Sears, Kmart to merge

Myth:
Wal-Mart creates "hundreds" of new jobs for communities.

Fact:
Studies show that for every two jobs created by a Wal-Mart store, the community loses three. Jobs that are retained by a community are merely shifted from local businesses to the giant retailer. In a 1994 report, the Congressional Research Service warned Congress that communities need to evaluate the significance of any job gains at big-box stores against any loss of jobs due to reduced business at competing retailers. The report also pointed out that these so-called new jobs "provide significantly lower wages then jobs in many industries, and are often only part-time positions, seasonal opportunities, or subject to extensive turnover." The Real Story is that when Wal-Mart moves into the neighborhood, it devours local businesses and lowers community living standards. (Magatsu's comment: Thus proved my economy professor's lectures, thank you Dr. Lasscuet)

Myth:
Wal-Mart's presence in a community generates tax revenues.

Fact:
Studies conducted by small towns on the impact of proposed Wal-Mart stores have shown that tax revenue reductions are more likely to occur after a Wal-Mart moves into an area.

A Maryland study showed that in the years following the arrival of Wal-Mart, "town tax receipts from personal property and ordinary business corporation taxes grew but at a declining rate." The study said that "the expected growth in income taxes may have been offset by low-wage jobs offered by the large retailer and by the loss of employment in competing businesses. . . ."

Myth:
Wal-Mart's workers receive good health benefits.

Fact:
Wal-Mart's Health Coverage Leaves Most Workers Uncovered.

Huge employee premium payments and big deductibles keep participation in Wal-Mart's health plan to 38% of employees. That's 6 out of every 10 employees--more than 425,000 Wal-Mart employees, most of them women, who have no company provided health coverage. Nationally, more than 60% of workers are covered by company paid health plans. There's more: Wal-Mart workers pay insurance premiums that cover close to half of Wal-Mart's health plan expenses. The national average shows that employee premiums cover just over 25% of health plan expenses incurred by companies nationwide. The Real Story is that Wal-Mart freely acknowledges shifting its health care costs to taxpayers and responsible employers. A company spokesperson said, "[Wal-Mart employees] who choose not to participate in [Wal-Mart's health plan] usually get their health-care benefits from a spouse or the state or federal government." Wal-Mart is the biggest beneficiary of its health plan because the company shifts $1 billion in health care costs to the government and responsible employers.

Myth:
Wal-Mart has "always low prices, always."

Fact:
The local newspaper in Carroll County, Arkansas conducted a test of Wal-Mart's low price claim. Surveying a list of 19 common household items at six Wal-Mart stores over a one month period, the newspaper staff found that Wal-Mart was cheapest on only two of the items . The lowest register receipt for all 19 items was $12.91. The highest total for all items came from Wal-Mart at $15.86. The Real Story is the high cost of Wal-Mart's prices: lower wages, more imports, lost U.S. jobs, lower community living standards.

Myth:
Wal-Mart "Buys American" and Wal-Mart "Brings it Home to the USA."

Fact:
Two 1998 studies that surveyed clothing on Wal-Mart store racks and shelves found 80% and sometimes more thatn 9o% of the apparel items were produced overseas, many in countries where sweatshops and child labor are prevelant.

"The truth is," says the National Labor Committee, "Wal-Mart has moved far more production offshore than the industry average." There's more: Commenting on Wal-Mart's "Buy Mexican" program, an expert on economic nationalism said Wal-Mart is ". . .shamelessly manipulating nationalist sentiments in both countries. . . . For all its public nationalism, Wal-mart is reinvesting its all-American dollars overseas."

More ... http://www.flagstaffactivist.org/campaigns/walmyths.html

Do you want me to post more articles? More facts? More horribly truths? More child-labor articles? Again, that is only a fraction of Walmart and its many dark secrets.

Edit:Try and imagine if your child is working under these labor conditions. I don't think you would let your precious child work at there if you find out about these.

In fact, I don't think any people would buy anything from Walmart if they find out the ugliest facts about Walmart (hence why the studies show that increasing numbers of educated consumers refuse to buy anything from Walmart). It will be expose soon or later, I heard the rumor that one group is planning to make the documentary movie about that. That's just the beginning.

Last edited:
personally -- i do not like walmart, kmart or sears -- so i dont shop at any of those stores if i can avoid it 99% of the time but yea magatsu's posts does hit on target ref to Walmart -- i too have read those articles some time back

there are 2 franchises id like to see GONE:

Walmart has to GO -- theyre one of the worst franchises ive seen and read enuf about their business practices to know that theyre corrupted

McDonalds also has to GO -- im so SICK of seeing McDonald's at every block/corner/towns/wherever the fuck u see them :madfawk:

im sorry for the temporary thread derailment if i have done that -- *puts it back on topic*

again i do not like either one of them 3

TiaraPrincess- I suggest that you go back to the store where you applied for a job, ask them about any opening job and show them you're still interested, etc.

Well, I am not looking for something else. Maybe if this doesn't work out :). I like Target, Wal-Mart-K-Mart :ugh: . Target's a tad expensive with clothes etc., so I almost never buy there, but I like it.

I don't like the malls a lot. Expensive. Come on 42 dollars for a pair of jeans?

TiaraPrincess said:
I don't like the malls a lot. Expensive. Come on 42 dollars for a pair of jeans?
Is there any kind of outlet mall near your area? In my area, there is and they sell the same jeans with no defects or flaws for only $20 or cheaper.

I usually bought the clothes from outlet mall or local beach stores.

Back