My story---

W.R.M

Reaction score
Hello all: I am new to everything. looking for advice, suppport and education.I am 35 yrs old. Hearing until a few months ago when I lost my hearing on one side. I am due to getting a hearing aid in about 2 weeks.
I work in an IT dept and live in Brooklyn, NY. I dont have family or friends that can relate. This journey has been quite lonely to say the least.
Anyone has any advice for me ... Would love a starting point. Please, feel free.
Doctors didn't really help with too much information for my new "life". I have a husband and a 9 year old daughter. It is difficult for them as well.
I learned some ASL in college and have forgotten most.
Highly appreciated.
Excited.

Hello, I am hearing and finishing my associates in ASL this semester in college, hopefully going onto Gallaudet after for my bachelors. That must be a pretty big life adjustment you're going through. How much is your hearing impaired with the loss on one side alone? I do know an older woman who's right ear is totally deaf she has us repeat things sometimes and we try and talk to her facing her left side more but other than that it really doesn't effect her life. She doesn't wear a hearing aid. Anyway, Hi and best of luck adjusting. :)

Many of us can relate. I'm late-deafened myself. My family was very supportive, and my true friends quickly adapted with me. My original career path changed (the worst of my hearing problems occurred in undergrad - it took me 7 1/2 years to graduate instead of 4).... and the serious relationship I had at the start of my hearing loss didn't make it - the stress of going through such a big loss is very hard on everyone.

So you're not alone.

In the 8 years I've been through this path I met awesome people who helped me figure out tricks, technology, and skills to get through. This forum is awesome for that - the technology section has lots of info for doorbells and amplified phones etc.

If you're looking for local help, seek out "meetup.com" to learn ASL and bring your family :) Even if you can hear them on one side or may rely heavily on your remaining hearing and your ultimate hearing aid, it's going to keep you less fatigued. I found "ALOHA" in Tucson AZ (Adult Loss of Hearing Association) - not sure if they have that in NY - I haven't looked since I've been back.

Community colleges also teach ASL... you might be able to take a few courses with your family to learn. My sister was in 9th or 10th grade when she took ASL with my mom here upstate while I was in Tucson. They don't keep out certain ages if it's a continuing education kind of class. Learning Annexes in NYC?

Feel free to private message me - I'm local-ish (I work a lot in NYC) and I know some friends and family members down there as well if you want more - haha I have a bad habit of writing "essays" on these forums (I'm naturally uber-talkative and type REALLY fast)

Thank you sooo much. I am going to checkthat all out. I havent exploted the site as of yet.
I appreciate all the advice. Having my family accompany me to events is a great start. Thanks again!!

Back