Tips for Reducing Sodium in Your Diet

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tips for Reducing Sodium in Your Diet

Buy fresh, plain frozen, or canned "with no salt added" vegetables.

Use fresh poultry, fish, and lean meat, rather than canned or processed types.

Use herbs, spices, and salt-free seasoning blends in cooking and at the table.

Cook rice, pasta, and hot cereals without salt. Cut back on instant or flavored rice, pasta, and cereal mixes, which usually have added salt.

Choose "convenience" foods that are lower in sodium. Cut back on frozen dinners, pizza, packaged mixes, canned soups or broths, and salad dressings — these often have a lot of sodium.

Rinse canned foods, such as tuna, to remove some sodium.

When available, buy low- or reduced-sodium, or no-salt-added versions of foods.

Choose ready-to-eat breakfast cereals that are lower in sodium.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/tips.htm

Reduce Salt and Sodium in Your Diet

A key to healthy eating is choosing foods lower in salt and sodium. Most Americans consume more salt than they need. The current recommendation is to consume less than 2.4 grams (2,400 milligrams[mg] ) of sodium a day. That equals 6 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of table salt a day. The 6 grams include ALL salt and sodium consumed, including that used in cooking and at the table. For someone with high blood pressure, the doctor may advise eating less salt and sodium, as recent research has shown that people consuming diets of 1,500 mg of sodium had even better blood pressure lowering benefits. These lower-sodium diets also can keep blood pressure from rising and help blood pressure medicines work better.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/sodium.htm

It´s too much if I add salt into hot boiled water for noddles, vegetables, and then sprinkle the salt on our dinner again... that´s why I don´t sprinkle salt into boiled water for noodles, vegetables, etc.

Tips on Being a Smart Shopper

Read the food label to find out more about what is in the foods you eat

Buy fresh, plain frozen, or canned "with no salt added" vegetables

Choose foods that say:

sodium free
very low sodium
low sodium
reduced (or less) sodium
light in sodium
unsalted

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/tip_shop.htm

Tips on How to Prepare Lower Salt Meals

Add less salt at the table and in cooking. Reduce the amount a little each day until none is used. Try spices and herbs instead

Cook with low-salt ingredients. Remove salt from recipes whenever possible.
Rice, pasta, and hot cereals can be cooked with little or no salt

Use fewer sauces, mixes, and "instant" products this includes flavored rices, pasta, and cereal, which usually have salt added

Rinse salt from canned foods

Limit smoked, cured, or processed beef, pork, or poultry
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/tip_meal.htm

Interesting, I don´t use salt to add boiled water for rices, noodles (pasta), fresh or frozen vegetables, etc.

I use herbs-salt on meat before fry or oven.

I don´t cook anything with canned foods or ready foods.

I use instant products very rarely.

Unfortunlately yes, I use sauces, cereal, etc which including soduim... I am cottage cheese lover... I know soduim is including but I can´t give cottage cheese up... but limit with soduim what I can. I also love smoked salmone & ham & can´t live without them. :|

Pretty interesting this thread...

I've been re-read whole thing product what I have shelves... Mostly soduim..
*sigh*.... I'm on still discussion w/my hubby... need little break for while...

Thanks for those tips! Now I am looking at labels when i go shopping. I noticed the lowfat salad dressing and reglaur...regular has less salt than lowfat!!!! I was like :jaw: SHYT!

Sooo now I am more careful what I am eat now. :)

I find super that you are interesting about my thread here... I will post more and give you feedback... including thyroid, too tonight...

A slice of Fat free cheese

Calories 30
Fat Cal. 0
Total Fat 0
Sat. Fat 0
Cholest. 5mg 1
Sodium 320mg 13
Total Carb. 2g 1
Fiber 0
Sugars 1g
Protein 5g
Vitamin A 4
Vitamin C 0
Calcium 30
Iron 0

A slice of regular cheese

Calories 70
Fat Cal. 45
Total Fat 5g 8
Sat. Fat 3g 15
Cholest 20mg 7
Sodium 270mg 11
Total Carb 2g 1
Fiber 0g 0
Sugars 1g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 4
Vitamin C 0
Calcium 25
Iron 0
Vitamin D 10

Which cheese you want regular or fat free?

Miss *P, Thank you for share the list of cheeses - it´s interesting to know what you have list in cheeses. I accept none of both cheeses, you made list here.

I got my slices of favorite cheese "Leerdammer Lightlife" cheese from fridge and translate for you to read what the label written. Those cheese, I accept is soduim free...

Energy - 1,149 kj - 275 calories per 100 g (4 oz)
Protein - 30,9 g
Carbohydrate - 0 g
Fat - 16,5 g
Calcium - 1,013 mg

I alway make sure that cheeses must have NO flavor-additives, soduim, sugar, chemtisery, etc.

Mama2AFTIV said:
Thanks for those tips! Now I am looking at labels when i go shopping. I noticed the lowfat salad dressing and reglaur...regular has less salt than lowfat!!!! I was like :jaw: SHYT!

Sooo now I am more careful what I am eat now. :)

Unfortunlately yes, there're more sodium in low fat or diet foods than normal foods. That's why I rather to have normal foods and make sure there're soduim-free or low soduim in labels before buy them...

We need to limit sodium in our body a day. I would recommend you to check with your doctor how much sodium you need a day. If doctor recommend you to limit 500mg sodium daily which it mean that you have to count up how many sodium you have a day if you see how many mg in food or drink labels.

There’re high sodium in canned foods and low diet foods…

I use most sodium free frozen foods and fresh vegetable, milk, cheese, etc. I do homemade jams and cookies...

It could lead high blood pressure and heart disease, also osteoporosis, too when you eat too much sodium.

Question..

Starchy is inclucdes sodium high ?
Likely eg: Any kinds potatoes to make

Of course High percentage sodium corn which it's articifical freezes'em... to help corn stay preserves it.

GalaxyAngel said:
Question..

Starchy is inclucdes sodium high ?
Likely eg: Any kinds potatoes to make

Of course High percentage sodium corn which it's articifical freezes'em... to help corn stay preserves it.

Starchy foods are high carbohydrates, which it needs to energy your body. As you question about potatoes - no, fresh potatoes don't have any soduim but high carbohydrates.

If you want soduim free potatoes then add no salt to boiled water or meal. If you want low soduim then no salt in boiled water but salt on your dinner.

It's normal to have salt in some of starchy foods like breads, rolls, toasts, etc. but it's important to limit soduim in your body, that's all.

Liebling:-))) said:
Starchy foods are high carbohydrates, which it needs to energy your body. As you question about potatoes - no, fresh potatoes don't have any soduim but high carbohydrates.

If you want soduim free potatoes then add no salt to boiled water or meal. If you want low soduim then no salt in boiled water but salt on your dinner.

It's normal to have salt in some of starchy foods like breads, rolls, toasts, etc. but it's important to limit soduim in your body, that's all.

Thanks Liebling!
and also another question...

how's about Olive Oil (Extra Virgin oil) Is that good ? sometime i use cook'em.. cuz part of europe using those... avoid use butter cook it..

GalaxyAngel said:
Thanks Liebling!
and also another question...

how's about Olive Oil (Extra Virgin oil) Is that good ? sometime i use cook'em.. cuz part of europe using those... avoid use butter cook it..

It's good question but it is not relate on my thread here... I will create a new thread to answer your question about oils... :thumb:

Salt free

There are so many hidden sources of salt in manufactured foods, including breakfast cereals, that salt free or low salt diets should be produced from pure natural ingredients. Any menu or recipe based on these ingredients can be used.

Salt should not be added in cooking or baking.

Raising agents should not be used - the problem is with the sodium ions from both the salt and sodium bicarbonate.

http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/foodc/salt_free.html

Other ingredients

Sodium Bicarbonate adds sodium to the diet, and the quantity used should be kept to the minimum needed as a raising agent.

Salt, sodium chloride, is easy to add in excess to your diet. Don't add salt to cooking water as it reduces the quality of the nutrients available in vegetables. Only add the minimum quantity needed to your plate.

Salt should not be added to the food of young children, and they should not be given salted chips or other foods high in salt as their kidneys are unable to excrete the excess.

http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/foodc/other_ingredients.html

Back