Sorenson VP-100 Videophone

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
I heard we can get this free, is this good???

I just applied for a free one. hopefully it will work.......why not I just got DSL this week :) :type:

BabyPhat21 said:
I heard we can get this free, is this good???

I just applied for a free one. hopefully it will work.......why not I just got DSL this week :) :type:
Thats what I heard too and my friends has it. Its look good while we are talking beside my friend is chatting with me from his living room. Its kind of strange. :)

If you're looking for free webcams, you can contact just about any of the relay service companies. Just look up the manager for your state, and email them.

For example, for Sprint:
http://www.sprintbiz.com/government/relay/contacts.html
Look up your state, and contact their account manager, OR

email customer service Sprint.TRSCustServ@mail.sprint.com and tell them you want a webcam. If you tell them where you live, they'll direct someone to you.

I dunno how it works for the other companies. I've tried out most of them.

WHOO HOOO, I just got mine yesterday and my friends are also getting them!! its FREE this is the website link....... Free Sorenson

you do need DSL, Cable Modem, high speed net and a TV!!! :) they also have test so you can test your internet speed......Go get it, I dont like webcam, they are so choppy, this one is so smooth for signing!!! and good picture quality!!!

I like VPs too, but one negative thing about it is that if your friend doesn't have one, and you try to connect with them on VP via Netmeeting, it is not very smooth. VP to VP, it is great though!

Yeah, those free VP-100 or Dlinks for TVs are WAY much better than those crap freebie webcams they give you for the computer!

I also have a VP-100 too.. You can register your VP number at www.deafvp.com..

I've had my VP-100 for almost a year now and L-O-V-E it. It is a "network cam" which hooks up directly to your ISP cable/DSL modem and viewed on a TV set as compared to a "web cam" which connect from your PC port and viewed on your PC monitor. The VP-100 produces superior quality video over a web cam. Since the VP-100 does not interfere with your PC usage so you can be surfing 'em Internet while VP-100 is on waiting for a phone call or even during a VP-100 call. I also added a flasher unit that is built specially for videophone connection which I got from http://www.deafworks.com ... I am sure there's other flashers on the market that'll work just as well. I recommend connecting a flasher to the VP-100 cuz there's times you might be busy doing something on your PC that you don't notice that you've got a call on the VP-100. Go ahead and try it you've got nuthin' to lose since it's FREE. The VP-100 unit is basically the same as the D-Link videophones which you can purchase for around $150 ((and maybe cheaper if ya look around)) The only difference is that the VP-100 is programmed to work with Sorenson Relay ... hey what do you expect you're getting it free so can't be choosy! :wiggle:

I signed up for the Sorenson video phone yesterday at DeafExpo. I also just bought a better webcam so my daughter can also use the sprint video relay. got a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000

I am thinking about registering for my own VP-100 when I move to Phoenix for the summer.. My parents just got a new cable internet 2 days ago, so it is an available option for me! Whoo-hoo!

bbnt said:
I signed up for the Sorenson video phone yesterday at DeafExpo. I also just bought a better webcam so my daughter can also use the sprint video relay. got a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000

Thinking of getting a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 too, but am waiting a while to save up for it. The lowest I seen it is like 80$. I can't connect with my friends online with VP sometimes, so I'd need to use a webcam too, ugh.

paid $ 72.94 on amazon and that included shipping

Deafvp

I had known that DeafVP.com's members almost use videophone phone numbers only. Not IP address. You can't call friends or family that have a D-Link i2eye videophone when your attempt to dial them using the phone number method because the Sorenson VP-100 and the D-Link i2eye videophone use different directories to register phone numbers. I had told DeafVP.com agent that suppose to add IP address on feature of their web page. But they said that we appreciate your suggestion, but we will most likely not add support for
IP addresses. You may wonder why we do not allow members to add their IP
address. We decided against IP addresses for the important reason of
security. If thousands of IP addresses were visible on deafVP.com, the site
and its members would become prime targets for hackers.
I think that support to add two text boxes of "Sorenson VP-100" and "D-Link i2eye" with using VP phone number

Last edited:
When there is blackout while deaf don't have telephone, only cable. No way, they able to make call or contact anywhere. How? :shock:

dbarovian said:
I had known that DeafVP.com's members almost use videophone phone numbers only. Not IP address. You can't call friends or family that have a D-Link i2eye videophone when your attempt to dial them using the phone number method because the Sorenson VP-100 and the D-Link i2eye videophone use different directories to register phone numbers. I had told DeafVP.com agent that suppose to add IP address on feature of their web page. But they said that we appreciate your suggestion, but we will most likely not add support for
IP addresses. You may wonder why we do not allow members to add their IP
address. We decided against IP addresses for the important reason of
security. If thousands of IP addresses were visible on deafVP.com, the site
and its members would become prime targets for hackers.
I think that support to add two text boxes of "Sorenson VP-100" and "D-Link i2eye" with using VP phone number

What the heck? No, that is NOT the case.

Think about this: WHAT could the hackers HACK if they have your IP address? The VP-100? What will they do? There's no information on the VP-100, no credit card info, you're already listed on DeafVP with your phone number, so that's not private. So, what? There's no NEED for security with a videophone!

If you were hearing, and your phone company said you can only call AT&T or Sprint or Verizon callers, would you buy your service from them? Cell phones sometimes offer plans where you can have unlimited minutes to call the same cell service user, but you can STILL CALL anyone!

Last edited:
Dennis said:

Think about this: WHAT could the hackers HACK if they have your IP address? The VP-100? What will they do? There's no information on the VP-100, no credit card info, you're already listed on DeafVP with your phone number, so that's not private. So, what? There's no NEED for security with a videophone!

If you were hearing, and your phone company said you can only call AT&T or Sprint or Verizon callers, would you buy your service from them? Cell phones sometimes offer plans where you can have unlimited minutes to call the same cell service user, but you can STILL CALL anyone!
Good Point. If they disagree what you say and what next would you say?

I have Sorenson VP 100 here, but it's not working....I tried to follow the instructions on how to get it fixed from the document of Sorenson VRS e-mailed me.....it didn't seem to help. it's been collecting dust ever since because they won't send out a tech person to come check it. It's kinda complicated issue.

sequoias said:
I have Sorenson VP 100 here, but it's not working....I tried to follow the instructions on how to get it fixed from the document of Sorenson VRS e-mailed me.....it didn't seem to help. it's been collecting dust ever since because they won't send out a tech person to come check it. It's kinda complicated issue.

did you try to contact your local installer?

Yes I tried to contact the local installer, but he didn't reply back, I tried to IM him many times.....I don't have his sidekick e-mail...I will ask my friend if he still has that e-mail...anyways

Dennis said:

Some VP users don't have a router box or firewall software, then the hackers would break into their puters.

Better get router with firwall build-in having "Forward" to private vp's box;
TCP 1720 x.x.x.125 <-- vp's private addy
TCP/UPD 15328-15333 x.x.x.125 <-- vp's private addy

if you used GRC.com scanning probes, you don't have worry because the router ONLY forwarding to VP box on selected ports above and your puter totally safe :)

DBPowerWCRulez said:
Some VP users don't have a router box or firewall software, then the hackers would break into their puters.

Better get router with firwall build-in having "Forward" to private vp's box;
TCP 1720 x.x.x.125 <-- vp's private addy
TCP/UPD 15328-15333 x.x.x.125 <-- vp's private addy

if you used GRC.com scanning probes, you don't have worry because the router ONLY forwarding to VP box on selected ports above and your puter totally safe :)

How can you have a VP-100 sharing an internet line with a computer without a router?

It's possible to have a router without a firewall, but if you got the VP-100 from Sorenson, they provide you with a router if you do not have one, and configure it for firewall access.

Back