Poison ivy..

Awauphi

Reaction score

my son TJ played with his sister and his brother at his fathers house thurs nite and next morning his left eye was swelling.. then rash show up around 10 am.. had to take him to DR .. dr gave him shot thats it? as day went on.. rash get worse.. then by 10 pm last nite his left eye was almost swollen shut. and he was starting to get low grade fever.. i decided to take him to ER last nite and they gave him another shot and prescrption to fill out .. i didnt sleep well last nite as i had to wake up every 2 hours to watch him to make sure he can still breathe. today he look a bit better but still swollen and real bad rash and can see blisters starting to break out too..

just want to show yall what it look like.. poor TJ.. :(

Awwwwww Poor little thing!!! I hope it goes away soon!!! It is NO fun to have it! UGH! I am sure ^Angel^ can give you a better advise than I do.

I hope it go away SOON!!!

Luckysmile23 said:

my son TJ played with his sister and his brother at his fathers house thurs nite and next morning his left eye was swelling.. then rash show up around 10 am.. had to take him to DR .. dr gave him shot thats it? as day went on.. rash get worse.. then by 10 pm last nite his left eye was almost swollen shut. and he was starting to get low grade fever.. i decided to take him to ER last nite and they gave him another shot and prescrption to fill out .. i didnt sleep well last nite as i had to wake up every 2 hours to watch him to make sure he can still breathe. today he look a bit better but still swollen and real bad rash and can see blisters starting to break out too..

Does his father knows there's poison ivy at his home? If so, if your son went and play in that area and he should tell him to take a bath or a shower with lots of soaps to avoid something serious.

my sons father and his wife doesnt know it was poison ivy.. thought it was harmless plants as the kids played with it.. didnt give tj bath till that night .. by then it was too late.. if they had known.. hurry and wash it off within 20 mins.. maybe would havent been so severe?? strange that beth n christian arent allergic to it? but might be ? wait n see 5 to 10 days ... Tj have sensitive skin thats why.. dang..

yeah i went over to their house and look at what kind of plants that the kids played with..cuz tjs father and his wife didnt know what it is? so i saw that it was poison ivy.. someone else said no.. so i went online and checked it out and sure enough it is poison ivy! i was right! lol.. heh..

Ah, if your son had taken a bath he would not look as bad as he looked in this picture. It could be his sensitive skin or allergic to it. I'm sure he'll be fine in no time.

yeah.. if his father knew what it was and gave tj bath sooner .. tj wouldnt have to suffer badly ? now he does and will watch out for the plants.. and tell the kids not to go near them.. sigh..

Luckysmile23 said:

:hug: lil man! Oh poor thing! I hope he gets better soon! :grouphug:

Luckysmile23 said:
yeah.. if his father knew what it was and gave tj bath sooner .. tj wouldnt have to suffer badly ? now he does and will watch out for the plants.. and tell the kids not to go near them.. sigh..

Exactly, he wouldn't have to suffer as much as he is. One thing, poison ivy is hard to identify, but always come with 3 leaves at the end of stem.

poison-ivy.jpg

i know. i am allergic to poison ivy too.. they said two plants look alike are blackberry and poison ivy.. so easy to look for.. if u see white flowers and thorns obiviously it is blackberry.. if no thorns then its poison ivy.. yikes! run for your life! LOL :)

Pepto-Bismol Liquid or Mylanta (pink liquid) will help to reduce the swell. It is an old remedy. Just to apply the cream on the skin... Ask your mother if she recalls that liquid for poison ivy. (Beside, this medicine is for diarrhea.) It takes one week to go away - I think. Without it, it probably takes 3 to 4 weeks to go away.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/comments.html?func=showMessage&mid=104033&wid=279&sid=

If you are in the habit of relieving yourself in the woods and using a leaf as toilet paper, it really is a good idea to know which leaf is which! (Don't laugh, this has really happened to people.) http://www.lacetoleather.com/poisoakandpo.html

The doctor gave him a shot and that it? didn't he provide you any cream or told you to buy Cortizone?....I remember my little one had a real bad one just like the picture shown of your little boy, but his doctor did provide us to buy Cortizone cream after he given him a shot...

The shots don't make the poison ivy go away, that why you need to put cream on..

Oh dear poor little boy, he shouldn't be getting worse after the shot, you need to put cream on him or take him back to see another doctor....

If you did took him a bath, make sure he did not use any soap, if he did , then throw away the bar of soap, and also wash all this clothes inculding shoes, change his bed everyday inculding his pillow case until the poison ivy goes away...

All my children had poison ivy, my two others one had them the most, and this is the first time I ever got poison ivy from them, I know how it feels to be in your son's situation, I feel bad for him, but he would need cream on to protect it from spreading, usually it only stay in one area, but that's depends on how much it itch, sometimes it can spread to the point where it get bigger or having a few spots on arms, hands , neck or legs or stomach...I haven't got any on my face but just a few on my legs, stomach, neck and arms...

And I do hope he feels better, give him a hug for me please....poor kid :(

oh man sorry its happen to ur son. Hope they would aware that not gonna be happening again. Hope he gets better soon!

Oh dear, I didn´t know anything about Poison Ivy until I learn from Angel´s thread few weeks ago. Oh my dear!!!

How your son feel? Is it pain?

I hope he get better real soon to rid of pains.

Yes, Angel is right about cream... shot do not solve anything but cream.

the dr that we went to see told me just to take bendaryl and cold compression on his eyes to keep it down.. he didnt say about creams.. i did put bendaryl cream on it but kept getting worse.. then by 10 pm.. i gave up and took him to ER and the dr said DO not put any creams on him at all! he said it will just make it worse cuz skin need to breathe? i was like oh. i didnt know? now that he got another shot and is taking Prednisone medicine. i didnt put any creams on and it got better?? look much better today and is not RED as it was but still noticeable swell on his left eyes. so thats good news!

Bendaryl and cold medicine? Wow your doctor is different than my children's, but glad to hear hes doing better... :thumb:

I suppose every doctor handle each patient differently... :dunno:

Back