New to the Site ^_^ Hello

PrettyKeli

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my name is Keli. I am a youtuber and certified personal trainer who really wants to help the deaf community.

I am not deaf myself, nor do I have any family members or friends who are but I really want to help.

Currently, I'm not sure what I can do to help or if I'm even needed. I simply notice a lot of youtube video how to's, tutorials etc. telling people how to do things but the deaf community isn't even considered.

There are close captions decoded by a bot who barely understands what the person is saying, therefor translations are poor at best.

I had an idea of taking ASL classes simply to add additional videos to my channel or videos inside of videos where I translate everything in sign language. Or to have a sign language channel where I give great tips using sign language only.

I'm not sure which would be more helpful or if it's even needed but either way I'm very serious and I want to help. So hello ^_^ Please let me know if you suggest I take college courses to learn sign language or if there are online resources just as good if not better (I've found some but I would prefer to know your recommendations)

I would like to attend events to make friends and get to know some of you as well.

Thank you so much for your time and I hope you all will accept me into your community

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=125774

This thread will give an idea what is needs to be done with youtubes

Thank you so much! This lets me know I'm on the right track. I've been personally entering CC's for my videos for a few months now. I think it's so much better and a lot more efficient than letting the bots do it.

I will surely take the time out to continue to do so! Thanks

Hello-

Adding a transcript (if the video isn't super long) in the description is helpful also. Glad to see someone making the effort to add and/or be sure the captions are not gibberish (aka the auto-captioning). :)

Goes both ways- videos in ASL/sign also ought to provide transcripts/captions for ASL videos for those who are ASL impaired.

Back