What's the sign for receptive?

I always prefer answers from deaf people when it comes to our Language. Thanks :)

What if the deaf person is not as fluent as a hearing person who has an answer?

What if the deaf person is not as fluent as a hearing person who has an answer?

True, 10 years ago if u had asked me, I would have no idea what the sign for receptive was.

Doesnt matter one's hearing status but on how fluent the person is with the language.

There are also many signs that the average deaf person doesn't use in daily life but that interpreters must know. Just like not all hearing people know the definitions for all English words. Many words and signs are specific to certain fields and occupations, so not everyone knows them.

When in doubt, I always check with the deaf client/student first for the preferred sign.

There are also many signs that the average deaf person doesn't use in daily life but that interpreters must know. Just like not all hearing people know the definitions for all English words. Many words and signs are specific to certain fields and occupations, so not everyone knows them.

When in doubt, I always check with the deaf client/student first for the preferred sign.

You are sooooo right!! Most all hearing people would not understand that or know that either as they don't need Asl to function in life or to make a living. You are respecting the deaf sooo much always checking with a deaf client/student. The very best interpreters I have had have always asked me which sign I prefer.

There is also some signs that can only be used in certain contexts, settings, ways, etc.. and not learning Asl in a classroom setting does not teach you this. Even most deaf people wont teach you this stuff when you learn Asl from them on the streets.

Exactly. In which case, a hearing terp would be more capable of providing an accurrate answer to a question: "What is the sign for....?" than the average deaf individual who never uses the sign.

Agreed. In a terping situation, or even in a profession conversational situation between a hearing and a deaf individual both fluent in ASL, it is always best to let the deaf client guide the use of specific signs and modes.

And if you are truly unsure about the contextual use of a sign, a sign dictionary is usually the most confusing place to try to answer your question.

True, 10 years ago if u had asked me, I would have no idea what the sign for receptive was.

Doesnt matter one's hearing status but on how fluent the person is with the language.

Thanks. Thats my point.

Like you would sign for "hear" but by the eye instead of the ear - that's one way to do it, if you're saying "receptive language" - then you can do it by the eye

Funny... I always called that sign "listening with your eyes". :giggle: Always helped me to remember it that way. Lol, i'm such a goof.

Funny... I always called that sign "listening with your eyes". :giggle: Always helped me to remember it that way. Lol, i'm such a goof.

Not a goof at all. That is just a conceptually accurate definition for the sign. That is exactly what you are doing: receptive sign language is "listening with your eyes."

Not a goof at all. That is just a conceptually accurate definition for the sign. That is exactly what you are doing: receptive sign language is "listening with your eyes."
Ditto that. :)

Fluency in Asl has nothing to do with whether one knows every single sign that exist or not. You should know that if you are deaf.

Depending on the context, I'd use the sign for "open minded" for receptive.. as in being receptive to new ideas, etc.

Depending on the context, I'd use the sign for "open minded" for receptive.. as in being receptive to new ideas, etc.

Excellent suggestion for a different contextual meaning for the word receptive.

Fluency in Asl has nothing to do with whether one knows every single sign that exist or not. You should know that if you are deaf.

It does however, involve using the signs you do know in the proper way and context so as to able to carry on a conversation or make oneself understood.

It does however, involve using the signs you do know in the proper way and context so as to able to carry on a conversation or make oneself understood.

I know my language. Please do not try an correct me its insulting.

Back