Sunfires

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well, I have been in the market for a used car/truck on the cheap... not a lot out there anymore in the $500 range that are decent. I remember as a kid you could get anything for about $500 used... not anymore unless its junk.
Well, I happened upon a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire for $750 that's in decent shape ( a few dents ) but the reverse is out, still runs and drives just wont go into reverse. Got them talked down to $400 cash and I found a good used trans for $150 elsewhere... should I jump on it? I am thinking I might be able to rebuild the trans but replacing it is faster/cheaper in the long run BUT what if the replacement trans is bad? Ive never worked on a front wheel drive, only have experience with rear wheel drives.... so going to be a whole new ballgame for me here. I like the idea of 30+mpg and cheap insurance.... I really want a truck but hell, this will get me around for the time being.

I think you have enough to keep you busy working on the house.

A truck would probably be more practical for all the diy work that you do.

Just my opinion. :)

I'm guessing it's a standard if you're talking about rebuilding it so it might be a linkage problem and not a trans problem.

I would think that the seller took it to a mechanic before selling it to you. I bet the mechanic told them transmission needs overhaul. Maybe talk to the mechanic who checked the car to gauge what they said at the time. The mechanic may either be honest or a rip off. Try to figure out what mechanic said and go from there.

Automatic tranny? If Manual tranny, I would go with jonnyghost, check linkages.
With automatic tranny, no reverse sounds like bad reverse solenoid or reverse band or one way clutch either, I am not exact. You says you never work on FWD, don't try it.

I think you have enough to keep you busy working on the house.

A truck would probably be more practical for all the diy work that you do.

Just my opinion. :)

Agree... more safe works with regular tools. Sometime the modern trucks make you hard time to reaching or remove the parts. Easy way to fix is like I see the older domestic trucks.

Automatic tranny? If Manual tranny, I would go with jonnyghost, check linkages.
With automatic tranny, no reverse sounds like bad reverse solenoid or reverse band or one way clutch either, I am not exact. You says you never work on FWD, don't try it.

Agreed with you. I won't overhaul for FWD auto tran too.

Agree... more safe works with regular tools. Sometime the modern trucks make you hard time to reaching or remove the parts. Easy way to fix is like I see the older domestic trucks.

Depend which truck you talk about. Most modern semi-trucks are easy than old school semi-trucks for electronics, engine performance, etc. For manual transmission? Almost same thing.

I would think that the seller took it to a mechanic before selling it to you. I bet the mechanic told them transmission needs overhaul. Maybe talk to the mechanic who checked the car to gauge what they said at the time. The mechanic may either be honest or a rip off. Try to figure out what mechanic said and go from there.

Common. They can not afford to spend the money on silly repairs. Service managers or service writers are more ripoffs to the customers than mechanics you know that. That is normal I tell you. Sometime the mechanic tell you that your car have bad transmission and need overhaul then you decide to have it to be repair or sell it. If you sell it to this mechanic.. you know what? He simple replace shifting solenoid pack assy to make trans work, he sell it or keep it for his personal use.
The rip off works make the automotive industry happy... I am happy with good money.....

Depend which truck you talk about. Most modern semi-trucks are easy than old school semi-trucks for electronics, engine performance, etc. For manual transmission? Almost same thing.

Ok I have one question for you. Have you been working on the tranny of a FWD on a site of your house before? YES or NO?

I agree with you all. Id rather have a truck too.
I don't like FWD other than they are just as good as 4x4's in the snow...lol

I like the older RWD they are simple and easy to work on, I know from experience as I built tons of street rods, The truck would help me a lot as right now Im trying to find someone again to haul some furniture for me I landed on CL.
FWD suck to work on, I have done some basic stuff like wheel bearings and cv axles....no fun, plus you need special equipment to do motor/trans work since you need a "cage" to hold the motor up when the tranny comes out, as the trans is actually the mount for that side.

I agree with you all. Id rather have a truck too.
I don't like FWD other than they are just as good as 4x4's in the snow...lol

I like the older RWD they are simple and easy to work on, I know from experience as I built tons of street rods, The truck would help me a lot as right now Im trying to find someone again to haul some furniture for me I landed on CL.
FWD suck to work on, I have done some basic stuff like wheel bearings and cv axles....no fun, plus you need special equipment to do motor/trans work since you need a "cage" to hold the motor up when the tranny comes out, as the trans is actually the mount for that side.

FWD is better than RWD for fuel efficient and low maintenance.

My neighbor has replaced many transmissions in those Sunfires & Cavaliers....after you do a few, it gets easier. Replacing a front wheel drive trans is not difficult, however, taking all the parts off to get to the transmission is very time consuming, and you need all the right tools and an engine hoist to pull it off. That's why a rebuilt trans only costs $600 and labor is another $1500.

Like Reba said, if you are busy with one big project, you ain't got time for this one. I would look around for another vehicle that needs less costly repairs.

I've worked on plenty. I've never used a "cage". I usually pull the motor and trans as a unit. Most of them are to tight to seperate in the car anyway. I'm not really fond of the setup. I'll take an xj cherokee any day.

I'm surprized you dont have any 2x4 rangers cheap near you. Maybe they have gone up with gas prices.

My neighbor has replaced many transmissions in those Sunfires & Cavaliers....after you do a few, it gets easier. Replacing a front wheel drive trans is not difficult, however, taking all the parts off to get to the transmission is very time consuming, and you need all the right tools and an engine hoist to pull it off. That's why a rebuilt trans only costs $600 and labor is another $1500.

Like Reba said, if you are busy with one big project, you ain't got time for this one. I would look around for another vehicle that needs less costly repairs.

Yes. I love to smell $1500..

Yep, everything I find for $500 or less needs a motor/trans...sucks

I've worked on plenty. I've never used a "cage". I usually pull the motor and trans as a unit. Most of them are to tight to seperate in the car anyway. I'm not really fond of the setup. I'll take an xj cherokee any day.

I'm surprized you dont have any 2x4 rangers cheap near you. Maybe they have gone up with gas prices.

What you mean "cage"?

FWD is better than RWD for fuel efficient and low maintenance.
Not true, I had some full sized RWD I built and got better mpg than a cavalier/neon. Just depends on what you do with them.

My 85 ford ltd got through a blizzard which amazed me.
My 78 Caprice classic 2 door got better fuel mileage than a 01 neon, How I know? Traveling. I took it to Kansas, over 600 miles on a 25 gallon tank right after a rebuild and new trans.
I took my new 01 neon to Kentucky and clocked over 400 miles on 3/4 tank so they roughly evened out there.... and I had the pedal to the metal going to Kansas on those toll roads...lmao

Back