What is this?

Steinhauer

Reaction score
So, I went hunting the last 3 days and camped out in the wilderness all by my lonesome. I do this every year. I also look forward to the time all year long (I am strange that way).

Anyways, I came across this:

It appeared to be made out of solid steel and was very heavy. Any ideas what it is? It has some sort of a serial number on it too. Strange that it was waaaaay out in the middle of the woods.

Looks like a metal sled..did you take it out?

How big is it? Maybe it is part of a farm implement like a cultivator or a corn picker? Hmmmm, was there any gold prospecting or mining in the area in the past?

I did have a sled that looked similar as a child.

How big is it? Maybe it is part of a farm implement like a cultivator or a corn picker? Hmmmm, was there any gold prospecting or mining in the area in the past?

Could it be a Tractor part?...The cover over the engine?

Cable cover on the roller fairlead of steam donkey used in logging around the teens to 20s ? Hard to tell from one picture, but I have seen similar. Very thick steel if the cable breaks. Most steam donkeys were abandoned where they were last used. The forest grew back up around them. Not common, but you find them way out in the woods with no roads anywhere around.

It's an omen from the wild life telling you it bad luck to kill so many coyotes .

Would be helpful if we could see the bottom of it. Looks like a shovel from a machine.

il_570xN.528764409_ef6s.jpg

It is not like that in the picture. Yours was a triangle sled while the steel is very heavy and look like a shovel (part?) from a machine or something. It might be a part from a skitter which is a logging machine. :dunno:

Yes, it was 9 miles north of Dahlonega, GA (site of the US first gold rush). It was a little bigger than a bed pan (which is what I thought it was but it is way too heavy).

Cable cover on the roller fairlead of steam donkey used in logging around the teens to 20s ? Hard to tell from one picture, but I have seen similar. Very thick steel if the cable breaks. Most steam donkeys were abandoned where they were last used. The forest grew back up around them. Not common, but you find them way out in the woods with no roads anywhere around.

This is possible - could you post an image of what you mean?

part of a wood stove , or a cover for some kind of equipment ? It look like there are screws on it.

Btw, what were you hunting?

Deer.

It was a Buck only, Bear and Feral Hog hunt. All I was able to find though were some marshmallows, graham crackers and Hershey bars - so it wasn't a completely wasted trip ;)

(for those whom are sensitive, that impaled marshmallow was not harmed in any way)

Maybe we should start a thread for camping recipes? Something to wrap in foil and throw in the campfire coals to cook?

Back