New to the group

radfire343

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and am looking for some ideas to work with the Deaf or Hard of Hearing. I am a Deputy Fire Marshal in Kentucky and am trying to gear fire prevention and safety towards the Deaf or Hard of Hearing community. I was one of those hearing people that never thought that much about the Deaf community until I met my amazing girlfriend who is almost complete with her degree in interpreting.

Hi, and welcome. What are your plans for outreach? Are you looking to do something specifically for the deaf community or more to include services for the deaf as part of a community-wide presentation?

When my husband and I built our beach house, we insisted that the builder include fire/ smoke alarms that had flashing lights as well as sound. He wasn't aware of what he could use in residential buildings, so it was a learning experience.

Is your local 911 service equipped to get text messages? A lot of deaf people do not communicate by voice, but use cell phones to text.

What about local warnings - is there a way for deaf people to get the word about severe weather and things like that?

Are you in touch with local (county or state) services for the deaf? They might have some good ideas for you.

Lots of different things to consider. Thanks for being alert to the needs of everyone in your community.

Some good points. I am going to look into the capabilities of our 911 system and see what all they have.
I have already worked and acquired smoke alarms which were handed out to every Deaf/HOH student here.
[FONT=&quot]I am currently working on a program to acquire Weather Alert Radios for the Deaf.
Can who is deaf can feel it when the outdoor warning sirens are activated? Or is that just a silly thought that I had? :)

[/FONT]

Back