Taxes on cars?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I understand that some states requires you to pay taxes on your properties including your vehicles.

How does that affect people who have a car parked out in the field for the last 30, 40 years? Do they have to pay taxes on that?

Illinois is not one of the states that requires tax payment on vehicles you own, but some states do. I was just curious. Any feedbacks?

For what you are talking about, in CA, we just pay a small fee for Non Operation

Virginia taxes the crap several times on cars, but generally if you have a car out in a field, if the registration isn't renewed, they can't tax it, but you also can't legally drive it, unless you live around me and just put something where the number plates used to be that reads "FARM USE".

I once saw a crappy little car with a farm use plate, I laughed because there is no way that car would work on a farm, the three teenage girls inside were just taking turns driving it aound on public roads.

I also don't support having front license plates either.

In Virginia we pay car tax, annual state inspection, county property tax and other crap. I'm sure I forgot about other related Virginia taxes for the same thing, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head until a letter comes in the mail.

The property tax on my 13 year old, turbo car is about $18 now. I forget what they value it at, but probably 2-3k. I didn't have a tax on my 40yr old motorcycle when I had it. They get you for boats, too.

You're talking about personal property tax. A lot of states have it yes. The simplistic break down of this idea is that you must make payments on your car for ages to own it, and once you FINALLY own it and pay it off, you must pay the state because you own it. :roll: Though they prefer not to say it like that, and will try to explain it to you in a round about way, but that's the blunt to the point way it is. I live in Florida, we do not pay state tax or personal property tax here thankfully.... but states like Missouri and quite a few others do have that stupid rule. If you don't pay the personal property tax, you don't get to have a license plate on your car. Great deal isn't it? :roll:

The property tax on my 13 year old, turbo car is about $18 now. I forget what they value it at, but probably 2-3k. I didn't have a tax on my 40yr old motorcycle when I had it. They get you for boats, too.

Lucky! My state is charging me over $90 for tax on my seven year old car. So far they haven't sent anything for my fourteen year old motorcycle yet. I still hate the state inspection stickers personally, so much that last year into spring of this year, I drove around with it expired (seven to eight months) until I got caught.

You're talking about personal property tax. A lot of states have it yes. The simplistic break down of this idea is that you must make payments on your car for ages to own it, and once you FINALLY own it and pay it off, you must pay the state because you own it. :roll: Though they prefer not to say it like that, and will try to explain it to you in a round about way, but that's the blunt to the point way it is. I live in Florida, we do not pay state tax or personal property tax here thankfully.... but states like Missouri and quite a few others do have that stupid rule. If you don't pay the personal property tax, you don't get to have a license plate on your car. Great deal isn't it? :roll:

I never thought of that one!! It made me wonder if a person do have to pay personal property taxes on vehicles while making monthly payments on it. Or do they get taxed only when car is paid in full? So if a person was making a monthly payment for 5 years, they won't have to pay personal property tax on vehicle. Therefore, state loses a lot of money. Who is supposed to pay taxes for those 5 years?

I never thought of that one!! It made me wonder if a person do have to pay personal property taxes on vehicles while making monthly payments on it. Or do they get taxed only when car is paid in full? So if a person was making a monthly payment for 5 years, they won't have to pay personal property tax on vehicle. Therefore, state loses a lot of money. Who is supposed to pay taxes for those 5 years?

Nope, unfortunately they have to pay Personal Property Tax every year they renew their plate. :( If you're making payments, you still get to pay personal Property tax, when you pay it off, you still get payments yay! :roll: You pay it at the tax collector when you go suffer at the DMV. :(

In South Carolina, you pay the personal property tax whether or not you are still making payments on the vehicle. If you don't, you can't get a tag for the vehicle.

Lucky! My state is charging me over $90 for tax on my seven year old car. So far they haven't sent anything for my fourteen year old motorcycle yet. I still hate the state inspection stickers personally, so much that last year into spring of this year, I drove around with it expired (seven to eight months) until I got caught.

They ditched inspeciton stickers here. Now the DMV and inspection stations are tied together, so you can't renew your registration (tags) without having paid your tax, registration fee, and inspected in past 90 days.

The max inspection fee is a bit more here as well, and almost every place charges the max. They're required to show the state guideline pie chart of what each test is and the cost of it. The places alwys say it's the emission test that drives up the cost, but the largest chunk is their fee.

No inspections required in our state.

They ditched inspeciton stickers here. Now the DMV and inspection stations are tied together, so you can't renew your registration (tags) without having paid your tax, registration fee, and inspected in past 90 days.

The max inspection fee is a bit more here as well, and almost every place charges the max. They're required to show the state guideline pie chart of what each test is and the cost of it. The places alwys say it's the emission test that drives up the cost, but the largest chunk is their fee.

Our inspection I think is $15 (Where I am in the state, not sure about the urban areas, been a long time since I lived in an urban area) and emissions testing is done in select urban areas around the state. Thankfully, the area I live doesn't do emissions, as I remember how irritated emissions made my father, because his car seemed to always fail emissions back in the 90's..lol

If you have a vehicle that's not tagged/driven and it sits, you don't pay taxes on it...you only pay taxes if you get plates on it. After it sits for years with no tags or taxes paid, you will pay a small fee if you ever go to get it plated again.

Is this car tax like a annual registration fee?
In South Carolina, the personal property tax has to be paid every year. Registration for vehicles is every two years. PPT goes down every year until it hits the minimum amount. If the vehicle has high mileage the rate goes down quicker. The registration fee doesn't change, regardless of the age or mileage of the vehicle.

In Maryland, no taxes on cars! :)

Back