Trying to help my sister-in-law

hywolfe

Reaction score
Hi, all, I need to know how to help my sister in law. She has always been hard of hearing but until now a mega hearing aid and lip reading were working for her. Recently her hearing got worse and she was unable to keep her job. She is the sole breadwinner in her family and cares for a disabled husband. She doesn't know ASL, has no connections to the deaf community and doesn't have a TTY (I doubt she knows what that is!). She lives in Panama City Beach, FL and really needs the support of the deaf community! I'm not deaf, but I had a deaf professor in college and I know that deaf people are able to hold great jobs, drive, etc- with the right support. I just don't know how to help her. I have been looking online and there are so many organizations- it's really confusing! Can someone tell me how to contact someone in the deaf community near Panama City Beach, FL who can help her learn ASL, find a job that she can do well in despite her hearing loss, etc?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Wasn't it a sister in a foreign county yesterday?

? Today is my first day on the forum. Check my profile if you don't believe me. I'm glad you have a sense of humor, but maybe you could use your humor on someone else who isn't dealing with such a serious matter. Does anyone else have anything helpful to say? I don't plan to respond to any more sarcastic comments. Sallylou, I hope your day gets better. There is no need to make hurtful comments to someone who is just trying to help someone. If I offended you in some way, I apologize. I'm not deaf, I don't know the culture-that makes me ignorant but not deserving of sarcastic comments.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

You have to understand my skepticism considering that we get scammers all of the time and you've only made a couple of posts.

The proper way to get help is to contact social services in your area. You may also contact your deaf advocacy group. Maybe a member can post the contact information for your area.

Last edited:
ok sallylou, I will take your question at face value. I don't understand how such a question could have been other than sarcastic, but I will assume that Sunny is right and that it was an honest question. No, I have no sisters or sister in laws in any foreign country. Please, can't someone tell me something useful instead of speculating on relatives that don't exist?

Home

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services of Northwest Florida

Deaf/HH Services NW Florida Website
945 W. Michigan St., Suite #4B
Pensacola, FL 32505
info@dhhsnwfl.org

I've been searching a little and this is the first thing that came up.

That would be great- I don't know which "social services" to contact. An advocacy group especially would be great. I have been looking all over the net and I see multiple organizations. For example, if she wants to drive for 6 hours each way she can go to the only ALDA meeting in Florida. Stuff like that. I don't know which group is local to Panama City Beach.

I understand your skepticism and I think everyone gets victimized by scammers, Sallylou. But please keep in mind that you don't have to say something sarcastic. You can just tell them the proper organization to contact, that is all I was looking for. Just remember that when you hear something that sounds so bad it couldn't be anything else than a scam-some people really do have it that bad. It is actually much worse- I left out some details because they aren't mine to share.

Kristina, you're a gem! I have seen "Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services" already on the web, but I thought it was a commercial enterprise. Didn't know that was Social Services (ok, yes, I feel stupid). Thank you so much! I will email them. Anyone else know any local advocacy groups?

You need a social worker, not just an ASL group. The social worker can guide you through the maze to get services. Different places call the agencies different things. They are on the state and county level.

If you have a phone book, you can look in the first pages. Does anyone have those anymore? Also, states have a local number that you can call to get contact info for agencies. Where I live it's 211. Good to know when you're looking for a flu shot or have some other issue.

If you're really serious, I'll see you and your sister posting here. It would be great if your sister got on the forum. She needs to learn to advocate for herself and it doesn't hurt to have online friends. If you're just another post and run, good luck!

Kristina, I just sent them an email and it bounced, but I was able to locate their web page and found a phone number. I sent that to her. Thank you so much! Does anyone know of anything closer? Pensacola is 2 hours away from Panama City Beach.

I guess I will need to see! It all depends on what she thinks of our suggestion that she call. Changing your lifestyle late in life can be hard. If she is open to online friends I will definitely suggest alldeaf. The ball is in her court now. If she isn't open to alldeaf, I like the idea of coming back but I do feel like a fish out of water. I mean, do you really want a hearing person posting in a place that is supposed to be only for deaf people? I won't feel hurt if you say no. I registered because I didn't know where else to go to find answers to my questions. So I probably will be a "post and run", but I really appreciate the advice- you guys have helped more than you know.

I found this:

Panama City:

Disability Resource Center of Panama City Florida

Carol Davis, Deaf Services Coordinator

Our offices are in the Workforce Center facility located in Mariner Plaza at the intersection of Hwy 231 and 19th St.

Our mailing address is:

625 Hwy 231

Panama City, FL 32401.

We can be reached Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm by phone and TTY at (850) 769-6890, and by Sorenson Video Phone at (850) 387-1800.

Due to our small staff size, most services are provided by appointment.

...and this:

FTRI

We are a Regional Distribution Center for Florida Telecommunications Relay Inc. (FTRI) Visit their link FTRI - Home to find out more information on the phone distibution program in your area.

To see a list of upcoming public events we will be attending, click Here. Feel free to stop by and ask questions, or just say hello! .

DRC serves the following counties: Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Liberty and Washington.

Phone distribution at our office is by appointment only, please call voice/TTY (850) 769-6890 or VP (866) 954-5898 to set up an appointment.

You may also want to look at our page of frequently asked questions about FTRI here.

FTRI - Home

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Now you are getting some informations about getting some services and advocacy group to help your sister-in-law from some of the ADers. You will find more informations here on AD forum. You might find some answers to your questions here too. So I hope that will help you and your sister-in-law on finding the answer of how to go about it.

One thing, most deaf people does not being told or have someone trying to take care of them just because they are deaf. Just give her the advice or feedback on what you find some information. She will make the decision on her own. Remember only way to communicate is by paper and pen. It is much easier that way. Good luck. :)

I hope you and your sister-in-law enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back