mostly deaf and getting worse

Bottesini you and others interested in the different versions of CapTel might want to also look at the Hamilton site — Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone: SmartPhone Selector

The above is at the smartphone section but the bar at the top of the page also has buttons to click on for other information.

I can't use it as strangers have a hard time understanding my speech, but I think my husband may like to try it.

As far as my user name, I give nor take offense at it. It is what it is. I find that it breaks the ice when meeting someone new. I just tell them that I am as deaf as a snake, they smile, adjust their speaking habits for a whole minute and then go back to their old way of speaking. I have lost almost all off the lower frequency hearing and have kept only the high and very high. I no longer play softball for two reasons. 1, I no longer can tell by the crack of the bat how hard the ball has been hit, 2, being 5'11 and 210, I don't want to run into another player chasing a fly pop that he called for and I did not hear. Some close calls made that decision for me. Play was in the over 60 league. We don't heal so quick any more.
Right now I am just trying to keep my business afloat for a few more years. Not ready to give it up as I enjoy doing it.

So, does anyone have any pertinent information for me. I have found a couple apps but not what I need. I am looking for something to turn incoming voice to text. If it is not out there just let me know.

Have you tried making an appointment with your audiologist? Not only are they in the business of helping people hear with hearing aids, but they also can tell you about assistive devices for home and work. That's how I found out about bluetooth and I've used it only as recently as 44 years old (thanks, Widex). My hearing was always moderate to severe but the right ear has been moving south. I really can't use phones at work and rely on emails too, and at home, I never use the phone. Anyway, bluetooth was new to me and I'm sure there's penty more my audiologist could have spoken about if I mentioned the need. That's part of their job. A vocational center may help too but the waiting lists are long and it'd be easier just to speak to an audiologist.

Laura

T Lau2046

Do you use your bluetooth with your hearing aids or without? I'll look into them this weekend.

Thank you

I use the bluetooth with the hearing aids and it's called the streamer, many brands carry that! like Oticon, they carry a streamer, Phonak carries the Icom etc LOL

T Lau2046

Do you use your bluetooth with your hearing aids or without? I'll look into them this weekend.

Thank you

Sorry for the late reply....I use bluetooth with the hearing aids. My hearing aids are Widex, I have the Fusion (or Clear 440) Top of the line hearing aids because I really needed them. They also come in Super 440 for loss in the severe to profound ranges - same price.

They come with TV Dex which allows you to hook up to the television and get the sound into the hearing aids. It's like you're listening to an IPod. (I've never had the experience personally). The bluetooth feature is enabled by a device you wear around your neck (with the phone in hand), when the call comes through, you hit the key on the phone to answer, and the caller's voice goes straight to your ears. It's unreal. I was never able to use the cell comfortably...I was always yelling with the person (usually my parents) yelling back. With the bluetooth, it was clear as a bell. Really amazing. This would be a great option for you since it would make using the cell possible. BTW, you speak into the device hanging around your neck, not the phone. The two just need to be together to work, so the phone can't be in the other room. I was told if your phone at work has bluetooth option, it could be enabled as well. I've yet to try that and I somehow doubt it'll work at my job. At least it helps me tremendously on the cell phone. Here's the site for my info, and BTW, I really love Widex.

DEX assistive listening devices - Widex International. Digital Hearing Aids.

SUPER - Widex International. Digital Hearing Aids.

Laura

Back