TGV (high speed rail) world speed record

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the video for you guys to check out. This it the high speed rail corridor in France. Of course, it has been closed to the public due to the test runs. It happened on April 3, 2007 and you'll find out how fast it went. ;) FYI, the speed is in km/h, not mph.

[yt]jJfDWtbioEM[/yt]

O.O What's the MPH for 574 Km/H? Or was that 202 Km/H? I tried to find the link to convert that but cannot find any :/

What if a deer is standing on the middle of rail?

I have never heard of a deer or anything being hit by a high speed rail. The collosions are rare with a high speed rail because of the rail inspections are very strict, they have fencing and there are no street crossings. I think they have elevated bridge crossings where many animals can pass underneath.

Deer will be dead before it knows! Nothing (almost) beats train.

May be great for Europe, but not in America. I can't image the catastrophe whenever that train de-rails or wheel fall apart (Already happened in England).

These TGV trains are awesome to ride in. I have ridden these trains when I was in France, once from Paris to Poiters and back, and other time from Lyon to Paris. It feels smooth and doesn't feel shaky at all. In the US, we have "Acela Express" under Amtrak, but it can't go fast like in France because of some reasons I don't know why. Acela runs from Boston to Washington D.C. with stops in New York, Philadelphia, et al.

Keep in mind that the average speed for TGV services in France is about 200 mph. If we travel from New York to San Francisco (about 2900 miles), it would take about 14 1/2 hours with a TGV train. With the world record (356 mph), the trip would definitely be shortened down to 8 hours 15 mins.

oh yeah, did it happen. My buddies and I went hunter for small game. Anyway I walk cross the track and see deer's half body cutoff by side of track. I dont see where is head???dunno. I said oh shit.....must be last minute not expect hit impact. It is pretty cross.

we have "Acela Express" under Amtrak, but it can't go fast like in France because of some reasons I don't know why. Acela runs from Boston to Washington D.C. with stops in New York, Philadelphia, et al.

The reason why Acela Express is one of the slowest high speed rail system in the world is because they have some railroad crossings, people can cross the tracks easily. It's not like in Europe. If there is ALL right of way all the way from Washington, DC to Boston....it will go much faster and people or cars cannot cross the tracks at all.

It only goes up to 150 miles per hour in the 2 mile section between Rhode Island to Boston. The train mostly goes around 125-135 mph range.

:bump: just to bring up the thread in case anyone wants to see it. :)

The reason why Acela Express is one of the slowest high speed rail system in the world is because they have some railroad crossings, people can cross the tracks easily. It's not like in Europe. If there is ALL right of way all the way from Washington, DC to Boston....it will go much faster and people or cars cannot cross the tracks at all.

It only goes up to 150 miles per hour in the 2 mile section between Rhode Island to Boston. The train mostly goes around 125-135 mph range.

to edit this post with information in error. It's actually around 20 minutes at 150 mph...for several miles, not 2 miles.

The tracks also are old, which dates back in the 1800's in some sections which train is forced to slow down and plus there are some curves that slows down the train for safety reasons. It would help a lot with a dedicated high speed rail line, you know?

yes...the Bombaider train itself can go up to 165 mph which its design speed but it goes up to 150 mph...it mostly go around 120-125 mph more often, though. Average speed for the high speed rail is the slowest in the world, too. It's about 80 mph average, sad.

Most commuter trains don't have to deal with traffic, pedestrians crossing the road, road construction, etc.. so that makes things significantly faster even when the train is not the fastest.

Sometime, I saw orange TGV at Paris Train Station. It is beautiful front nose.

I lived in europe for 6 mo. I never see any wild deer at Alps. Even, I never see any wild animals dead on the road. Just common house pets or birds on the road at near big city.

Back