Stop yelling at me...i cant hear you anyways!

Maybe a shirt to say "yelling doesnt help me hear you!"

I get people honking a lot... I can't hear them, but my girlfriend can... i've thought of putting something like this on my car
410487342v1_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

This shirt could be a good one Soshana!
12617871v1_480x480_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

There are quite a few good ones on Cafepress :giggle:

I get people honking a lot... I can't hear them, but my girlfriend can... i've thought of putting something like this on my car
410487342v1_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

This shirt could be a good one Soshana!
12617871v1_480x480_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

There are quite a few good ones on Cafepress :giggle:

LOVE IT!! I also am going to order a car decal for my window to inform police I am Deaf, Ive been pulled over 2 times--one time the cop just told me to go because he didnt want to deal with me, didnt even tell me what I did wrong! The second time the police was yelling at me and moving lips weird...maybe make a card to give police in this situation telling what to do?

LOVE IT!! I also am going to order a car decal for my window to inform police I am Deaf, Ive been pulled over 2 times--one time the cop just told me to go because he didnt want to deal with me, didnt even tell me what I did wrong! The second time the police was yelling at me and moving lips weird...maybe make a card to give police in this situation telling what to do?

Don't mark your car out as being deaf. The under visor card is safer. Bad guys can target you if you advertise your deafness.

Don't mark your car out as being deaf. The under visor card is safer. Bad guys can target you if you advertise your deafness.

Thank you for telling me this! I am rather naive and like to think people are good, sometime causes problems.

It's a common misunderstanding that most people have when they see a person with a service dog. If the person isn't in a wheelchair, then that person is likely blind. Service dogs for the blind have been around for years. So, they probably didn't understand.

It's a common misunderstanding that most people have when they see a person with a service dog. If the person isn't in a wheelchair, then that person is likely blind. Service dogs for the blind have been around for years. So, they probably didn't understand.

yes, I educate a lot. But it didnt line up--my puppy is 5 lbs! Also, My boyfriend stated I was Deaf and they went on saying I was blind LOL:giggle:

I have a deaf service cat :) Hahaha...really! She's somehow figured out I can't hear so she headbutts me to get my attention and she has never failed to alert me when the doorbell rings. She rocks. Adopted her from the SPCA.

You're totally right. I don't even advertise that I am a deaf homeowner. Not to anyone in my area, at least.

yes, I educate a lot. But it didnt line up--my puppy is 5 lbs! Also, My boyfriend stated I was Deaf and they went on saying I was blind LOL:giggle:
That's what people would probably call a Freudian slip. They talk before thinking and blurt out something by accident. :)

Tonight was laundry night, My boyfriend and I head down to our apartment complex laundry room with a large hamper filled. I had my new Service Dog in Training with me for the walk (she is a beagle). I walked into the laundry room where two security guards were standing, I walked right past them with my puppy and head to the back washer. After about 10 min. they started yelling at me about having my dog in the laundry room (which she is allowed to be!). I didn't realize they were yelling at me until my boyfriend yelled back at them that I AM DEAF! I guess the guards felt bad because they left. When we were done we start to head out and the two guards waiting outside the laundry room, he told my boyfriend that he didnt appreciate his tone, he apologized but again told them I was Deaf and it was rude of them and they went on saying they didnt know I was blind...my boyfriend again corrected them that I am DEAF not blind...gosh, some people! None the less, I was happy to see my boyfriend stick up for me!

It seems to happen a lot, people yelling and since I dont hear they yell louder and get very mad at me! Then I tell them im Deaf and they usually feel bad...does this happen to many other people too?

Why the hell would you need to talk loud to a blind person!! The guard sound like real jerks! I was thinking of getting a beagle and got Marty instead. I was worried a beagle would howl too much and people in my condo would complain. We had a beagle growing up and he did howl a lot at night!

Why the hell would you need to talk loud to a blind person!! The guard sound like real jerks! I was thinking of getting a beagle and got Marty instead. I was worried a beagle would howl too much and people in my condo would complain. We had a beagle growing up and he did howl a lot at night!

Yes, very rude gaurds! Molly (my beagle) howl sometime but not in her cage, and she stop when I tell her "quiet". She is very smart! 9 weeks old, and she know how to sit, down, potty train, come. She is learning more! She is very friendly and LOVES everyone!:aw:

Yes, very rude gaurds! Molly (my beagle) howl sometime but not in her cage, and she stop when I tell her "quiet". She is very smart! 9 weeks old, and she know how to sit, down, potty train, come. She is learning more! She is very friendly and LOVES everyone!:aw:

I love beagles! My friend that an acupuncturist had a patient that a veterinarian and my asked the vet what dog he think is the best kind and he said beagles! Beagles are a great size too , not too small or too big! Marty it a good size too.

yelling

I cant tell if they are yelling other then expression on face.. but I know my husband gets very mad at people who dont treat me with respect as a person ,hearing or not.

This is very true. I never show my hearing aids in public for this reason and never wear my hair up in public. Paranoid I know but it pays to be careful.

back onto the topic though-when someone raises their voice to me thinking it'll help me "hear" them I tend to involuntary jerk upright, it's almost taking a step back. Especially if the person doing it is displaying very strong body language with the loud voice. It's like a shock to my visual senses...

I try to hide being startled, jolted if you will but as I said it's involuntary.
who else does this besides me? :giggle:

As A bilateral deaf person-to me -yelling doesn't matter - don't hear you. I am also aware if Cochlear Implant connected will hear you- just turn the implant down-quiet.

From Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto classes- dealing with your Hearing loss-lesson 1.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I'd post something that comes to my mind, but these posts really tell it all.

And wearing a shirt saying that you're deaf will have, indeed, bad guys looking at you and following you, especially if you have a bold and visible text saying you're deaf. Even kids and teenagers could notice and then make fun of you or talk about you and you would see them eye-balling you.

This is equalivent to as if you were in a wheelchair with breathing tubes in your mouth and out on the public on your regular day. It will grab people's attention because they likely never seen such a person like him. They will pass conversations and looks at that one person. They won't understand and could mistake you for something else, for good or bad.

Wear such a shirt and prepare to be judged and looked at. It's a bad world out there, but there are still good people. It's just there will always be people who don't understand and proceed on either judging you, laughing at you, talking to others about you while eye-balling, looking at you, etc.

*sigh* I watch too much movies, but there was this one movie called Daybreakers. There were vampires in that movie and they had to hide their identity and themselves. They had to wear sunglasses out in the public and their cars would be black-tinted to protect them from the sun. They were trying to strive in the world, trying to live normal lives, but couldn't due to many people don't understand, therefore it would be risky to reveal true self.

Careful. There are people out there that understand you and people who don't understand you. You don't want the latter to make your life difficult, but to be sure they would understand you after a little talk/writing on paper.

Back