Stop yelling at me...i cant hear you anyways!

I'd post something that comes to my mind, but these posts really tell it all.

And wearing a shirt saying that you're deaf will have, indeed, bad guys looking at you and following you, especially if you have a bold and visible text saying you're deaf. Even kids and teenagers could notice and then make fun of you or talk about you and you would see them eye-balling you.

This is equalivent to as if you were in a wheelchair with breathing tubes in your mouth and out on the public on your regular day. It will grab people's attention because they likely never seen such a person like him. They will pass conversations and looks at that one person. They won't understand and could mistake you for something else, for good or bad.

Wear such a shirt and prepare to be judged and looked at. It's a bad world out there, but there are still good people. It's just there will always be people who don't understand and proceed on either judging you, laughing at you, talking to others about you while eye-balling, looking at you, etc.

*sigh* I watch too much movies, but there was this one movie called Daybreakers. There were vampires in that movie and they had to hide their identity and themselves. They had to wear sunglasses out in the public and their cars would be black-tinted to protect them from the sun. They were trying to strive in the world, trying to live normal lives, but couldn't due to many people don't understand, therefore it would be risky to reveal true self.

Careful. There are people out there that understand you and people who don't understand you. You don't want the latter to make your life difficult, but to be sure they would understand you after a little talk/writing on paper.

Scary. Women and other under-represented minorities have always had to deal with this, because we can't just cover the words in a T-shirt that announces gender or other identifying feature or take the bumper sticker off our bums. You don't have to hide your identity and stay out of sight. But you can take precautions and be hyper vigilant when in a vulnerable situation. No, maybe there are no telltale pointy ears as a tip-off, but I'm not going to tell my child not to sign, to hide her CIs, or not open her mouth in public. I will make certain she's not alone, she knows her environment, she can protect herself.

Scary. Women and other under-represented minorities have always had to deal with this, because we can't just cover the words in a T-shirt that announces gender or other identifying feature or take the bumper sticker off our bums. You don't have to hide your identity and stay out of sight. But you can take precautions and be hyper vigilant when in a vulnerable situation. No, maybe there are no telltale pointy ears as a tip-off, but I'm not going to tell my child not to sign, to hide her CIs, or not open her mouth in public. I will make certain she's not alone, she knows her environment, she can protect herself.

Yes you don't always hide your identity. One would go on with precaution and make sure he can make it through a such situation like someone trying to yell at him because he won't turn around. Make sure you have the words to make that person to understand you and not mistake you for something else like "just stupid", "ignoring", "drunk", etc.

Of course one shouldn't stop signing, hide the CIs, or open his mouth just because he's afraid to be looked at, judged, criticized, talked about. Get armed with words, hand gestures, or paper and pen if someone walks up to you or you walk up to them. Just like the person in a wheelchair with breathing tubes, someone will say something and when they do, try to deal with it by "opening your mouth". If you don't, then they win. They will pass it on and the prejudice/discrimination/stereotype cycle goes on.

Deaf is like ethnicity, but like hidden identity until one exposes himself by using Sign language, showing CIs, or talk in a way apart from a hearing's speech. African Americans, Arabians, Native Americans, and others from ethnic groups had to deal with this upon coming to new countries, but at a higher level. Because they were discriminated, judged, restricted, limited to opportunities, they had to speak up with the right words, make protests that lend into laws and rights, etc.

There's more that should be in there, but got to go.

I get people honking a lot... I can't hear them, but my girlfriend can... i've thought of putting something like this on my car
410487342v1_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

This shirt could be a good one Soshana!
12617871v1_480x480_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

There are quite a few good ones on Cafepress :giggle:

Ha ha, I love this shirt!

Yes you don't always hide your identity. One would go on with precaution and make sure he can make it through a such situation like someone trying to yell at him because he won't turn around. Make sure you have the words to make that person to understand you and not mistake you for something else like "just stupid", "ignoring", "drunk", etc.

Of course one shouldn't stop signing, hide the CIs, or open his mouth just because he's afraid to be looked at, judged, criticized, talked about. Get armed with words, hand gestures, or paper and pen if someone walks up to you or you walk up to them. Just like the person in a wheelchair with breathing tubes, someone will say something and when they do, try to deal with it by "opening your mouth". If you don't, then they win. They will pass it on and the prejudice/discrimination/stereotype cycle goes on.

Deaf is like ethnicity, but like hidden identity until one exposes himself by using Sign language, showing CIs, or talk in a way apart from a hearing's speech. African Americans, Arabians, Native Americans, and others from ethnic groups had to deal with this upon coming to new countries, but at a higher level. Because they were discriminated, judged, restricted, limited to opportunities, they had to speak up with the right words, make protests that lend into laws and rights, etc.

There's more that should be in there, but got to go.

I understand what you are saying, to some degree you are right--People CAN be mean! However, Since getting my first huge pair of hearing aids, with pink and purple ear molds, antennas, and a huge FM system box on my side--I learned quickly what it meant to be different. I learned how some people can be cruel, but it made me a stronger person. My parents raised me to put no limits on myself, and I do not see being Deaf as something that has stopped me from reaching all my goals thus far in my life. I am not the type of person who cares much of what others say about me--I have been made fun of since kindergarten because of my Hearing loss--why should I hide now? I wear my hair up because its MY style, I wear my implant on the outside of my hair, I sign, and sometimes my speech is not perfect, this is a part of who I am. When I meet people one of the first things I tell them is that I am Deaf because I don't want people to think I am rude or ignoring them.

I am who I am.

I remember I protest I am label deaf, long time I know club many many complaint mayor, I said show prove on deaf I search find newpaper I know I remember pretty lots of interesting!

Heh. Some people think that speaking louder means they are enunciating better. That's not exactly true, but whispering generally means your mouth doesn't move as much. And most of us hearing will talk to hearing people in a manner that isn't so 'speech-readable' because of the way our tongues move. So I assume people yell because they think they're being helpful. D'oh!!

I assurance they said on yell on deaf, impossible I can't hear, because people truck, car accident on deaf reason, hearing person don't understand!

If one perceives that someone is "screaming/yelling" advise you are Deaf/deaf/DEAF to write out their comments. Hope that problem can be solved with their written response.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

When I gave my lab up because she was such an enthusiastic walker (among other things), the vet recommended a Maltese or Yorkie. They are good alarm dogs, very territorial, and you can walk with one without being dragged. I am also very physical with combing and grooming-- settles the nerves.

My present roommate also talks too loud. I go thumbs down when he is too loud, but it is such a habit with him. I often take my HA's out when he won't respond. His best drinking buddy turns up the TV too loud, his apartment is just downright noisy.

Much rather have a dog than a roommate!! :giggle:

Back