What's the sign for receptive?

jasin

Reaction score
I could not find it in any Asl dictionaries. I am trying to sign various things with that sign in it eg. receptive skills, receptive translation, etc..

I could not find it in any Asl dictionaries. I am trying to sign various things with that sign in it eg. receptive skills, receptive translation, etc..

It's the same sign as the one you use for "receive".

Like you would sign for "hear" but by the eye instead of the ear - that's one way to do it, if you're saying "receptive language" - then you can do it by the eye (unless the person is referring to hearing the language - then it would by the ear.

Receptive also can have the same sign as "receive"...or even "accept," depending on the context.

Like you would sign for "hear" but by the eye instead of the ear - that's one way to do it, if you're saying "receptive language" - then you can do it by the eye (unless the person is referring to hearing the language - then it would by the ear.

Receptive also can have the same sign as "receive"...or even "accept," depending on the context.

I think thats a different context. In signing one's skills, or abilities, are either expressive or receptive. The receptive skills is how well one can see, understand, etc.. what is being signed.

I think thats a different context. In signing one's skills, or abilities, are either expressive or receptive. The receptive skills is how well one can see, understand, etc.. what is being signed.

Deafbajagal was just offering you another sign meaning the same thing, that's all.

btw, no one actually gave me a link to the sign or told me discriptivly how to sign it.

Guess i'll just have to ask a fellow deaf.

Receptive visual:

Two 3-hands, positioned near (not touching) each eye, fingertips pointing forward.

Bend the index and middle fingers in and out. Concept is the eyes scooping in information.

Receptive auditory:

Same sign but positioned near the ears.

However, if the discussion is about interpreting, and using receptive skills, then the receptive signs are only half the concept. The interpreter would use the RECEPTIVE-EYES, INTERPRET, and then SPEAKING or VOICING.

Or:

RECEPTIVE-EARS, INTERPRET, and then ASL-SIGNING.

Generic "receptive skills" can be RECEPTIVE-EYES SKILLS as in "I need to improve my receptive skills."

Or,

VOICING SKILLS as in "I need to improve my voicing skills."

Not 100 percent conceptual but commonly understood and accepted in context. :)

I hope I'm not adding to the confusion. ;)

Receptive visual:

Two 3-hands, positioned near (not touching) each eye, fingertips pointing forward.

Bend the index and middle fingers in and out. Concept is the eyes scooping in information.

Receptive auditory:

However, if the discussion is about interpreting, and using receptive skills, then the receptive signs are only half the concept. The interpreter would use the RECEPTIVE-EYES, INTERPRET, and then SPEAKING or VOICING.

Or:

Generic "receptive skills" can be RECEPTIVE-EYES SKILLS as in "I need to improve my receptive skills."

Or,

Not to me you're not; Jasin, what Reba is saying is what deafbajagal was also offering you as another sign for receptive which, by the way, is probably technically more spot on than what I offered.

Receptive visual:

Receptive auditory:

Or:

Or,

Thank you very much :)

Not to me you're not; Jasin, what Reba is saying is what deafbajagal was also offering you as another sign for receptive which, by the way, is probably technically more spot on than what I offered.

ok

I always prefer answers from deaf people when it comes to our Language. Thanks :)

The problem with ASL is that the vocabulary is very limited compared to the English language. So, it's usually done with synonyms.

I would probably use "receive" but in the form of how it's used. There are receptive related to seeing and receptive related to hearing. So, one sign would be used at eye level and the other would be used at the ear.

The problem with ASL is that the vocabulary is very limited compared to the English language. So, it's usually done with synonyms.

I would probably use "receive" but in the form of how it's used. There are receptive related to seeing and receptive related to hearing. So, one sign would be used at eye level and the other would be used at the ear.

If there were deaf dogs with hands, they'd have a version for their noses too. Deaf butterflies and flies with hands would have one for their mouths too. :D

Back