Need a free interpreter in Brooklyn NY

johannabos

Reaction score
Hello,
I am seeking assistance with finding a free or low cost interpreter for a 10 y.o. child referred to our facility for counseling.
We are a licensed out patient mental health clinic that services children and adolescents in Brooklyn NY.
If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,

Johanna Bos

Does the client pay for your counseling services, or does Medicaid or some other agency pay for the counseling?

The clients doesn't pay and we, as a non for profit agency cannot afford a private interpreter on a weekly basis. Medicaid wont pay because they will say refer the client to a program that has ASL interpreter but the only one is in the Bronx or Queens and that's too far for the family.

Make sure you get an interpreter who specializes in mental health interpreting, and isn't some interpreting student or church interpreter who "helps" on the side.

The clients doesn't pay and we, as a non for profit agency cannot afford a private interpreter on a weekly basis. Medicaid wont pay because they will say refer the client to a program that has ASL interpreter but the only one is in the Bronx or Queens and that's too far for the family.
What about the agency or individual who made the referral?

What about the school system? Might they cover some of the expense?

Make sure you get an interpreter who specializes in mental health interpreting, and isn't some interpreting student or church interpreter who "helps" on the side.

"Like"

It is better to have certified ASL interpreters to help the young boy understand when in mental health counseling. Reba is good with that suggestions. You can not use outside help for interpreting service. Use what Reba gave you for suggestions. Hope that help.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Enjoy reading and posting here. :wave:

Hello,
I am seeking assistance with finding a free or low cost interpreter for a 10 y.o. child referred to our facility for counseling.
We are a licensed out patient mental health clinic that services children and adolescents in Brooklyn NY.
If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,

Johanna Bos

I will contact 2 of my friends. they're deaf social workers in NYC. I don't know what your budget is but the going rate for you could be around $50/hr.

that's really unfair for them because I know it would couple hours to get to there via subway/bus. hopefully we can find you a terp that would give you a rate you can afford.

Thank you so much for your replies.
The interpreters I found were around $150, which we cant sustain weekly.
You would think this service would be compensated by Bd. of Ed, but since there are other facilities in NYC that provide ASL mental health counseling ( Lexington and Montefiore) and the parents CHOOSE not to attend because it's too far, the state won't provide compensation for interpreter at our agency and they just tell us to pay out of pocket.

Thank you so much for your replies.
The interpreters I found were around $150, which we cant sustain weekly.
You would think this service would be compensated by Bd. of Ed, but since there are other facilities in NYC that provide ASL mental health counseling ( Lexington and Montefiore) and the parents CHOOSE not to attend because it's too far, the state won't provide compensation for interpreter at our agency and they just tell us to pay out of pocket.

yes that is a typical rate for agency. I think we can find you a freelance interpreter who would be more sympathetic to your situation. maybe. maybe not. I'm contacting my friends now.

yes that is a typical rate for agency. I think we can find you a freelance interpreter who would be more sympathetic to your situation. maybe. maybe not. I'm contacting my friends now.
Also, sometimes private practice (freelance) interpreters can charge less because there is no middle-man agency overhead to pay.

my friend said -

FEGS Interpreting Agency has the cheapest rate so contact Sophia Sosa Braine - ssosabraine@fegs.org and ask.

If it's still not within your budget, then I can contact two of my friends who are freelance interpreters living in Brooklyn and ask for their rates. Where in Brooklyn is your clinic and how long is the session?

If it's still not within your budget, then you'll need to ask them to try a different clinic - Center for Hearing and Communication (CHC), formerly known as League of Hard-of-Hearing. They have therapists who can sign and it's located right next to Wall Street area. It's free since your client has Medicaid but it depends on whether CHC accepts their case or not.

good luck :)

my friend said -

FEGS Interpreting Agency has the cheapest rate so contact Sophia Sosa Braine - ssosabraine@fegs.org and ask.

If it's still not within your budget, then I can contact two of my friends who are freelance interpreters living in Brooklyn and ask for their rates. Where in Brooklyn is your clinic and how long is the session?

If it's still not within your budget, then you'll need to ask them to try a different clinic - Center for Hearing and Communication (CHC), formerly known as League of Hard-of-Hearing. They have therapists who can sign and it's located right next to Wall Street area. It's free since your client has Medicaid but it depends on whether CHC accepts their case or not.

good luck :)

Jiro is correct. Either FEGS or CHC will do. It will save you money from getting interpreter for the 10 year old Deaf boy.

We need to be careful about posting any further details about this potential client.

Anyone and everyone. It's a blanket warning, reminder. Age and gender and location are getting specific.

we still won't know. a city of 8 million people.

we still won't know. a city of 8 million people.
We might not know but who else is reading and lurking?

It's the interpreter in me. We were never allowed to reveal identifying information about a client or assignment. Mental health assignments (for a minor, no less) are even more sensitive.

Just a heads up, that's all. I'm not the posting police. :)

Back