Self-trained Assistence/Service Hearing Dogs

Grummer

Reaction score
Has anyone had self-trained their own hearing dog(s)?

Any good links ?

what breeds did/do you have for your hearing dogs , how do you describe the 'flow' between your pouch and you ?

What steps / process of training is recommended?
I have heard of clicker trainign, but not really my cup of tea.- still fairly open to new ideas, need convincing that's all

I have found 1 great site here's linky below

http://sdog.danawheels.net/ot-adog.shtml

as a note, i want looking around for an replacement, probably a Weimaraner puppy to train it up

Grummer said:
Has anyone had self-trained their own hearing dog(s)?

Any good links ?

what breeds did/do you have for your hearing dogs , how do you describe the 'flow' between your pouch and you ?

What steps / process of training is recommended?
I have heard of clicker trainign, but not really my cup of tea.- still fairly open to new ideas, need convincing that's all

I have found 1 great site here's linky below

http://sdog.danawheels.net/ot-adog.shtml

as a note, i want looking around for an replacement, probably a Weimaraner puppy to train it up

Grummer,

Dana would be a good resource, as I used to belong to that forum. Keep in mind, though, that they are of the mind of "my way or no way" and if you disagree, you will be booted from her website. Dr. Fred there is quite a character, but don't let him scare you; he's in a w/c, service dog that's unleashed and he packs a sidearm.

On the topic . . . I have trained my own hearing dog and, like you, am not fond of clicker training, as I don't like the sound or the fact that hearies teach this way. I have my own copyrighted method and, may I add, my hearing dog acts better than all the kids in any business at any time they are open. I've received literally hundreds of complements on how well trained and how well behaved my hearing dog is, but it has been a lot of work. I wouldn't trade any of that time in training for anything. You should see what security does in businesses that are less than clean and the looks on faces when I make the remark that my hearing dog is cleaner than your restroom (I have made the remark).

Just remember, restaurants do not have to provide water for your dog; I was refused once . . . hence, I didn't leave a tip. :D Otherwise, I do tip extra for water. In addition, as I have stated, my dog is very well behaved and it's only the trouble makers that create the trouble for me. Ask Dana or read what she has gone through, including getting arrested, because of her disability and having a dog.

Above all else, don't take any guff from anyone when you're out and about with your dog. Remember, you will be looked at as if you are a circus act; people will pet your dog without permission; people will whistle at your dog; security will chase you around and people will gripe to them why they can't have their dogs with them (been told that, too). One security guard at West Acres in Fargo, ND, told me once that some people had just talked to him about me and why they can't have a dog in there and I do. He told them, "It's not your business." I high-fived him and told him I wished I could say that . . . then asked him permission to say it to people and he gave it to me. So far, I haven't had to say it . . . yet.

Watch your dog, too, around stupid people who are looking to you as if they're sizing you up for a lawsuit over a dog bite. Don't hesitate to scream at them and put them in their place. One group of crazy women, at about 1 in the morning, came up to me with a very young child, held the girl up and bent her head and face down, directly into Snickers face. I immediately screamed at them and asked them what they're doing AND told them I don't and won't pay for dog bites, neither would I put a dog down because of it.

You have to watch yourself and your dog at all times. Feel free to pm me for help. :)

Forgot to add . . . Snickers is part Akita, part German Shepherd and we work as a team. She knows what I need and want and I know her that well, too. I also feed her Nutro Dog Food only, plus treats (no rawhides).

Grummer said:
hasn't anyone got a hearing dog?
YES , I HAVE A HEARING EAR DOG , SHE IS A LABRADOR, MY SECOND ONE. MY FIRST ONE WAS A BORDER COLLIE, PASSED AWAY AT THE AGE OF 14, INCREDIBLY WORKED UP TO TWO MONTHS BEFORE SHE PASSED. REMEMBER I AM FROM ONTARIO. SO THE STEPS MAY BE DIFFERENT IN THE STATE. MINE WAS TRAINED BY THE LION CLUB. I DID THE REST OF THE EXTRA TRAINING SUITABLE FOR ME WHEN I BROUGHT HER HOME. ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK ME. ANOTHER ALLDEAF USER PEK1 CAN BE HELPFUL, TOO.

WOOt nice replies! , please some more?

its very hard to find people with similar interest in this, especially REAL deaf people with intellect and passion for animals, im leery of organisations (had a bad run with one of them, they seem try to hide their mistakes and all (its a long story, thing is my first hearing dog wasn't truely working and they didnt traing ME long enough to know what im doing, learnt in an awful hard way), so i lost faith in them, want to train my OWN - all so i got a lawyer friend whos' find out relevant legal information so I can protect myself and dog from mishaps or any loopholes, so to make sure i can make and have a dog thats legally a hearing dog.

good stuff! i'd pm , will do that :), , when i get a puppy, actually im going to order a book this week ;

see link,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0944875564/listenup/102-1083884-2906565

not sure what breed,

weimaraner, the ghost dog is cool, but pretty seldom of them around quite open to many other breeds, especially large dogs, cant stand small dogs.
like,
German Shepard,
Bearded collie,
Blue heller,
labrador/border collie cross (theres one right now at the SPCA), very nice but still now sure of it's behaviour (sign says "not for rural" ?? interesting comment seems to imply it chases animals....
border collie (has to be a very good one, hard to pick a good B/C, its very work-focused dog which can be very positive or a negative thing, quite a dictonomy) )
soft coated wheaten terrier - loverly breed, but will have to travel afar to find breeder (same as all above breeds)
rought coat collie (looks like lassie) i dont mind the brushing, it means closer relationship with the dog, i'm all for devotion
dobermann - ive Always liked them, family freinds are several as well as another (dad's freind) had 2, always loved them , looks fearsome, but if brought up in a loved environment they are really good. as does all other dogs, I know of a couple right now with a bullterrier (actually a fighting dog - worst than a pitbull) it was gorgeouis all to do with how the owners perceive it, raise it) thought i dont want one of those, not ' task-ready type of dogs) i want dogs that will work...as well as be loyal )

you can see, all the dogs i listed as 'working, intelligent,(even sheepdogs) robust, and flexiable to whatever duty it may call for to do.

cheers

I don't care if people have self-trained hearing dogs. I would rather the dog be certified before being allowed in no-dogs-allowed places.

i got a lawyer friend whos' find out relevant legal information so I can protect myself and dog from mishaps or any loopholes, so to make sure i can make and have a dog thats legally a hearing dog. !!!!!!!!!

also READ every words i posted, i didnt leave anything out important

dim flame from the void, you need new glasses

the dog(s) has to be trained, will be selected with utmost care, will screen their temperment, personality, and behaviour with diligence.
Obviously you just want to feel important, get a life, go jump in the lake

"Certification" not mandated per ADA.

VamPyroX said:
I don't care if people have self-trained hearing dogs. I would rather the dog be certified before being allowed in no-dogs-allowed places.

VamPyroX,

"Certification" is not required under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The animal has to be trained, that's all. If push comes to shove with mine, I always call the police and threaten a lawsuit.

Go to the DOJ website and find more information on Service Animals.

Hey Grummer,

You may want to contact Coloravalanche on her hearing dog. She, as I, trained her own. Not sure if she allows hers to be tested by anyone, I don't, however. Since the hearies flubbed diagnosing my hearing loss for several years when I was a kid, they have no say in my hearing dog.

Hi Pete,
so, how did you 'prove' your dog is trained when you deny anyone to test?!show them demonstration? and at where to get the 'approval'? sorry for this silly question but really im just bit curious...mind you im not in USA, our country is bit different, nevertheless I DID found out some 'legal clauses' all by myself, and its quite do-able, still im going to research (with so far , will canvas wider with help of my lawyer friend) more just to know EVERYTHING so when i get challenged by local governments (councils), i dont lose at all. its better to be well prepared obviously and obviously also i am going ensure my dog will be functioning and behaving at even higher standard than 'Hearing dogs people' level of competency....seriously its not funny

I had a hearing dog at one time, I got her from PADS in Vancouver BC, I miss her terribly! :(

Hi Pete,
so, how did you 'prove' your dog is trained when you deny anyone to test?!show them demonstration? and at where to get the 'approval'? sorry for this silly question but really im just bit curious...mind you im not in USA, our country is bit different, nevertheless I DID found out some 'legal clauses' all by myself, and its quite do-able, still im going to research (with so far , will canvas wider with help of my lawyer friend) more just to know EVERYTHING so when i get challenged by local governments (councils), i dont lose at all. its better to be well prepared obviously and obviously also i am going ensure my dog will be functioning and behaving at even higher standard than 'Hearing dogs people' level of competency....seriously its not funny

Got your pm, Grummer, but will answer this one publicly. Well, for starters, since "hearies" have screwed up with me and not diagosing me properly, I don't believe they have a say at all when it comes to the training of my own hearing dog or any dog used for the deaf/hoh. I don't need a hearies "approval" for anything, if at all. I would suggest that if they don't like that approach, they sue me. Yeah, that is blunt, but it is the truth. I've had many complements on how well trained and well behaved my dog is, so to have a hearing dog organization or anyone else test or "certify" my dog is out of the question. In the states, we have the ADA, of which I do use. Nothing in it requires a dog to be "certified." Hence, I will not honor anyone's request for either a demo or to prove my dog as a valid hearing dog for me.

Back