newbie mom here

I don't think he would qualify for implants anyway. And hoh kids don't need immeditate aiding.....they still have quite a bit of residual hearing..

The OP's first post says "moderate" loss. There are HAs for all levels of hearing. I don't think you should be voicing an opinion about whether he should have HAs if you haven't seen an audiogram. That's up to the mom and the audi.

Ashli, do not let posts like these scare you. Your child will be just fine, speech or not.

Amen. Speech should not be the most important aspect of a dhh kid's life...you can very easily do both sign and speech and have the kid fluent and BILINGAL in two languages.

I don't think he would qualify for implants anyway. And hoh kids don't need immeditate aiding.....they still have quite a bit of residual hearing..

Residual hearing can vary greatly, even with similar losses. Getting hearing aids fitted as soon as possible will provide him with an opportunity to learn and understand the sounds and language around him sooner than later. It's not productive to downplay the importance and benefits of early amplification.

Yes we are planning on amplification asap so he can get as much English language as possible and we also want to sign with him but my wonder is, how do we as his family learn asl in order for hIm to learn ? Right now I can't expose him to more than a few basic signs I've looked up online. it is not as if i can communicate any sentences or complete thoughts. How do deaf/hoh kids learn asl? How do the parents? I'd love for him to be bilingual.
so many urge and encourage immediate asl but i can't do it if i don't know it. Will he just learn it through his experiences with early intervention?
Thanks to all who are replying, from all angles.

Yes we are planning on amplification asap so he can get as much English language as possible and we also want to sign with him but my wonder is, how do we as his family learn asl in order for hIm to learn ? Right now I can't expose him to more than a few basic signs I've looked up online. it is not as if i can communicate any sentences or complete thoughts. How do deaf/hoh kids learn asl? How do the parents? I'd love for him to be bilingual.
so many urge and encourage immediate asl but i can't do it if i don't know it. Will he just learn it through his experiences with early intervention?
Thanks to all who are replying, from all angles.

I can tell you how we achieved this -- given that I hadn't previously been exposed to ASL, either. I'd been told by language experts that if we chose to use ASL as our child's means of communication, we'd need to immerse her in the language, among fluent users. Just as you would naturally surround a hearing child with fluent spoken language, songs, chatter, constant use. Our DHH clinic, both the audis and ENTs, at Children's Hospital Boston advised immediate and comprehensive exposure to ASL and pointed us to the parent infant program at a school for the deaf an hour and a half from home as we began hearing aid trials.

If you aren't fluent yourself, it's a challenge. We weren't, and overcame that obstacle by requesting an ASL-fluent SLP for our 3X weekly early intervention program, participating in 2X weekly group play sessions at a school for the deaf with ASL-using facilitators, volunteers, and deaf/hoh peers, and weekly parent groups while the children were exposed to ASL stories, and enrolling her in an ASL daycare run by the school for 6 hours a day 4X week. On Saturdays we had family sign instruction for the whole family in our home, provided by the state DHH commission. My husband and I each took ASL classes offered by the school for the deaf on different nights to stay ahead of our little one. Once she turned 3, my daughter was enrolled in the fill-time preK program, and that's where her language really took off. We've augmented her daily use of ASL in class (it's a bi-bi school where ASL is the primary language of instruction and interaction) with pull out ASL language sessions, like speech therapy, but for ASL. Her school has a voices-off policy in general, so she's immersed in ASL the majority of the day, although she's with a group of kids who have CIs and have really good auditory access, so they are permitted to use spoken language along with sign during their morning sessions.

She's fluent in ASL and her spoken language abilities are on or surpassing age level in general when measured against typical hearing children, although she's scoring significantly lower on English vocab than hearing kids her age, which her teachers think is because she's not exposed to good peer language models, which we'll begin addressing soon. It can be tough to achieve a true balance when you are raising a child to be bimodally bilingual. We've never engaged in AVT or other traditional speech therapies, her English language has developed incidentally through casual use at home, while ASL has been the focus of her academic environment and intensive directed learning.

As a born deaf child with parents who didn't do any ASL what my parents did was use a form of word association by pointing at a picture of an object and say the name of the object.

I'd then associate the lipread phrase with that object. For example they'd point at a picture of a cat and my parents would say "cat" and I'd make the connection there and proceeded from that point on.

With hearing aids I can't hear enough to talk on the phone but sometimes my parents would help me practice listening by covering their mouth and they'd say a word and I'd guess what the word is.

The OP's first post says "moderate" loss. There are HAs for all levels of hearing. I don't think you should be voicing an opinion about whether he should have HAs if you haven't seen an audiogram. That's up to the mom and the audi.

Huh? I'm not saying he doesn't need HAs, just telling the mom not to panic. The medical attitude seems to be "OH NO.... if little Jason doesn't get aided ASAP, they're gonna be doomed to selling ASL cards on the street. I think HAs rock, and definitly encourqage their use......

Huh? I'm not saying he doesn't need HAs, just telling the mom not to panic. The medical attitude seems to be "OH NO.... if little Jason doesn't get aided ASAP, they're gonna be doomed to selling ASL cards on the street. I think HAs rock, and definitly encourqage their use......

I think hearing aids rocks and encourges the useage! as U can see in my pro pic, I have one that definality has swag LOL

Back