Should We Feed The Poor ?

Heath said:
Please remember this is a movie made in a negative light during the post Vietnam War years. People did not understand what was really going on with the high crime rate of Vietnam Veterans returning statesides but please , please remember that there were many positive and very successful Vietnam Veterans that returned statesides and became businessmen, policemen etc. , and most important of all they went back to being fathers who love their children very much and be with their wife again. They have been successful so please do not think all Vietnam Veterans are like this but this is some of what PTSD looks like but remember this is Hollywood, PTSD in some combat veterans minds are mild, some are horrifying, some Vietnam veterans have no problem remembering the war. It depends on the individual.

I am not saying ALL vets are homeless and mentally ill. But when one talks about the homeless, I do not want to forget about the vets; there are some vets who are homeless.

Some vets are lucky to come back without the PTSD aftereffects of fighting in a war and others are not. Some vets are lucky to come back whole, others come back missing an arm or a leg or even worse.

My boyfriend's grandfather is a vet, and he is fine. He is one of the lucky ones. Same goes for my stepsister's grandfather, he is a WWII vet.

But when it comes to my friend that I met in Milwaukee, he was not lucky.

Wars ARE very traumatic.

Heath said:
You forgot one thing. I was homeless and I can speak on this subject myself because I have been there and seen homelessness firsthand.

I am surprised and sorry that you were homeless before. How could
this happen to you before ? What experience did u have when
you were homeless ? Did you mean that they beat you up
only because you were homeless ? Did they give you food etc ?
Hope you don't mind me asking.

Every time I see homeless on the street I usually get very
emotionally upset.

Y said:
I am surprised and sorry that you were homeless before. How could
this happen to you before ? What experience did u have when
you were homeless ? Did you mean that they beat you up
only because you were homeless ? Did they give you food etc ?
Hope you don't mind me asking.

Every time I see homeless on the street I usually get very
emotionally upset.

It was through my own fault. I was on drugs and having a very rough time in my life. My dad just had died and I left home out of respect for my mom. I went through some another things. I did get food, place to stay in the homeless shelters but found them too dangerous than the city jail so I just went homeless on my own then I ended up with the wrong crowd for a while then I finally decided to get myself together and stopped doing drugs. I tried begging for money and I did make some money but I realized that is no way to live after looking in my hat for money, to count how much I had. That kind of life is no good. Events in my life soon took a turn for the better and I am okay now but that was a real eye opener for me. Don't get too emotionally upset because the majority of the homeless people are drug addicts or they just got done with prison. I don't personally feel that too sorry for them. The only ones that I can understand are the veterans and those who lost their home due to house fire and have to stay in the homeless shelter amongst drug addicts and killers that just got out of prison.

Heath said:
The only ones that I can understand are the veterans and those who lost their home due to house fire and have to stay in the homeless shelter amongst drug addicts and killers that just got out of prison.

So you don't care about the mentally ill? :(

Here's some info about what the mentally ill, especially the homeless ones, have to go through.

http://www2.jsonline.com/news/brokenpromises/

Last edited:
LuciaDisturbed said:
So you don't care about the mentally ill? :(

Yes I care and they do need a place to stay in a safe, clean environment and it is not their fault they have this mental condition.

Levonian said:
Heath, get out yer precious little bible. There’s something in there (don’t ask me where) about leaving a certain percentage of a farmer’s land unharvested so that poor people can avail themselves of it. Maybe Reba and/or CyberRed can help me out here. As a matter of fact, it was made into mandatory public policy in France as early as the seventeenth century. That is the basis of this painting, which everybody with a sixth-grade education or higher should recognize. That’s the problem with the vast majority of you Neo-Christian bible jockeys—you walk the walk and talk the talk, but when the chips are down, you really understand diddly-squat about true Christian ethics.
The principle of gleaning:

Leviticus 19
9 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest. 10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 24
19 When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands. 20 When thou beatest thine olive tree, thou shalt not go over the boughs again: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow. 21 When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean it afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.

The practice of gleaning:

Ruth 2
1 And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech; and his name was Boaz. 2 And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter. 3 And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech.

4 And, behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said unto the reapers, The LORD be with you. And they answered him, The LORD bless thee. 5 Then said Boaz unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this? 6 And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab: 7 And she said, I pray you, let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves: so she came, and hath continued even from the morning until now, that she tarried a little in the house. 8 Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter? Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens: 9 Let thine eyes be on the field that they do reap, and go thou after them: have I not charged the young men that they shall not touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go unto the vessels, and drink of that which the young men have drawn. 10 Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger? 11 And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. 12 The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust. 13 Then she said, Let me find favour in thy sight, my lord; for that thou hast comforted me, and for that thou hast spoken friendly unto thine handmaid, though I be not like unto one of thine handmaidens. 14 And Boaz said unto her, At mealtime come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and dip thy morsel in the vinegar. And she sat beside the reapers: and he reached her parched corn, and she did eat, and was sufficed, and left. 15 And when she was risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not: 16 And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not.

17 So she gleaned in the field until even, and beat out that she had gleaned: and it was about an ephah of barley. 18 And she took it up, and went into the city: and her mother in law saw what she had gleaned: and she brought forth, and gave to her that she had reserved after she was sufficed. 19 And her mother in law said unto her, Where hast thou gleaned to day? and where wroughtest thou? blessed be he that did take knowledge of thee. And she shewed her mother in law with whom she had wrought, and said, The man's name with whom I wrought to day is Boaz. 20 And Naomi said unto her daughter in law, Blessed be he of the LORD, who hath not left off his kindness to the living and to the dead. And Naomi said unto her, The man is near of kin unto us, one of our next kinsmen. 21 And Ruth the Moabitess said, He said unto me also, Thou shalt keep fast by my young men, until they have ended all my harvest. 22 And Naomi said unto Ruth her daughter in law, It is good, my daughter, that thou go out with his maidens, that they meet thee not in any other field. 23 So she kept fast by the maidens of Boaz to glean unto the end of barley harvest and of wheat harvest; and dwelt with her mother in law.

So I guess that whole thing about Jesus feeding the 5000 was just a ruse? Sorry Heath, but its a bit more complicated than "they need to get a job."

My take on things?If the US would spend 10% of what it spend on war/foreign aid it wouldn't HAVE to worry about not having enough $ to help those who are homeless and hungry. Its funny in today's world the US brags about being the most technologically advanced nation, and it is more interested in helping the needy in other countries than its own.

Levonian said:
Heath, get out yer precious little bible. There’s something in there (don’t ask me where) about leaving a certain percentage of a farmer’s land unharvested so that poor people can avail themselves of it. Maybe Reba and/or CyberRed can help me out here. As a matter of fact, it was made into mandatory public policy in France as early as the seventeenth century. That is the basis of this painting, which everybody with a sixth-grade education or higher should recognize. That’s the problem with the vast majority of you Neo-Christian bible jockeys—you walk the walk and talk the talk, but when the chips are down, you really understand diddly-squat about true Christian ethics.

Gleanin'

Process of gatherin' grain or produce left in a field by reapers or on a vine or tree by pickers. Mosaic law required leavin' this portion so that the poor and aliens might have a means of earnin' a livin'. ( Lev. 19:9-10; 23:22; Deut. 24:19-21; compare Ruth 2 ). Isaiah compared the few grapes or olives left for gleaners to the small ramnant of Israel God would leave when He judged them ( Isa. 17:5-9 ). One day, however, God would again gather or glean His remnant one by one and return them to worship in Jerusalem ( Isa. 27:12 ).

Reba has pretty much covered it as well.

neecy said:
My take on things?If the US would spend 10% of what it spend on war/foreign aid it wouldn't HAVE to worry about not having enough $ to help those who are homeless and hungry. Its funny in today's world the US brags about being the most technologically advanced nation, and it is more interested in helping the needy in other countries than its own.

:gpost: I agree!

Back