Where is the best state to live in the us?

Santa Fe NM. No doubt.

I hear the Carolinas get 4 seasons...

North FL has 3 seasons:
Hot, Hotter, Suddenly below freezing for 3-10 days (non consecutively) w/o snow

WE do get "snow", statistically every 100 years, last snow was in 1989... I expect to see the next snow. ;)

Last edited:
Texas is becoming a 4 season state thx to global cooling

Vermont gets cold. It can reach -20 degrees. Personally I would say Oregon, it's very small towny with Portland being the big city.

Want all 4 seasons and the beauty of them? I think Vermont or New Hampshire would be the best or so from what I have heard and read. I would love to visit there.

Not all of New Hampshire is great to live in!

Want all 4 seasons and the beauty of them? I think Vermont or New Hampshire would be the best or so from what I have heard and read. I would love to visit there.

visit there in winter and let's see if you can get out of there :lol:

I like Mississippi but i did went there its so nice im wishes i would lives there but i told my mom i can visit my family in Arkansas back and forth between Mississippi and Arkansas no matter if im married somedays..

but im not trust colorado because of bad weather rollercoast!! im rather not lives that!

Asheville, NC. Four seasons, beautiful surroundings, a lot of people interested in alternative choices, perhaps more open to the idea of midwives than a lot of places.

But if you really like Brekenridge, then check out if there are other midwives practicing there, see if you can ask them if they are well-accepted in the community, look for info on cost of living, and give it a try. If you've always dreamed of living in a certain place, then go for that place, if at all possible.

not Wyoming! I swear, winter seems to last for about 5 months... haha.

California. No matter where you are, you are just a few hours drive to 1) world class beach 2) world class mountains 3) world class valley. And Northern California gets all four seasons. The summers are nice and hot but not humid, and the short winters are cold but not soul-crushing cold.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

California, Oregon and Washington. They got everything.

upper New York has plenty of small towns and farms, and it has all the seasons

It's interesting how the right location can feel like "home" almost immediately, while the wrong location can be just soul-crushingly bad.

I had always longed to live in Boston, probably due to reading all of Louisa May Alcott's stories as a young girl, plus "Johnny Tremain," plus being generally enthused about the area, the intellectual vibrancy, the whole "ski New England!" appeal, and other factors. I moved there right after finishing grad school and stayed for nearly 5 years, and absolutely loved it. Right time, right place. I was in my mid-20's when I moved there, just shy of 30 when I left.

I would not be interested in moving back there, have no interest in dealing with New England winters on a constant basis any more, but am so glad I followed my heart at the time and had that experience.

So if there's one place that just calls to you, that is worth a good long look, to see if it can be done. Not so much "if it makes sense," because a lot of things we love don't necessarily make sense to the casual observer, but for yourself, what things would have to work out? What things would you MAKE work out? What sacrifices can you make for your chosen spot, or do you see them as sacrifices?

For instance, even though I had a series of decent jobs in Boston, cost of living was such that I had to share an apartment with roommates. What I could have afforded on my own would have been too depressing.

But that wasn't really a sacrifice. With the roommates, we all had a much broader social circle than we could have had otherwise, we all brought different things to the table (sometimes very literally - I learned how to make some really good traditional Jewish foods from two of the roommates, and they enjoyed the Italian and/or Midwestern things I prepared), and it was just a really good time in our lives to be doing that.

So - what would hold you back from going to Breckenridge, if that's what really appeals to you?

Back