Sorenson VP-100 Videophone

Dennis said:
How can you have a VP-100 sharing an internet line with a computer without a router?

It's possible to have a router without a firewall, but if you got the VP-100 from Sorenson, they provide you with a router if you do not have one, and configure it for firewall access.

For without router set-ups
Some cable modems have USB and Ethernet ports, they can set up for VP to cable modem's ethernet port and their puter connected to cable modem's USB port, it's not really recommend, because it's very easy hacker can break into their puter. Unless they have a software firewall on it can be hogged system. ZoneAlarm Pro best product for cable/dsl users..

For with router/firewall build-in see above of my message posted..

For with router/non-firewall, get a firewall software on your puter..

I have 2 routers in my home (LinkSys wireless as hub box and Dlink 604)
My Dlink VP connected to DLink 604 router (NAT/Firewall build-in) and lappy puter connected to LinkSys Wireless as Hub box (doesn't need to use NAT configures it's auto MDIX linked with DLINK router box)..

DBPowerWCRulez said:
Some cable modems have USB and Ethernet ports, they can set up for VP to cable modem's ethernet port and their puter connected to cable modem's USB portQUOTE]

Hey, DB, if you have seen this kind of setup first hand (from modem to VP in ethernet, comp in USB), please let me know which companies do this so I can inform my friends to NEVER buy service from these kinds of companies.

Wait a minute.

How can one use BOTH a USB and ethernet port at the same time, unless the company gives them TWO ip addresses? That's pretty rare, and pretty careless of the company.

Dennis said:
DBPowerWCRulez said:
Some cable modems have USB and Ethernet ports, they can set up for VP to cable modem's ethernet port and their puter connected to cable modem's USB portQUOTE]

Hey, DB, if you have seen this kind of setup first hand (from modem to VP in ethernet, comp in USB), please let me know which companies do this so I can inform my friends to NEVER buy service from these kinds of companies.

Wait a minute.

How can one use BOTH a USB and ethernet port at the same time, unless the company gives them TWO ip addresses? That's pretty rare, and pretty careless of the company.

Yea, very rarely gets 2 IPs.. best suggestion get a router with/or without firewall build-in your friend can only get 1 ip to help to avoid double internet monthly charges. if plan to buy a cable modem and router go to Best Buy, Compusa, Circuit City or a puter store.. and then go home and call cable provider to give the cable modem MAC address, your friend's cable tv company will activate a cable modem MAC address to be connected.

Last edited:
DBPowerWCRulez said:
Yea, very rarely gets 2 IPs.. best suggestion get a router with/or without firewall build-in your friend can only get 1 ip to help to avoid double internet monthly charges. if plan to buy a cable modem and router go to Best Buy, Compusa, Circuit City or a puter store.. and then go home and call cable provider to give the cable modem MAC address, your friend's cable tv company will activate a cable modem MAC address to be connected.

So, have you seen this actually happen? Which company was it?

Dennis said:
So, have you seen this actually happen? Which company was it?

Road Runner thru Time Warner Cable was given 2 IPs on my friend's VP and puter without a router..

For my internet is Earthlink Cable thru Time Warner.

DBPowerWCRulez said:
Road Runner thru Time Warner Cable was given 2 IPs on my friend's VP and puter without a router..

For my internet is Earthlink Cable thru Time Warner.

I believe they have some kind of special plan where you can get extra IP at extra $5 per month for up to 5 extra IP. IMO A router is far more worth it than getting an extra IP.

NW

NightwarriorJin said:
I believe they have some kind of special plan where you can get extra IP at extra $5 per month for up to 5 extra IP. IMO A router is far more worth it than getting an extra IP.

NW

That's usually the case when they give you a modem that has more than one ethernet port -- not when they give you a USB and Ethernet router and tell you to use both for two separate IP's.

Dennis said:
That's usually the case when they give you a modem that has more than one ethernet port -- not when they give you a USB and Ethernet router and tell you to use both for two separate IP's.

The routers doesn't gives 2 IP, the router is shared connection into 1 IP address, the cable modems have 2 ports (USB and Ethernet would get 2 IPs if you use VP and Puter)..

I own Motorola cable modem, LinkSys wireless (dead router) and new Dlink 604 router from VP installer, I keep for free!

I applied lastweek but they not send me e mail yet so I wounder how long I will have to wait ?

Soonersfan79 said:
I applied lastweek but they not send me e mail yet so I wounder how long I will have to wait ?

I applied for mine like two months ago. :mad: im gunna ask some other VRS to provide me D-Link iEye... anybody have luck with that part?

Soonersfan79 said:

I think it will be faster if you contact your local installer

We got two VPs in each dorm @ MSSD and 4 of them in each Team Leader's office at school, and couple of them in adminstrator's office... it's really awesome. Everybody always get on VP to call their parents, etc

I hear VRS may go down since they asked for more money from FCC.

What's FCC's answer? REJECT!

illustrator said:
I hear VRS may go down since they asked for more money from FCC.

What's FCC's answer? REJECT!

You might want to wait until the official announcement before you say stuff like that. I've got friends spreading rumors that people should give up their D-Link videophones and switch to Sorenson because they "hear that Sorenson will continue to provide VRS if the FCC cuts their rate." while Sprint, Hamilton, HOVRS, etc. will quit.

That is NOT TRUE. So, please, stop spreading those rumors.

Dennis said:
You might want to wait until the official announcement before you say stuff like that. I've got friends spreading rumors that people should give up their D-Link videophones and switch to Sorenson because they "hear that Sorenson will continue to provide VRS if the FCC cuts their rate." while Sprint, Hamilton, HOVRS, etc. will quit.

That is NOT TRUE. So, please, stop spreading those rumors.

it's from deaf news. Not RUMOR. It's real. but alldeaf.com won't allow that certain deaf news. ***********.com

If this word is censored, then obviously, you may not see that news.

Soonersfan79 said:
Thought Soerenson support D-Link too ?

Sorenson will work with whatever you have. Their own equipment doesn't allow for you to CHOOSE any other provider in the case that they are closed, busy, or experiencing technical difficulties. The standard D-Link equipment allows you to connect to any of the VRS companies.

There was a situation a while back when Sorenson had released some sort of software upgrade where someone could change a D-Link DVC-1000 into a Sorenson VP-100, and that would force that user to only use Sorenson VRS. There was no option to change back.

Back