Why do deaf individuals not like wearing hearing aids and cochlear implants? (Curious)

JustACollegeKid

Reaction score
Hello! I am a student in college trying to gather information for a project that I am submitting today. I am designing a device that relies on vibrations and turns them into haptic feedback. This is just a concept right now, so I don't have much information about the product as a whole, yet. I am curious though, given I am not a deaf person myself, I don't know much about why some people really dislike wearing hearing aids or cochlear implants. Could anyone give me some insight or explain the controversy behind this? I'd be very interested to learn more about this issue so I can develop my concept better, and to learn if it would even be useful to begin with. Thank you!

Hello! I am a student in college trying to gather information for a project that I am submitting today. I am designing a device that relies on vibrations and turns them into haptic feedback. This is just a concept right now, so I don't have much information about the product as a whole, yet. I am curious though, given I am not a deaf person myself, I don't know much about why some people really dislike wearing hearing aids or cochlear implants. Could anyone give me some insight or explain the controversy behind this? I'd be very interested to learn more about this issue so I can develop my concept better, and to learn if it would even be useful to begin with. Thank you!
For me, they didn't work. I was able to hear sounds, but could not make sense of anyone's speech, even after years of frustrating auditory therapy. Would you listen to a foreign language radio all day long? It's not really that I hate them, I just don't use them. Then I don't like how people emphasize that it's SO important to use them, as opposed to ASL and other tools.

When my grandpa started losing his hearing, he got hearing aids. Did he wear them? No. I completely understand why, but it just felt like... I wore my hearing aids for 18 years, and he couldn't use them more than two weeks!?!?

Last edited:
For me, they didn't work. I was able to hear sounds, but could not make sense of anyone's speech, even after years of frustrating auditory therapy. Would you listen to a foreign language radio all day long? It's not really that I hate them, I just don't use them. Then I don't like how people emphasize that it's SO important to use them, as opposed to ASL and other tools.

When my grandpa started losing his hearing, he got hearing aids. Did he wear them? No. I completely understand why, but it just felt like... I wore my hearing aids for 18 years, and he couldn't use them more than two weeks!?!?
Know what I find odd? Ex hearing/late deafened people can say hearing aids are ehhhh for them, but we Deafies have to LOVE them.

I see people today spending there whole day with things stuck in there ears and wonder how they do it? When I first got mine couldn't stand them, itching and fieling like something stuck in my ear. Was told if I where them all the time I would get use to them. Well I did, got tolerant of them. Don't drive ride bicycle can't where them for wind noise. So in stead of putting them in and out just leave out unless something important like church, Dr appointment, date( ya right like I get a date) for me where I'm at I find speech reading about as good as aids, mine mostly just amplify and don't fill in all the missing sounds. And that blocking out that back ground noise not all that great, one time couldn't hear person next to me but across just find as well as three tables behind me.

LOL, I know. There are late deaf people who love them, but it also seems like there's a big population that isn't exactly enthusiastic about them
I was also referring to the "Deafies have to LOVE them". I don't think the Deaf have to get HAs or CIs. It's a personal decision for all of us.

I was also referring to the "Deafies have to LOVE them". I don't think the Deaf have to get HAs or CIs. It's a personal decision for all of us.
Wow. I'm impressed..... HAs and CIs are pushed BIG time with pediatric losses. I totally agree that everyone is different with liking auditory input, and I say that as someone who loves their aids.....

I think it’s because those devices take away from their language, culture and deaf pride!

Back