OUResearchstudy

Who do you represent? the college? a firm?

Personally I cannot access this link (blocked from my location). I am very happy with caption being provided and would prefer not to have a PIP signer unless it's for a speech (or something that I was not watching the action for).

I prefer CC is in ASL instead of English. Gets confusing trying to understand and there so many typing mistake that it becomes frustrating.:shock:

That reminds me of the time when a woman came to my high school years ago to ask us questions about live interpreter (PIP) or CC. Most of us prefer CC because of regional ASL which is slightly different from another region - just like accents. Also we wanted CC because many deaf people need to improve their English and this is a good way.

I prefer CC is in ASL instead of English. Gets confusing trying to understand and there so many typing mistake that it becomes frustrating.:shock:

Rebecca, That would work for me as well. but would not work for my gf as she is oral and struggles with my ASL sometimes. It's almost like the caption needs to go through spell check before going out.

A better word to use instead of "way" is "thing." Buffalo, please do not take my constructive criticism personally.

The grammar that I see on this forum leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, I realize that ASL has a different structure than the English language, but when writing in English, if we are to make our point intelligently, and have others respect our thoughts, we need to follow the rules of the English language.

I have a friend who has edited several publications and has a very good command of the English language. When I send him an E-mail that has grammatical errors, he immediately replies with a correction. Does this offend me? Not in the least. He knows what I had to do over the years to learn to speak well and to write well, and how easy it will be for me to revert to what is natural for me as someone who does not hear well.

As I see it, if we really do care for one another, we among the deaf and hard of hearing, it is an obligatory duty to point out the errors in English usage, so that our fellow brothers and sisters can improve their English skills.

I understand what you're saying but I would never correct my fellow deafs on their English grammar or spelling unless they asked for my help. Unsolicited grammatical correction on an online deaf forum is rude and very irritating.

:wave: Smoky, a kind note -the cultural etiquette here is part of being on a d/Deaf forum, which includes leaving other people's grammar alone.

A better word to use instead of "way" is "thing." Buffalo, please do not take my constructive criticism personally.

The grammar that I see on this forum leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, I realize that ASL has a different structure than the English language, but when writing in English, if we are to make our point intelligently, and have others respect our thoughts, we need to follow the rules of the English language.

I have a friend who has edited several publications and has a very good command of the English language. When I send him an E-mail that has grammatical errors, he immediately replies with a correction. Does this offend me? Not in the least. He knows what I had to do over the years to learn to speak well and to write well, and how easy it will be for me to revert to what is natural for me as someone who does not hear well.

As I see it, if we really do care for one another, we among the deaf and hard of hearing, it is an obligatory duty to point out the errors in English usage, so that our fellow brothers and sisters can improve their English skills.

If you want to correct grammar, go to one of the grammar threads.

Your writing sucks. Wordy and unintelligible paragraph clearly edited:

On this forum, the grammar is undesirable. ASL and English have different structures. Intelligence and respect requires proper English grammar.

That last sentence isn't true.

Clear thinking and concise word choice are important. Maintaining one verb tense is important.

You need a writing tutor. I'm available at a very reasonable rate.

This thread has completely got off topic. Is there anyone out there willing to help a student in need of participants for his study. If so plz click on the link and take the quiz. ASL vs. Closed Captioning Study As of right now I believe we only have 5 people.

This thread has completely got off topic. Is there anyone out there willing to help a student in need of participants for his study. If so plz click on the link and take the quiz. ASL vs. Closed Captioning Study As of right now I believe we only have 5 people.

I felt bad for you so I decided to check out your link. My work computers all block this address. (probably because it's an "unknown" address and since it's not work related I won't bother to ask them to unblock it).

Sorry... :(

You are leaving out an entire segment of the people that use closed captioning now by requiring any knowledge of ASL in order to give you feedback let along having to be fluent!!!!

I am one of the ones you are leaving out. I am deaf in the left ear to the point of it being gone and right ear is profound. I do wear a hearing aid in the right but cannot understand enough speech without lip reading. I have used closed captioning for many years and would be screaming to high heaven if it was taken away in favor of something I don't use at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are leaving out an entire segment of the people that use closed captioning now by requiring any knowledge of ASL in order to give you feedback let along having to be fluent!!!!

I am one of the ones you are leaving out. I am deaf in the left ear to the point of it being gone and right ear is profound. I do wear a hearing aid in the right but cannot understand enough speech without lip reading. I have used closed captioning for many years and would be screaming to high heaven if it was taken away in favor of something I don't use at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make a good point... I think they should offer us speech readers a PIP of a pair of lips mouthing out all of the words. Oh, man, that would be funny as heck. I wish I had the skills to put this into a video just for fun! LOL!

You make a good point... I think they should offer us speech readers a PIP of a pair of lips mouthing out all of the words. Oh, man, that would be funny as heck. I wish I had the skills to put this into a video just for fun! LOL!

It would be funny but not as helpful, at least to me, as the captions are. Even in person I struggle with some individuals that I have known for years and others are so easy that I even had one gal that I just see a few times a year tell me that the reason that she sometimes forgets to look at me is that I am so good she forgets I have a problem.

It would be funny but not as helpful, at least to me, as the captions are. Even in person I struggle with some individuals that I have known for years and others are so easy that I even had one gal that I just see a few times a year tell me that the reason that she sometimes forgets to look at me is that I am so good she forgets I have a problem.

Ah! maybe it would be more helpful to add captions to people. Perhaps have their words scroll across their foreheads? *Grin* me likey!!! :D

Ah! maybe it would be more helpful to add captions to people. Perhaps have their words scroll across their foreheads? *Grin* me likey!!! :D

I got a good LOL out of this. Think maybe it is coming to small devices though. Have not really checked it out. Do you happen to know what is out there?

I got a good LOL out of this. Think maybe it is coming to small devices though. Have not really checked it out. Do you happen to know what is out there?

I have just started to use an iPad with a speech to text program on it (the app is free, the iPad is not). However, I am finding that some people do not seem to be able to accommodate my needs with it. I am now researching the possibility for real time speech to text on the iPad.

Disappointed? You should be THRILLED to have 5 people. Do you have any idea how often this happens here? Did you think your idea to post in AD is original? We get several of these a week during the school year. They all start the same; "I just want to ask a few questions, complete a survey, etc." I assume, given your age, that you have participated in online MMORPG. Can you imagine taking time out from WOW to answer questions on why you are there, what is it like to drink 36 Mountain Dews in a day while playing your game? And you get asked this 5 times a week from various sources? Would you perk right up because someone did this?

You are polite enough, as most of them are. It is a tiring situation for us. Bear that in mind when you see only a few participants to your link. There is no pot of gold for us. You are the sole beneficiary, along with your team of other students. If you try to tell me the deaf will someday benefit from your assignment, realize we have heard that several times a week as well.

Same crap, different person. Sorry.

We are just trying to do a research study, we are not promising anything. But history shows that research does lead to alot of changes in our world of today. So why not help people become more educated. Education and knowledge benifits all who seek and help to seek it. So why not be apart of history

Back