Stop Mountain Top Removal! Save Appalachia!

There is a law that they have to restore the nature after theyre done with the projects.

Also, are you for nuclear power plants?

Not sure, but I am more for better ideas.

I always witnessed mountaintop removals. It is not a pretty sight.

Not sure, but I am more for better ideas.

I always witnessed mountaintop removals. It is not a pretty sight.

I understand. minings a fact of life. soo.. unless people start accepting other resources and such... we're stuck to the basic fact of life.
Coal is one of the most efficient power producers though...

why? 99% of Americans have never seen it in person. it's a fact of life - what dies comes a new life.

as long as they will restore it, fine with me.

Wirelessly posted

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-perks/mountaintop-removal-fail_b_268718.html

Mountain Top Removal: FAIL

The mining company's idea of restoral is not quite right. They may remove the top of the mountain, mine, then merely replant. It leaves a gaping gash for generations. They remove an active ecosystem of trees and replace it with only one species rather than a variety which wildlife can thrive in again. The water is poisoned, the air filled with dirt, the miners are put into danger, and the earth is scarred.

From the above Post thread: In Kentucky, for instance, only 8% of post mining land use in 2008 was returned to "forests", according to the U.S. Office of Surface Mining.

I agree that we do need fuel, but surely there are less invasive measures to obtain the coal? Perhaps even alternative sources?

The mining company's idea of restoral is not quite right. They may remove the top of the mountain, mine, then merely replant. It leaves a gaping gash for generations. They remove an active ecosystem of trees and replace it with only one species rather than a variety which wildlife can thrive in again. The water is poisoned, the air filled with dirt, the miners are put into danger, and the earth is scarred.
Like I said - 99% of us would never see it nor visit it so it doesn't affect us much.

I agree that we do need fuel, but surely there are less invasive measures to obtain the coal? Perhaps even alternative sources?
none. we've been mining for over hundred years. why do we still do this? because it's the most cost-effective and reliable solution. we've had hundred years to improve the process while reducing our damage on Earth. Alternative Source is what can kill Earth faster than coal.

let us assume that all cars are now electric. that would means we need to recharge our cars... which means we need more nuclear power plants or so... which means we have to consume far more resource to produce electricity which can easily contributes to global warming. worst of all - we have to dispose dead/bad batteries. it's highly toxic and lethal to Mother Earth.

Battery is not from Earth... it's a man-made power.
Coal is from Earth... and it's a natural power.

which is lesser evil?

I don't see what's "FAIL" about it.

MTR%20failblog.JPG

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see that they restored it in 2008. It takes a few decades to grow it back to thick forest.

Valid points. Lets assume we walk to some areas, look at the mountain in the natural state. The beauty is breath taking. Now, even if no one sees it, it is no less beautiful. It does, like the rain forest, contribute to the environment. It was a forest and is now flat with sprayed on grass.

You do have a very good point about batteries vs coal, but mining is very detrimental as well. The coal itself is natural, but the mining process is not.

Valid points. Lets assume we walk to some areas, look at the mountain in the natural state. The beauty is breath taking. Now, even if no one sees it, it is no less beautiful. It does, like the rain forest, contribute to the environment. It was a forest and is now flat with sprayed on grass.
you won't be able to get there. it's not accessible by foot unless you're a hardcore mountain man or.... maybe riding a horse. beside - there are plenty of other beautiful mountain areas to explore. this mining is just a tiny 1% of whole mountain. we can sacrifice 1% to preserve 99% mountain. it costs money to preserve it, you know.

in most cases - the mining takes place in deep mountain area, far away from civilizations. it's ok - the civilizations will still get to see beautiful landscape from their skyrise view :)

You do have a very good point about batteries vs coal, but mining is very detrimental as well. The coal itself is natural, but the mining process is not.
it's better than what British did... they deforested everything for energy. completely bare.

Wirelessly posted

Another bad thing about mining is black lungs. People are risking themselves

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
you won't be able to get there. it's not accessible by foot unless you're a hardcore mountain man or.... maybe riding a horse. beside - there are plenty of other beautiful mountain areas to explore. this mining is just a tiny 1% of whole mountain. we can sacrifice 1% to preserve 99% mountain. it costs money to preserve it, you know.

in most cases - the mining takes place in deep mountain area, far away from civilizations. it's ok - the civilizations will still get to see beautiful landscape from their skyrise view :)

it's better than what British did... they deforested everything for energy. completely bare.

Mountain top removal is basically "deforesting"

How is that any different from what the English did?

Mountain top removal is basically "deforesting"

How is that any different from what the English did?

back then - British abused their environment with their excessive demand to the point where it was completely deforested.

We are not doing that in here. This mountain top removal is regulated to a certain degree.

Another bad thing about mining is black lungs. People are risking themselves

eh every job is dangerous. it's part of risk.

Fire kills people but who are gonna do it?

Back