Northern Light Time Lapse in Norway

PowerON

Reaction score
That's so incredible! I have to see in real life! :shock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcfWsj9OnsI]Click here for widescreen and HD[/ame]

Would love to see that......happens in Alaska, too....

Amazing video! I recall a website that used to be free: Aurorawebcam.com Home
Not sure if they still do it, but they had a cam set up every night to attempt to catch these. I have seen them before, in Minnesota, and also in southern Ontario. However, they were never this good!

I was in Alaska in 78, not the right time of the year to witness this beautiful phenomenon.

Yes, and apparently in other way northern places, too...

Yes, in Minnesota. I have lived here for over 40 years, and have seen this even in summer. The reason winter is much better is because of much longer darkness.

Yep, it's beautiful! Do you know why that happens?

As far as I've learnt in school there are two different kind of polar lights... one is called aurora australis and the other one aurora borealis... hmmm not sure though :hmm: Might have to check it out on the web ;)

Around the earth there are different levels of spheres... The general term for it is atmophere, which consists of different *layers* of spheres: stratosphere, troposphere, mesophere, etc... the last one being ionosphere.

All those things have to do with protons, molecules, electrons, winds and friction it creates in the ionosphere... urgh... no clue...

but it's beautiful :D

Jamie (I guess I have confused everybody now... :giggle: )

As far as I've learnt in school there are two different kind of polar lights... one is called aurora australis and the other one aurora borealis... hmmm not sure though :hmm: Might have to check it out on the web ;)

Around the earth there are different levels of spheres... The general term for it is atmophere, which consists of different *layers* of spheres: stratosphere, troposphere, mesophere, etc... the last one being ionosphere.

All those things have to do with protons, molecules, electrons, winds and friction it creates in the ionosphere... urgh... no clue...

but it's beautiful :D

Jamie (I guess I have confused everybody now... :giggle: )

:giggle:

Basically, it is the earth's magnetic field protecting earth from sun's solar wind.

:giggle:

Basically, it is the earth's magnetic field protecting earth from sun's solar wind.

Yeah.... something along that line... I was just trying to be a bit more explicit but I guess I just suck at it :roll: - it's not really my domain! :giggle:

Jamie

These are so breathtaking and definitely, I would LOVE to see it once in my lifetime. :)

Although, I'm not sure how I would bear the cold weather. :lol:

ohhhhhh

heheheheh

i live in alaska fairbank

i have see that every night it such beafulity if sky is clear!

Yes, in Minnesota. I have lived here for over 40 years, and have seen this even in summer. The reason winter is much better is because of much longer darkness.

I was born and raised in Faribault which is way south; I don't ever recall these lights.....maybe its seen up north further, eh? Whereabouts are you?

ohhh

see this :

hot spring with snow around and lay with ur babe and stare in sky with full of star sprarke and all sudden you spot northern light start to dance and pass above you but you are still watch goes by and giggle and laugh and wonder where it will go next?

I saw this in real while i was at sea racing in the southern ocean in year 2000/2001. It was breathtaking. We had it for 3 weeks at time we never got enough of it. The temp was -30 we were so cold, tired as we was at sea for nearly 6 weeks (Buenos Aires to Wellington) battling 70 ft waves, so many sail changes in short space of time, we never got decent sleep well due to the boat beating against the waves, this southern light gave us the will to race on.
We also saw this again during the Sydney to Cape Town leg. This leg was deeper south, colder but the sea was rolling so we had been "surfing" This time there were colours in it. Last time was just greeny/bluey waves through the air.
Sadly because of weight allowance we weren't allowed cameras. But to this day the memory of the southern lights is still stuck in my head.

I was born and raised in Faribault which is way south; I don't ever recall these lights.....maybe its seen up north further, eh? Whereabouts are you?

I am just in southern suburbs of Twin Cities. I have not seen it here for a long time, but have in the past. The best times were in northern Minnesota, and on a canoe trip to Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario. That was in May, just after ice-out. Nothing like this video. Actually, the best show ever for me was in the Twin Cities, even with all the lights. That one was talked about for months.

Back