Teenage driving and auto accidents at a glance

I think the legal driving age should be 18. Teens are often inexperienced drivers, they go from being scared to being over confident in a very short amount of time which is dangerous.

I would allow my DD to get her learners at 14 and she can test for her drivers at 16, but she will have to drive with me and only me in the vehicle with her until she is 18. I will also require her to drive in all conditions before I turned her loose on her own. I don't want her running into a situation she's never been in before, freak out and have an accident. I think a four year restricted license would be ideal. It would keep the kids under the guidance of the parent until the child has driven in all sorts of situations and the parent guided them through it and the child gets a chance to go through the same situation again later, make their own decision about it under the supervision of the parent.

The kids just need more experience driving before being turned loose. I would be nice if I could have a car fitted with a device that allowed my DD's car to reach a maximum speed of only 65, if she goes over that, the car automatically shuts down and calls my mobile phone with her location, and a passcode only I know would be required to restart the car. Knowing that this device was on the car would deter her from driving recklessly.

Many well-to-do-parents outfit their kids cars with GPS devices that tracks their speed, where they went, how long they were there, whether or not the seatbelt was on and in some cases whether or not the stereo was turned on.

As for no hats and no sunglasses policy - that can be extremely hazardous in situations where you are driving into the sun and there is so much glare that you can't see the highway and the flip-down visor doesn't help. This is true for short people especially.

These drivers just need more training before they are released to a full license. Some states already have a graduated licensing system set up in such a way that the driver is 18 before they are released to an unrestricted license.

I asked a professional truck driver (CDL holder) about the sunglasses and hats. His reply:

"I've never heard of that before, I don't know where that writer got his info from. That makes me laugh...I would say over 90% of truck drivers wear hats. Sunglasses are almost mandatory- they really help when driving 11 hours a day in the bright daylight! (summer or winter) I never took sunglasses off."

I think the legal driving age should be 18. Teens are often inexperienced drivers, they go from being scared to being over confident in a very short amount of time which is dangerous.

I would allow my DD to get her learners at 14 and she can test for her drivers at 16, but she will have to drive with me and only me in the vehicle with her until she is 18. I will also require her to drive in all conditions before I turned her loose on her own. I don't want her running into a situation she's never been in before, freak out and have an accident. I think a four year restricted license would be ideal. It would keep the kids under the guidance of the parent until the child has driven in all sorts of situations and the parent guided them through it and the child gets a chance to go through the same situation again later, make their own decision about it under the supervision of the parent.

The kids just need more experience driving before being turned loose. I would be nice if I could have a car fitted with a device that allowed my DD's car to reach a maximum speed of only 65, if she goes over that, the car automatically shuts down and calls my mobile phone with her location, and a passcode only I know would be required to restart the car. Knowing that this device was on the car would deter her from driving recklessly.

Many well-to-do-parents outfit their kids cars with GPS devices that tracks their speed, where they went, how long they were there, whether or not the seatbelt was on and in some cases whether or not the stereo was turned on.

As for no hats and no sunglasses policy - that can be extremely hazardous in situations where you are driving into the sun and there is so much glare that you can't see the highway and the flip-down visor doesn't help. This is true for short people especially.

These drivers just need more training before they are released to a full license. Some states already have a graduated licensing system set up in such a way that the driver is 18 before they are released to an unrestricted license.
I would rather a kid learn to drive under my supervision while in high school than to graduate high school and go to college while driving for the first time.

Going to college and learning to drive for the first time could put a lot of pressure on the student.

What about high school students who are on football teams or who work?

I would think the concern would be more toward prevention of teenaged accidents than how it affects businesses.

prevention program? interesting....... :hmm:

Good question.

How do hats and sunglasses negatively interfere with one's ability to drive? :confused:

silly argument - it causes limited visibility but they failed to take into account for sunny view and eye-blinding reflections

My daughters will not start driving until they are 17...at least. Period. They also will not be riding in cars driven by 17 year olds or younger. Period.

Same here. My boyfriend and I do not have children yet, but we plan to at some point. When we do, we will not allow them to drive until they are 17-18 years old -- no exceptions.

I agree! My daughter just turned 12 so I am just dreading the day she can start driving. It is approaching too fast! Now, I can understand how my mom must have felt when I went out driving with my friends at 16 years old. Scary!

My niece is 15 years old and my sister fears the day she turns 16.

Thanks to MTV, she has the belief that her mother will purchase a Mercedes Benz for her on her 16th birthday. :giggle:

My sister told me "T will be severely disappointed if she thinks I'm buying her a Mercedes. If she's lucky, she will receive a new vehicle as opposed to a used vehicle."

My sister does not want T to drive until she's 17, but right now she's debating whether or not to allow her to drive at 16.

Thanks to MTV, she has the belief that her mother will purchase a Mercedes Benz for her on her 16th birthday. :giggle:

LOL Im gonna give my daughter's half-sister my beat-up Ford on her 16th birthday (Funny is that both the half-sister and the Ford will be 16 years old in 2017) and make her fix it up before she can take her driving lessons on it. That should teach her how to really appreciate an old car and also allow her to learn engineering skills she may need for her future. Plus what's more I'm not allowing her to learn on automatic cars as she will need to learn how to drive stickshifts. That way she will know what to do if she has to drive a stickshift car.

I personally don't support teenagers drive any vehicle. I believe they should drive at over 18 of the age, or maybe 21. I remember a several students got car accidents, so I'm glad I don't drive during my mid teenhood.

for my kids - i have a simple solution. if they're a dumbass and they want to drive, then I will treat them like a dumbass - "NO! GET A JOB AND PAY FOR YOUR SHITNEZ!" :)

I was T Boned by a teenage driver! The guy been driving for only a week and he ran a red light and hit my car on the passager side! I was lucky I had no passager with me as they would had been badly hurt or killed! I lost more hearing, the impact was so strong it knocked both earring aides out of my ears and they landed on the floor in the back seat! The age should be moved up! I was not able to work as a health aide any more!

My high school lost 6 students in my 4 years attending to car accidents. 3 of which were friends. I say raise the driving age to 18.

My neighbor's two sons were killed last weekend in car accident. Her oldest son was 20, soon to be 21 fell sleep while drive and drift to other side of road and head crash that killed him and his younger brother instantly. Their father was killed by drunk driver 8 years ago. Really any of us could die on the road and yet I read here blame on teenagers. I deal with @#$hole drivers on the road everyday on my route and they are not teenagers.

Does that mean allowing texting while driving? :eek3:

I sometimes text while driving, but never in town. This past week, coming back to California from Missouri, I texted while on the open road and no other vehicles around me. Never at night, though.

My 15 YO is learning to drive this summer. He's doing well. He's a responsible kid.

In my state, there is a graduated driver's license for teens. Only one other person in the car with a teen driver except for family members. This is to prevent a bunch of kids in the car at once. I'm glad about that.

Back