Sears, Kmart to merge

tekkmortal

Reaction score
Retail giant will compete with Wal-Mart, Target

By Megan Reichgott
The Associated Press

Chicago - Discount retailer Kmart Holding Corp. is combining with one of the most venerable names in U.S. retailing, Sears, Roebuck & Co., in a surprise $11 billion deal that will create the nation's third largest retailer.

The company being created by the combination announced today would be known as Sears Holdings Corp., but it was clearly orchestrated by Kmart chairman and Sears shareholder Edward Lampert, who will lead a new board that will be dominated by Kmart directors.

It will continue to operate the Kmart and Sears stores under their current brand names.

The deal marks a remarkable comeback for Kmart, once known for its "Blue Light Specials," which had scaled back operations after seeking bankruptcy protection in 2002.

Sears' roots date to the late 1800s when it offered merchandise by mail order to farmers. It opened its first retail store in 1925 and eventually became the nation's biggest retailer.

Advertisement

The combined company is expected to have $55 billion in annual revenues and nearly 3,500 stores. That means it will trail only Wal-Mart and Target among the biggest U.S. retailers.

It will have its headquarters in the northwestern Chicago suburb of Hoffman Estates, home of Sears, but will maintain a "significant presence" in Troy, Mich., where Kmart is based.

Under the agreement, unanimously approved by both companies' boards of directors, Kmart shareholders will receive one share of new Sears Holdings stock for each Kmart share.

Sears, Roebuck shareholders can choose $50 in cash or half a share of Sears Holdings stock. That portion of the deal values Sears shares at $11 billion, a 10.6 percent premium over its value at Tuesday's close.

With Lampert as chairman, Sears CEO Alan Lacy will be vice chairman and CEO of the new company. The 10-member Sears Holdings board will have seven members from Kmart and three from Sears.

Lampert, Kmart's majority shareholder, is also Sears' largest shareholder, holding a 15 percent stake in Sears through his ESL Investments Inc.

The merger, expected to close by the end of March, is subject to approval by Kmart and Sears shareholders and regulatory agencies.

Kmart filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in early 2002, leading to the closing of about 600 stores, termination of 57,000 employees and cancellation of company stock.

It emerged from bankruptcy in May 2003 and on today posted its fourth consecutive quarterly profit. Its stock price has risen to $101.22 on Tuesday from $15 a share when it emerged from bankruptcy.

Sears had long fallen out of favor on Wall Street after losing ground to competitors and enduring sluggish sales for years.

The company last fall introduced its Sears Grand stores, which offer grocery and convenience items besides traditional Sears fare such as clothing, home appliances and tools.

Kmart has been shedding many of its underperforming stores, a strategy that has helped it bounce back. In fact, it has sold 50 of those stores to Sears for $575 million.

It has appeared that Sears could be shifting toward a similar real estate strategy since the disclosure that Vornado Realty Trust, a real estate investment trust, had purchased a 4.3 percent interest in the chain. Since that Nov. 5 announcement, Sears' stock has jumped 25 percent, closing at $45.20 Tuesday.

The merger will not affect agreements to carry home and fashion lines including Martha Stewart Everyday, Lands' End and Sesame Street, the companies said.

Wal-Mart dethroned Sears as the nation's largest retailer in 1991.

Sears dates to 1886, when Richard W. Sears started a watch company. Alvah C. Roebuck joined the company the following year as a watchmaker, and within a few years they expanded to a mail-order general merchandise business. The first Sears catalog was issued in 1896. The company opened its first stores in the 1920s.

The first Kmart discount store was opened in 1962 by the S.S. Kresge Co., the retail chain founded in 1899 by Sebastian S. Kresge. By 1976, with Kmart sales topped 90 percent of Kresge's total sales, the company name was changed to Kmart Corp.

Wimps! :greddy:

Well, at least we can happily shop around buying low-priced/discounted stuff from Sears. Huzzah! ;)

That's bad and good news. Less competitve to low the price. More power and economy to top the stinky store a.k.a. Walmart. Walmart MUST get rid out of America.

Let's hope that Sears doesn't go down with Kmart! :roll:

I have to admit I'm totally flabbergasted when I saw the merger being annonuced on CNN while I was picking up lunch at the Steak Escape this afternoon. Caught me really off guard!

Let's hope I can buy a shed load of Craftsman tools at the local Kmart and not have to drive a LOT to a big city Sears store or order 'em off the Sears catalogs. Same thing for Kmart's Martha Stewart stuff could be found in the Sears store!

I'm seeing a lot of big mergers lately like Daimler (the makers of Mercedes-Benz cars) and Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler) in 1998, the AOL and Time Warner merger, Morgan Stanley swallowing Dean Witter, and other countless mergers.

I envision that once the merger between Kmart and Sears is completed, Wally World will have to look over its shoulder as Sears-Kmart claws its way back to the top position that Sears lost to Wally World in 1991.

Last edited:
Wal-Mart has more than a quarter trillion dollars in sales. I doubt Sears-Kmart ever will be able to reach that.

:werd: I just checked the newspaper this morning. Walmart makes more than 5 times of what Sears and Kmart makes together. ;)

I think its a way to make sure Kmart and Sears survive...dont forget Sam's Club, Costco and Target. Still strong in the discount market.

Sam's Club is one of Wal-Mart's divisions. (Wal-Mart runs Wal-Mart discount stores, supercenters, Sam's Clubs, Neighborhood Markets, and International stores.) me -> :slap:<- DD

Merge Sears/Kmart is the "BIGGEST Business Mistake"
I've ever seen in my entire life...
This merge would NOT solve the
Walmart problem... Simple. That's so Dumb !

now i'm seeing more companies are merging.. just like Bank One and Chase.. those two are merging.. whats going on :shock:

Magastu- be glad that walmart is in current USA market because they hired millions of people.. the most of any other companies.. also wal-mart created 475,000 constrution jobs..

Well, I love K-Mart. I like shopping there, but their organization probably is what sucks. They could use more workers in each department organizing and keeping things tidier. I applied there, but no calls *sniff* Sorry, I just liked their clothes and recently saw gorgeous purses never before seen at K-Mart and thought I could use their discounts to buy me clothes LOL.

Anyway, I read about that the other day. I also know that Red Lobster owns Olive Garden or is in partner or whatever...they are connected.

I didn't expect to see K-Mart merging with Sears. Now I'm not too sure if the merger was such a good idea. I kind of told several of my friends that I believe K-Mart would come around and possibly merge with Target. What is next? Wal-Mart merging with J.C. Penney's? :ugh: I'd rather see K-Mart back being number one again! I don't care for Wal-Mart!

TiaraPrincess- I suggest that you go back to the store where you applied for a job, ask them about any opening job and show them you're still interested, etc. :)

And, yeah, Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants are divisions of Darden Corporation.

not me, I don't care much about Kmart or Walmart...I love Target alot better than others...I wouldn't want to see Kmart with Target, no thanks

DeafSCUBA98 said:
Magastu- be glad that walmart is in current USA market because they hired millions of people.. the most of any other companies.. also wal-mart created 475,000 constrution jobs..
There is no way for me to be glad with Wal-mart which enforced the child labor & 25 - 75 cents per an hour plus 75 hours per week in third-world countries. Thank but no thanks, I rather to root for Target and others. Walmart drove many family business & small business out of business... that is backbone of America and they were destroyed by ignorant consumers. Before Walmart, economy is very strong in America. Before you dismiss my comment, suggest you to study the link between small & family business and economy between Walmart (I learned that from economy class in university). There will be a book which will come out soon to expose about Walmart and its many 'secrets' that people don't know and will get angry about it. That's why California judges refuse to let them to build more on our lands lately. You go, California judges!

The fact: Walmart is the man's worsest invention ever since God created humans on this earth.

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98, I want you to read this real carefully:

Many Americans believe the clothing purchased in U.S. Wal-Mart stores is manufactured in America. In fact, the majority of its private label clothing is manufactured in at least 48 countries around the world, but not in the U.S.

In his autobiography, Made in America: My Story founding Wal-Mart President, Sam Walton, proselytized "Buy American." USA Today, August 14, 2001, reported that, "Wal-Mart has more than 1,107 international operations." The newspaper also reports that, "Bangladesh workers earn as little as nine cents an hour making shirts for Wal-Mart.

Hypocritically, Wal-Mart ran a "Buy American" and "Buy Mexican" marketing campaigns simultaneously, all the while reinvesting its all-American dollars overseas.

Wal-Mart is the largest importer of Chinese goods. 10% of all Chinese imports are imported by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart even established its own global procurement division this year, abandoning the pretense to its traditional "buy American" campaign. This team searches the globe for the cheapest raw materials, manufacturers and shipping routes. They allow Wal-Mart to relocate factories from one country to the next in its endless quest to squeeze countries for lower wages and cheaper goods. (LA Times 12/03)

U.S. manufactures have been forced to cut good jobs and eliminate entire operations when Wal-Mart shifts to contractors with poverty-level wages. At Master Lock, 250 union workers lost their jobs when Wal-Mart dropped the company's products and switched to an offshore competitor. (4/00)

Wal-Mart has such a strong command over the retail market that it alone affects the wages of many workers and the fate of many factories around the world. In a recent series the LA Times described how Wal-Mart's demands dictate lower wages, harder work, and longer hours, while eliminating jobs in factories from Honduras to China. No longer is this humongous corporation putting only America's factories out of business, it has now turned to pitting factories in countries around the world against each other in an impossible race to the bottom.

Wal-Mart was removed from KLD & Co.’s Domini 400 Social Index because of what it called ‘sweatshop conditions’ at its overseas vendors’ factories. KLD, which provides social research for institutional investors, said Wal-Mart hasn’t done enough to ensure that its vendors meet ‘adequate labor and human rights standards,’ according to a statement distributed by PR Newswire. KLD also cited charges that the company hasn’t been forthright about its involvement with a Chinese handbag manufacturer alleged to have subjected workers to 90-hour weeks, exceptionally low wages, and prison-like conditions. The Domini 400 is a benchmark index for measuring the effect of social screening on financial performance. (1/03)

Some of the abuses in foreign factories that produce goods for Wal-Mart include:

* Forced overtime

* Locked bathrooms

* Starvation wages

* Pregnancy tests

* Denial of access to health care

* Workers fired and blacklisted if they try to defend their rights

The National Labor Committee reported in September 1999 that the Kathie Lee clothing label (made for Wal-Mart by Caribbean Apparel, Santa Ana, El Salvador) conducted sweatshop conditions of forced overtime. Workers hours were Monday to Friday from 6:50 a.m. to 6:10 p.m., and Saturday from 6:50 a.m. to 5:40 p.m. There are occasional shifts to 9:40 p.m. It is common for the cutting and packing departments to work 20-hour shifts from 6:50 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Anyone unable or refusing to work the overtime hours will be suspended and fined, and upon repeat "offenses" they will be fired. This factory is in an American Free Trade Zone. (http://www.nlcnet.org/KATHLEE/elsalvinfo.html)

Wal-Mart regularly says it does not tolerate child labor or forced or prison labor, but when it comes to walking the walk the company refuses to reveal its Chinese contractors and will not allow independent, unannounced inspections of its contractors’ facilities.

Clothing sewn in China is usually done by young women, 17 to 25 year old (at 25 they are fired as ‘too old’) forced to work seven days a week, often past midnight for 12 to 28 cents an hour, with no benefits. Or that the women are housed in crowded, dirty dormitories, 15 to a room, and fed a thin rice gruel. The workers are kept under 24-hour-a-day surveillance and can be fired for even discussing factory conditions. The factories in China operate under a veil of secrecy, behind locked metal gates, with no factory names posted and no visitors allowed. China’s authorities do not allow independent human rights, religious or women’s groups to exist, and all attempts to form independent unions have been crushed. (http://www.nlcnet.org, 10/22/02)

US Sweatshop Conditions

In October 10, 2002, the National Organization for Women (NOW) reported that the Maine Department of Labor ordered Wal-Mart to pay the largest fine in state history for violating child labor laws. The Department of Labor discovered 1,436 child labor law infractions at 20 Wal-Mart chains in the state.

Source: http://www.ufcw.org/press_room/fact_sheets_and_backgrounder/walmart/sweat_shops.cfm

That is only fraction of Walmart and its dark secrets that many people don't know. Thank you, NOW and many more organizations concerns about truth and children. NOW and many more organizations, you just save many children & women's lives from Walmart. [removed the unnecessary comment]

Last edited:
NATIONAL DESK | January 13, 2004, Tuesday

In-House Audit Says Wal-Mart Violated Labor Laws

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE (NYT) 1488 words
Late Edition - Final , Section A , Page 16 , Column 1

DISPLAYING FIRST 50 OF 1488 WORDS - An internal audit now under court seal warned top executives at Wal-Mart Stores three years ago that employee records at 128 stores pointed to extensive violations of child-labor laws and state regulations requiring time for breaks and ... The audit of one week's time-clock records for roughly 25,000 employees found...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30714FF39540C708DDDA80894DC404482

Boycott International

a program of

1world communication

1world communication has decided to launch Boycott International in recognition of the power of individuals in situations where governments have chosen to, or are unable to, influence companies that exploit children and/or violate basic human rights of their workers.

Global trade and lending organizations such as the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Bank, and the International Monetary Fund have made it harder for organizations in any one country, or even governments to protect the interests of their citizens from the greed of multinational corporations. The assets of some of the largest corporations exceed those of many nations. Only as a united global community can we stop them from destroying the environment, violating the most basic human rights of their workers, and exploiting children as a source of cheap labor.

The pages of Boycott International (BI) will serve as a clearinghouse of information. Occasionally BI will call for a boycott of a company not yet subject to an actual one but, due to it’s gross violations of human rights, we believe should not be patronized.

We have chosen Walmart as the target of our primary call for a boycott because of the company’s unfair labor practices around the world. Not only does this chain mistreat many employees that work for them, it also sells goods made by suppliers that grossly violate the rights of their workers around the world. Despite protests and a law suit they have refused to correct these problems.

The following articles will give you some examples of how Walmart does business.

More... (very long and detailed article on Walmart and its illegal labor: http://www.1worldcommunication.org/Walmart.htm)

Back