Russia in color a century ago...

I don't believe color photography existed in 1910. It was probably added with special colorizing software. Interesting to see it in color, though.

Did you read?

They were shot with different filters: blue, red and green, then they were layeerd with each others over a light source to produce a "colour photograph."

I remember a collection of Japanese photographs were done the same way... will have to find the article.

"The first permanent color photograph was taking in 1861 by physicist James Clerk Maxwell who used what is known as the 'color separation' method, shooting three separate black and white photos using three filters: red, green, and blue. He then projected the three images registered with their corresponding filters overlapping them to create a color image...."
Read the rest at Color + Design Blog / The History of Color In Photography by COLOURlovers :: COLOURlovers

Animated stereoviews of old Japan ::: Pink Tentacle

Not quite the article I was looking for, but these are the photographs I was referring to.
Those are too cool! The only problem is I can't look at too many of them at a time; it makes me queasy. :lol:

Early HD photography. :giggle:

I clicked the link below the image to see more about them. Very interesting.

I have an antique stereoptican and some slides but none of them look this good.

I also have my Viewmaster and original slides from the 1950's, which have a similar effect.

:ty: for the link.

Wow, nice pictures.

In 1989, I was in Tblisi, and it was a beautiful city. There were some holes on the walls of the buildings from the old wars. We met many friendly people because of limited of media news that they never heard outside of the country. Most deaf people live in St. Petersburg and some in Georgia. I recalled that, in Moscow, the policemen were unfriendly. I remember I gave an American Heresy candy bar to a little kid, and he was confused to eat it because he said that it tasted like a mud. Gee. Oh well. The best ice cream that I ever had was a natural banana. It was better than any ice creams in America because of no preservative (chemicals).

Thanks authentic for the link.

Those are too cool! The only problem is I can't look at too many of them at a time; it makes me queasy. :lol:

Early HD photography. :giggle:

I clicked the link below the image to see more about them. Very interesting.

I have an antique stereoptican and some slides but none of them look this good.

I also have my Viewmaster and original slides from the 1950's, which have a similar effect.

:ty: for the link.

Hard to believe it was only a century ago too, especially since most of the world views Japan as one of the most modern and futuristic nation on the planet.

Did you read?

They were shot with different filters: blue, red and green, then they were layeerd with each others over a light source to produce a "colour photograph."

I remember a collection of Japanese photographs were done the same way... will have to find the article.

Oh, I see.

did they add the colors in pictures that used to be black and white recently? it cant be colors in years ago. Interesting!

No, that's real color photo were first develop in early 1900. Not many people can afford that color photo. I have realize few of these photo on website.

So, now you know what's actual look like in 1910s.

Wow, amazing old color pictures.

That was awesome! Whenever I conjure images of those days, I always see black and white...couldnt get color because pychologically, my mind thinks in those days, colors didnt exist. Anyone have the same problem?

These photos help a lot!

i experienced the same thing too! its not a 'problem' just a kind of illusion like black and white photos, i *guess* it depends on how old we are, say what years, and what areas you are in (to have the colour technology available) like theres a 'cross over period" , and id hazard the same 'guessing' to though with paintings/drawings with paintings... in the by-gone century or so ago too

Impressive pics of everything from Russia and more.. really impressive to see how it was like back then....

The color photography has been around longer than most realized. The problem that you don't see much color back then is that in order to capture full color, you'd have to make the subject stay still for the camera to shoot three times, each with a different color filter. That's why you see weird color fringes on Photo 14. The river was not still.

This is what digital cameras do. They don't really see "color" at all. They merely record the incoming light in terms of counting photons. How do they know the color if it only records the light? If you magnify the sensor, you'll see that there's a RED GREEN BLUE filters applied (it appears like RGBG - green is twice more often) and they interpolate the color based on neighboring pixels.

350px-Bayer_pattern_on_sensor.svg.png

For example, if you use a blue filter, anything that is blue will appear much darker because it's filtering out the wavelength responsible for blue color. The same is true for red and green.

I'm sure you've used playdoh and mixed colors with it.. if you combine blue and yellow, it becomes green! That's called subtractive color. That's similar to what additive color is except that it's done the opposite. You add, not subtract. They use demosaicing algorithms to determine the colors (they interpolate color based on neighboring pixels).

Back