgun with you if I visited you in Hawaii, heheh! But you're getting the SideKick, right? Well, I'll still come and visit, but WILL consficate your SK and keep it away from you in the car until we've stopped moving! :rofl:!!!

;)

When im talking to the hearin I look at the road while talking (hoh) and when im talkin and listening to the deaf person I look at that person and turn my eyes back on the road to catch a glimps then turn back to the person. My deaf friend drives crazy i tell you she be signing to the other deaf in diffrent car and swerve around the road. That scares the hell outta me. I dont know how you all do it and still be alive. :shock:

Originally posted by Wolfboy
When im talking to the hearin I look at the road while talking (hoh) and when im talkin and listening to the deaf person I look at that person and turn my eyes back on the road to catch a glimps then turn back to the person. My deaf friend drives crazy i tell you she be signing to the other deaf in diffrent car and swerve around the road. That scares the hell outta me. I dont know how you all do it and still be alive. :shock:

:laugh2: :rofl: I've done that before...but I never drove crazy like you claim about your friend -- I don't drive ALL over the road, excuse me! :P
I believe that I'm a pretty good driver! I haven't been stopped by cops for reckless driving in my 14 years of driving...only twice for speeding, that was it.

I am hearing and I am guilty of all the above. I have driven and used my wynd, my cell phone, and now my sidekick. I also sign and drive. But, when traffic is heavy, I tell everyone to hold a second.

Back