Need advice for book!

MMVaughan

Reaction score
Update: Just to say that I have had so many emails already and no longer need any more readers. Thank you so much to all the people on here who got in contact. I never expected so many responses in such a short time - I couldn't be more grateful. Now I just need to make sure I do all your feedback justice!

Thank you again!
Monica

Hi,

My name is Monica, I write under the pen name M.M.Vaughan and have had two books published by Simon & Schuster for 8-12 year olds -([ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Ability-M-M-Vaughan/dp/1442452005"]The Ability[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mindscape-Ability-M-M-Vaughan-ebook/dp/B00DA9PWYM/ref=la_B008RYX698_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392067932&sr=1-2"]Mindscape[/ame]). I'm currently 3/4 of the way through writing my third book, the first in a new series, which is scheduled for publication in US & Canada early 2015.

I am looking for somebody who is a quick reader and wouldn't mind giving me feedback. One of the main characters is a girl called Emma, who was born without hearing. I would love this to be a book that is respectful and empowering of and for deaf children (and adults too, obviously!) and, as I don't have personal experience of being deaf, I was hoping someone on here might be able to make sure I'm on the right track with that.

In exchange, I'll send you a copy of the book when it comes out!

Ideally, you will have experienced being deaf as a child or have a child who is deaf. The book falls into the science-fiction/fantasy genre. It's a full-length novel (Harry Potter book 1 length to give an idea) and targeting 10-14 year olds boys & girls (protagonist is a boy).

You can contact me on here or by email: mmv@mmvaughan.com

Thanks!
Monica

Last edited:
Well, you are here for the book to be written about the deaf child (a boy) in the future. I would not know what the deaf child would be like in the future. Maybe they have ways to make the child hear like stem cell. I hope not. :dunno: :(

Since you mentioned respect and empowerment-

Hi,

My name is Monica, I write under the pen name M.M.Vaughan and have had two books published by Simon & Schuster for 8-12 year olds -(The Ability and Mindscape). I'm currently 3/4 of the way through writing my third book, the first in a new series, which is scheduled for publication in US & Canada early 2015.

I am looking for somebody who is a quick reader and wouldn't mind giving me feedback. One of the main characters is a girl called Emma, who was born without hearing. I would love this to be a book that is respectful and empowering of and for deaf children (and adults too, obviously!) and, as I don't have personal experience of being deaf, I was hoping someone on here might be able to make sure I'm on the right track with that.

Ideally, you will have experienced being deaf as a child or have a child who is deaf. The book falls into the science-fiction/fantasy genre. It's a full-length novel (Harry Potter book 1 length to give an idea) and targeting 10-14 year olds boys & girls (protagonist is a boy).

Thanks!
Monica

I am not in the target audience for this post, so you're of course free to disregard this, but:

You're asking for a fair amount of focused effort from someone with some very specialized knowledge/experience. A copy of your book seems painfully insufficient in the way of compensation.

Maybe you can work that into your story: Emma grows up and notices that alot of hearing people don't seem to value her time.

Hi,

My name is Monica, I write under the pen name M.M.Vaughan and have had two books published by Simon & Schuster for 8-12 year olds -(The Ability and Mindscape). I'm currently 3/4 of the way through writing my third book, the first in a new series, which is scheduled for publication in US & Canada early 2015.

Thanks!
Monica

I wouldn't mind reading your book, but I hope you will incorporate the deaf individual learning sign language.

I hope you realize that every deaf person does not have the same experiences as growing up a deaf child . It's not like going to a store to buy a generic band of deafness info for your book.

I hope you realize that every deaf person does not have the same experiences as growing up a deaf child . It's not like going to a store to buy a generic band of deafness info for your book.

Of course! However, I would say that no book ever written has had a character that can encapsulate the experiences of every person with their specific characteristics - and I'm certainly not attempting to be the first!

All I was looking for was general advice as to whether anything I've chosen for my character to say/feel or do would be jarring or alienating for a child in the deaf community. That's not to say I'm looking for a character that every single deaf child would identify with - I'd be setting myself an impossible task :)

I wouldn't mind reading your book, but I hope you will incorporate the deaf individual learning sign language.

Here's the kind of question I need! Do you mean a specific type of sign language or sign language in general? The character uses ASL and BSL as well as lip-reading.

I am not in the target audience for this post, so you're of course free to disregard this, but:

You're asking for a fair amount of focused effort from someone with some very specialized knowledge/experience. A copy of your book seems painfully insufficient in the way of compensation.

Maybe you can work that into your story: Emma grows up and notices that alot of hearing people don't seem to value her time.

Hmm - not sure what to reply to that! I can see how it might come across like that for some people. I guess I didn't see it that way. I once read a book about a special needs teacher, for a colleague of a parent whose child I taught, as I was a special needs teacher for many years and she wanted feedback. She sent me a box of chocolates, which was a lovely surprise!

I was looking for someone like me, who loves reading, doesn't consider it a chore, and wouldn't mind offering a few sentences of feedback when done. Obviously, it's not an appealing proposition for all! Fortunately (for me!), there are so many lovely people on here that have been in contact already.

ps I only get a few author copies and the rest I buy and send out myself - about $25 - not much at all, I admit, but until I get a Hollywood movie deal, I hope it goes some way to acknowledging my appreciation!

Here's the kind of question I need! Do you mean a specific type of sign language or sign language in general? The character uses ASL and BSL as well as lip-reading.

It's very uncommon for people to know both ASL and BSL. I would pick one and stick with it.

It's very uncommon for people to know both ASL and BSL. I would pick one and stick with it.

Thanks! There is a reason I did this: She knows BSL (as she's British) but the story starts with her family moving to the US, so she starts learning ASL too. I figured it would be like anybody moving to a new country with a different language - would that be right?

Back