Russia in color a century ago...

did they add the colors in pictures that used to be black and white recently? it cant be colors in years ago. Interesting!

He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images.

Those are fascinating pictures. It is interesting to see how well that old technology worked also.

I saw them last month. Wow! I forgot to post it here.

I had seen some of the photos in black and white , and I like it better that way. I hate when old movie and photos are colorize. My dad was from Russia ,I wonder if his house looked like the one is the photos.
He was born around 1892 , he did not know his birthday so he picked out a date. He was born the day the cow broke it leg , this was how people recorded births then.

I don't think these are colourized, whatdidyousay...

From the sound of it, it was deliberately done to be in colour.

I don't think these are colourized, whatdidyousay...

From the sound of it, it was deliberately done to be in colour.

It does look stranges seeing the photos in color. I found some old photo of Russia on line and they all in B+W , it was really cool to see the photos as it showed how my dad lived when he was a boy.

cool!, i have to admit I love Russia , - beautiful pictures! sad about some of their history, and I can bet you reading Russian histroy is never boring

Ah I want to mention that I did look up in Google Map to see if the railway bridge in Perm from one of those pictures is still in existence. As a result, it is still in existence along with another railway bridge which was added later.

That was awesome! Whenever I conjure images of those days, I always see black and white...couldnt get color because pychologically, my mind thinks in those days, colors didnt exist. Anyone have the same problem?

These photos help a lot!

That was awesome! Whenever I conjure images of those days, I always see black and white...couldnt get color because pychologically, my mind thinks in those days, colors didnt exist. Anyone have the same problem?

These photos help a lot!

Yes I do. And I really like history. It is hard to get away from thinking black and white before the 1940's or so.

Way cool pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

I don't believe color photography existed in 1910. It was probably added with special colorizing software. Interesting to see it in color, though.

Back