Should the USA submit to Copenhagen treaty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't think that the politicians were actually going to accomplish something, did you? :P :laugh2:

see? there you go. this is just your another fear-mongering last minute scare tactic by :crazy: people. I'm glad that USA is still maintaining its "yea yea yea whatever you say" attitude to UN.
Fear mongering? No.

Warning. Yes.

As indicated by your prior post, the general American public wasn't even aware of the COP 15 meeting. Obama could have gone to it and signed the treaty without you even knowing it.

Now, people can be more informed and contact their Senators. That way, the Senate will not confirm the treaty if Obama decides to sign it at some point.

I'm glad that Obama won't be attending the meeting. However, there are many of his supporters who will be disappointed, I'm sure. Maybe he can send Al Gore in his place. :lol:

but what you think why this isn't reported in major news? because we all know it'll never happen. Obama knows better not to sign this silly treaty. After all - our President of United States made an oath to this country to uphold its Constitution. :cool2:

but what you think why this isn't reported in major news? because we all know it'll never happen.
Since when does the press decided whether or not to report something based on "it'll never happen?" They are supposed to report newsworthy current events, not decide what will or will not happen in the future.

The COP 15 is a scheduled international event to which our country has been invited to participate. Are you saying that the press some how knows ahead of time that the meeting won't take place so it's not worth reporting?

Obama knows better not to sign this silly treaty. After all - our President of United States made an oath to this country to uphold its Constitution. :cool2:
So former President Bush was also right not to sign the Kyoto treaty for the same reason? Good. :)

Since when does the press decided whether or not to report something based on "it'll never happen?" They are supposed to report newsworthy current events, not decide what will or will not happen in the future.

The COP 15 is a scheduled international event to which our country has been invited to participate. Are you saying that the press some how knows ahead of time that the meeting won't take place so it's not worth reporting?
the fact that this wasn't reported in major news source is the proof that this is nothing but a silly farce.... but that's my assumption. You'll have to ask them why this isn't reported in major news source. IMO - this kind of news doesn't go to front page. just blog site or youtube. :)

So former President Bush was also right not to sign the Kyoto treaty for the same reason? Good. :)
I believe I stated my position on this issue long while back that it is pointless to sign up for this noble-yet-useless Kyoto Treaty since our billion dollars green-saving effort will be gone to waste by the pollution especially from china and india. In northern hemisphere - the wind blows eastward (clockwise) meaning.... the pollution from Asia will come to us.

the fact that this wasn't reported in major news source is the proof that this is nothing but a silly farce.... but that's my assumption. You'll have to ask them why this isn't reported in major news source. IMO - this kind of news doesn't go to front page. just blog site or youtube. :)
What do you consider a "major news source?"

CNN
"On Tuesday, more than 100 world leaders gathered at the United Nations for a climate summit. They were called together by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to build momentum for the U.N. climate talks in Copenhagen, Denmark, this December."

Commentary: Real progress on climate change - CNN.com

MSNBC

"The Copenhagen talks in December are looming and little real negotiating time is left "to resolve some of the most complex issues," the U.N. secretary general told the World Climate Conference. "We need rapid progress.""

U.N. chief: Rapid progress needed on climate - Climate Change- msnbc.com

"Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., the leading sponsor of the Democrats' climate bill, said U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Monday and said it was urgent for the United States to show "some movement in the Senate" on restricting greenhouse gases ahead of the upcoming talks in Copenhagen."

Senate hearing kicks off climate bill - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

"The new accord is due to be concluded at a U.N. conference in Copenhagen, Denmark, in December, which begins — according to the digital countdown — 242 days, 12 hours some minutes and seconds after the talks in Bonn adjourned Wednesday night.

Haggling over every detail and concept, the U.N. talks are drawing the general outline of a Copenhagen agreement. But they have made little headway on the core issues: fixing mandatory emission reduction targets for industrial countries, setting objectives for developing countries to rein in their own rapidly expanding emissions, and raising some $100 billion a year to help poor countries adjust to changing climate conditions."

Obama seeks to shift climate talks - Climate Change- msnbc.com

NY Times

"With the clock running out and deep differences unresolved, it now appears that there is little chance that international climate change negotiations in Copenhagen in December will produce a comprehensive and binding new treaty on global warming."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/s...ml?scp=1&sq=copenhagen climate meeting&st=cse

BBC

* News - Science & Environment - Harrabin's Notes: China's vulnerability . Last updated: 19 Oct 2009

But his controversial remarks have handed ammunition to China's rivals in the forthcoming Copenhagen climate talks. China's intensity target will be a major bargaining chip at Copenhagen.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8311223.stm

More results from "News - Science & Environment"
# News - Scotland - Getting a seat at the top table . Last updated: 1 Oct 2009

BBC Scotland's Glenn Campbell on the row over Scottish representation at the Copenhagen climate talks.. Scottish ministers will be fully represented at Copenhagen by Ed Miliband."

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8285710.stm
# News - Asia-Pacific - Full text: Leaders' statement on climate . Last updated: 9 Jul 2008

The G8 leaders from eight emerging nations agree a "shared vision" on climate change - but disagree on specifics.. Climate change is one of the great global challenges of our time.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7496850.stm
# BBC World Service - News - China pledges climate change action

The move has prompted hopes that a global climate deal could be reached at the Copenhagen climate conference in December. Is it possible to cut emissions and meet energy needs?

www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2.../090923_climate_wt_sl.shtml
# Monday 19 October 2009

It is 49 days now to the crucial Copenhagen climate summit.

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/fr.../monday_19_october_2009.html

FOX

"UNITED NATIONS — Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Wednesday that China's leaders have assured him they want to seal a deal on a new U.N. climate treaty at a conference in Copenhagen, Denmark in December."

United Nations Chief Says China Wants Climate Deal - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

"With weeks remaining before 192 nations gather in Copenhagen, Denmark to negotiate a new global treaty to slow climate change, time is running out for the Senate to bridge the differences and pass a climate bill this year."

Obama Administration Seeks Climate Change Action - Political News - FOXNews.com

duplicate post

right. that's what I see in news but nothing about sovereignty or whatsoever as mentioned in your first post.

Wow, Reba, lots of references! We need to be ever-vigilant! I hope our leaders will do the right thing.

right. that's what I see in news but nothing about sovereignty or whatsoever as mentioned in your first post.
Did you read the official COP 15 website links? That's where the details are.

Wow, Reba, lots of references! We need to be ever-vigilant! I hope our leaders will do the right thing.
So far, so good. It looks like Obama isn't going to attend the meeting after all, and Congress isn't in a hurry to support the treaty. It looks like we got a reprieve for the time being.

Did you read the official COP 15 website links? That's where the details are.
yea. typical of them (not America) to come up with such ludicrous idea

So far, so good. It looks like Obama isn't going to attend the meeting after all, and Congress isn't in a hurry to support the treaty. It looks like we got a reprieve for the time being.
cuz we have common sense after all. shame on them for expecting us to pick up the tab :nono: I wasn't even concerned in the first place because I know we're not gonna sign up for this farce.

they need to carry their own weight first before they stick their hands out for $$$

What's frightening, the speaker in the first reba post or the threaty?

Is the speaker OK or not, when claiming that greenpeace, taken over by communists, have a secret agenda to create a world communist goverment :lol:

He also says that there is "no problem with climate..".

But great to see stuff like this subtitled, thanks for that one Reba!

Oh my goodness :eek3::shock:

Honestly, I haven't looked at it, but guess it can only be for Americans who are afraid of the boogey man! I mean, seriously now, communism???

Obama to attend global climate summit

CBC News - Technology & Science - Obama to attend global climate summit

U.S. President Barack Obama will go to the global climate summit in Copenhagen next month, a White House official said Wednesday.

The United Nations welcomed the move, saying the presence of the U.S. leader would be crucial to advancing talks on global reductions to greenhouse-gas emissions.

"I think it's critical that President Obama attend the climate change summit in Copenhagen," Yvo de Boer, the UN's climate treaty chief, told reporters in Bonn, Germany, on Wednesday.

"The world is very much looking to the United States to come forward with an emission reduction target and contribute to financial support to help developing countries."

Obama will appear at the summit on Dec. 9 before heading to Oslo to accept his Nobel Peace Prize, according to a White House official.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is not planning to attend, according to his office, as Canada considers the summit a ministerial event. His office said Harper would consider going if the summit turns into a full-fledged conference of world leaders.

At least 65 world leaders are expected to be there, but unlike Obama, most are expected to attend the final days of the conference, which runs from Dec. 7 to 18.

Summit unlikely to produce pact

The Copenhagen summit had long been anticipated as a potential forum for establishing a new global climate pact. But politicians around the world, including Canadian Environment Minister Jim Prentice, have signalled the meetings are unlikely to produce a replacement for the Kyoto Protocol.

The 1997 protocol only required 37 industrialized nations to cut emissions, and the lack of participation of the United States and China — the two largest emitters of greenhouse gases in the world — helped undermine its effectiveness.

The UN had hoped the U.S. under Obama would not only join a new agreement, but also help lead the way for others to participate. As a possible step in that direction, administration officials said earlier this week that the U.S. will present a target for reducing carbon dioxide emissions at the summit.

Emissions-reduction targets are already being dealt with by the U.S. Congress. A bill passed by the House of Representatives requires a reduction of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions by 17 per cent from 2005 levels by 2020, while a bill before the Senate seeks a 20 per cent reduction over the same time period.

The European Union has urged other developed countries to match its more ambitious pledge to cut emissions by 20 per cent from 1990 levels by 2020, and has said it would cut up to 30 per cent if other developed countries follow suit.

The Conservative government in Canada has pledged to lower greenhouse gases 20 per cent from 2006 levels by 2020. That objective has drawn criticism from opposition leaders for being calculated not on fixed emissions, as the European targets are, but on an intensity basis, meaning emissions would be tallied relative to the economic output of various industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back