Northern Light Time Lapse in Norway

Thx 4 the share. I enjoyed to watch this show that was very fascinating.

I am just in southern suburbs of Twin Cities. I have not seen it here for a long time, but have in the past. The best times were in northern Minnesota, and on a canoe trip to Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario. That was in May, just after ice-out. Nothing like this video. Actually, the best show ever for me was in the Twin Cities, even with all the lights. That one was talked about for months.

Thanks, man......

I haven't seen one in real life, but I would love to see those auroras. :) There CAN be auroras up in the sky if u're up in the mountains in a very dark area in WA state. :)

I haven't seen one in real life, but I would love to see those auroras. :) There CAN be auroras up in the sky if u're up in the mountains in a very dark area in WA state. :)

And looking to the North, right?

These are so breathtaking and definitely, I would LOVE to see it once in my lifetime. :)

Although, I'm not sure how I would bear the cold weather. :lol:

A solution is... bring a mate with you. :naughty: burn burn burn!

What are you wait for? Get out and watch in sky when it's clear!

I've seen like this before when I used to live in Juneau, Alaska. It's Aurora Borealis. They are very beautiful ! They danced from left to right and right to left. Very awesome to watch. :)

I've seen like this before when I used to live in Juneau, Alaska. It's Aurora Borealis. They are very beautiful ! They danced from left to right and right to left. Very awesome to watch. :)

Does this appear unexpectantly? Is there some advance notice? When it happens, how long does it go on? One hour? More? Less?

Does this appear unexpectantly? Is there some advance notice? When it happens, how long does it go on? One hour? More? Less?

Best Time to Watch
The "Northern Lights", at their most dazzling from December to March when nights are longest and the sky darkest, can usually be seen even as far south as Juneau.

Undulating ribbons of light may shimmer in the sky for hours, like glowing, dancing curtains of green, yellow and orange or dark red, or magnificent veils with a full spectrum of colors, and with the altitude of its lower edge 60 to 70 miles above the earth.

Or the aurora may last 10-15 minutes, twisting and turning in patterns called "rayed bands", then whirling into a giant green corona in which rays appear to flare in all directions from a central point, and finally fade away.

The rarest aurora is the red aurora, like the one of February 11, 1958, which is still talked about today.

An Eskimo tale records that the northern lights are spirits playing ball in the sky with a walrus skull. Another legend, calls them the flaming torches carried by departed souls guiding travelers to the afterlife.

The scientific explanation is that the aurora is a physics phenomenon taking place 50 to 200 miles above the Earth. Solar winds flow across the Earth's upper atmosphere, hitting molecules of gas lighting them up much like a neon sign.

To study the phenomenon, researchers at the University of Alaska Fairbanks shoot rockets loaded with special instruments into the aurora from a launch pad at the Poker Flat Research Range, 30 miles northeast of town.

Auroral Displays
The aurora occurs along ring shaped regions around the north and south geomagnetic poles. The intensity of the displays vary from night to night and throughout each night.

An intense auroral display can cause many problems on the ground, such as intense electric currents along electric power lines (causing blackouts) and oil pipelines (enhancing corrosion). The aurora can disturb the ionosphere and disrupt short wave communication. Auroral discharge electrons have even damaged the electronics and solar panels of communications and meteorological satellites, rendering them inoperable.

Because of this, a major cooperative research program, the National Space Weather Program, studies these effects in an attempt to improve the prediction of intense auroral disturbances.

Best Aurora Viewing
The aurora is most active late at night or early in the morning, when the sky is clear and the air chilly. The best time to watch is in spring and fall, especially February, March, September, and October. One of the best times to look for the Northern Lights will be when it is dark because of a new moon.

Hardy Alaskans like to put on their parkas and lie on their backs in the snow to watch. The best viewing happens outside of Fairbanks, away from the city lights.

Winter tourists might want to try the top of Ester Dome which gives a view of the sky from horizon to horizon. A nice valley view can be seen in the Chatanika area.

Closer to town, try the Gilmore Trail looking west, or go to south Peger Road to escape the streetlights. If you are staying in a hotel, you can head down the street to wherever it seems a little darker. Winter visitors have been known to stand or lie in the middle of the Ranch Motel's roomy second parking lot to watch the lights.

More information is at:
Northern Lights - Aurora Borealis

Enjoy readin'! :)

Best Time to Watch
The "Northern Lights", at their most dazzling from December to March when nights are longest and the sky darkest, can usually be seen even as far south as Juneau.

Undulating ribbons of light may shimmer in the sky for hours, like glowing, dancing curtains of green, yellow and orange or dark red, or magnificent veils with a full spectrum of colors, and with the altitude of its lower edge 60 to 70 miles above the earth.

Or the aurora may last 10-15 minutes, twisting and turning in patterns called "rayed bands", then whirling into a giant green corona in which rays appear to flare in all directions from a central point, and finally fade away.

The rarest aurora is the red aurora, like the one of February 11, 1958, which is still talked about today.

An Eskimo tale records that the northern lights are spirits playing ball in the sky with a walrus skull. Another legend, calls them the flaming torches carried by departed souls guiding travelers to the afterlife.

The scientific explanation is that the aurora is a physics phenomenon taking place 50 to 200 miles above the Earth. Solar winds flow across the Earth's upper atmosphere, hitting molecules of gas lighting them up much like a neon sign.

To study the phenomenon, researchers at the University of Alaska Fairbanks shoot rockets loaded with special instruments into the aurora from a launch pad at the Poker Flat Research Range, 30 miles northeast of town.

Auroral Displays
The aurora occurs along ring shaped regions around the north and south geomagnetic poles. The intensity of the displays vary from night to night and throughout each night.

An intense auroral display can cause many problems on the ground, such as intense electric currents along electric power lines (causing blackouts) and oil pipelines (enhancing corrosion). The aurora can disturb the ionosphere and disrupt short wave communication. Auroral discharge electrons have even damaged the electronics and solar panels of communications and meteorological satellites, rendering them inoperable.

Because of this, a major cooperative research program, the National Space Weather Program, studies these effects in an attempt to improve the prediction of intense auroral disturbances.

Best Aurora Viewing
The aurora is most active late at night or early in the morning, when the sky is clear and the air chilly. The best time to watch is in spring and fall, especially February, March, September, and October. One of the best times to look for the Northern Lights will be when it is dark because of a new moon.

Hardy Alaskans like to put on their parkas and lie on their backs in the snow to watch. The best viewing happens outside of Fairbanks, away from the city lights.

Winter tourists might want to try the top of Ester Dome which gives a view of the sky from horizon to horizon. A nice valley view can be seen in the Chatanika area.

Closer to town, try the Gilmore Trail looking west, or go to south Peger Road to escape the streetlights. If you are staying in a hotel, you can head down the street to wherever it seems a little darker. Winter visitors have been known to stand or lie in the middle of the Ranch Motel's roomy second parking lot to watch the lights.

More information is at:

Thanks, Maria; that was informative.

Best Time to Watch

Auroral Displays

Best Aurora Viewing

More information is at:

wooooohoooooo iam in alaska fairbank

no kidding

I would love to see this in real life, but unlikely to happen as I doubt I could afford a round-trip ticket to Alaska.. The auroras may show up in regions such as the nornthernmost Lower 48, but its extremely rare for the conditions to be right enough to see them at that latitude. I think you have to be near or within the Arctic Circle to see Aurora Borealis.

Back