mostly deaf and getting worse

Deaf as a snake

Reaction score
Got hearing aids 6 years ago and they can no longer help. Bought a Droid Razr and am looking for an app that will convert voice to text right on the phone. Any help and/or suggestions?

well there's CI people around here so keep a lookout cause they can pop up like bunnies and join the party.
welcome to AD anyways :3

I have a small busines and have been very busy the last week. My hearing loss is the low range and on a phone I hear about 1 in 3 words. Do almost all business via email for clarity. Difficult to get new business this way. Looking for some feature for this droid razr that will print out the text of the caller as they are speaking. Anything at all??

the snake part is from my grandson. I coached his little league team this summer and that is how he introduced me to the other players. no offense taken.

the snake part is from my grandson. I coached his little league team this summer and that is how he introduced me to the other players. no offense taken.

YOu take no offense??

Oh, ok then. Butterflies are deaf...

Even here there are trolls. Bottoseni, if you have nothing of any value to add, go away. My hearing loss is just like my knees, shoulder and other things. It is a part of aging. I am trying to deal with it the best I can and your comments are not appreciated.

So you are Late Deafened and you don't know nothing about Deaf Culture and Deaf communities. Bottesini is trying to explain about the snake that can hear differently but are not deaf at all. Butterfly like Monarch Butterflies are all deaf which is the truth.

Also I think maybe Bottesini is shocked to know that he introduced you as Snake to his team. It is kind of mean to be call that, if you get our drift. That would be offended. But you were not offended that your grandson call you Snake. You don't have to bite off Bottesini on that. She is being blunt and so am I. You have a lot to learn about us here.

So :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just learn and browse around the forum and you will have lots of learning to do here. See you around here. :wave:

When a rattlesnake shakes its tail, does it hear the rattling? Scientists have long struggled to understand how snakes, which lack external ears, sense sounds. Now, a new study shows that sound waves cause vibrations in a snake's skull that are then "heard" by the inner ear.

"There's been this enduring myth that snakes are deaf," says neurobiologist Bruce Young of the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, who was not involved in the new research. "Behavioral studies have suggested that snakes can in fact hear, and now this work has gone one step further and explained how."

In humans, sound waves traveling through the air hit the eardrum, causing the movement of tiny bones and vibrations of tiny hair cells in the inner ear. These vibrations are then translated into nerve impulses that travel to the brain. Snakes have fully formed inner ear structures but no eardrum. Instead, their inner ear is connected directly to their jawbone, which rests on the ground as they slither. Previous studies have shown that vibrations traveling through the ground—such as the footsteps of predators or prey—cause vibrations in a snake's jawbone, relaying a signal to the brain via that inner ear.
Vibrating Skulls Help Snakes Hear - ScienceNOW

I saw Vibrating Skulls open for The Trash Kan Bandits if 1981.

So, does anyone have any pertinent information for me. I have found a couple apps but not what I need. I am looking for something to turn incoming voice to text. If it is not out there just let me know.

So, does anyone have any pertinent information for me. I have found a couple apps but not what I need. I am looking for something to turn incoming voice to text. If it is not out there just let me know.

WebCapTel - Captions of your calls with the convenience of the Internet Probably everyone else is scared away, but I still persist in my helpful natures. :) This is what you asked for on your second try.

Amazing facts about butterflies
Butterflies can't hear, but they can feel vibrations.
Butterflies taste with their feet.
Butterflies don't have lungs.
Butterflies breath through openings on their abdomen called 'spiracles'.
Butterflies smell with their antennae.
Millions of shingle like overlapping scales give butterfly wings their colour.
Butterflies are still able to fly if their scales are removed, they are just less colourful!
Butterflies are divided into two main groups called skippers (hesperioidea) and true butterflies (papilionoidea).
This is just incidental trivia in our Deaf conversation.

:P
Amazing facts about butterflies | West Australian Foundation for Deaf Children

If you are referring to the incoming voice of a phone call rather than in person you may find this useful. I have used Wireless CapTel by Sprint. It does use a certain amount of automation; but the errors are usually the kind that make you grin rather keeping you from understanding. DO look at the following site regardless of who your cell service provider is as the only requirements are an Android phone with the OS being 2.2 or higher and in a 3G service area.

Here is a web site that gives more information: Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

My use so far just happens to be all outgoing and I am satisfied with how the calls I have made with it have gone. I do use a neckloop in order to know when the person called has finished their greeting as they answer the call. I cannot understand what they are saying but can get enough to know when they have finished speaking and I can say who I am etc. so that they don't hang up while I am catching up reading what they said.

Also, please feel free to ask followup questions.

If you are referring to the incoming voice of a phone call rather than in person you may find this useful. I have used Wireless CapTel by Sprint. It does use a certain amount of automation; but the errors are usually the kind that make you grin rather keeping you from understanding. DO look at the following site regardless of who your cell service provider is as the only requirements are an Android phone with the OS being 2.2 or higher and in a 3G service area.

Here is a web site that gives more information: Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

My use so far just happens to be all outgoing and I am satisfied with how the calls I have made with it have gone. I do use a neckloop in order to know when the person called has finished their greeting as they answer the call. I cannot understand what they are saying but can get enough to know when they have finished speaking and I can say who I am etc. so that they don't hang up while I am catching up reading what they said.

Also, please feel free to ask followup questions.
You realize that is exactly what I put up in the post prior to yours?

You realize that is exactly what I put up in the post prior to yours?

They are different versions. You referred to WebCapTel which was developed for use with a computer browser.

The Wireless CapTel that I referred to is for the Android operating system on cell phones.

They are different versions. You referred to WebCapTel which was developed for use with a computer browser.

The Wireless CapTel that I referred to is for the Android operating system on cell phones.

That's interesting! I thought it was the wireless since Sprint is referenced.

That's interesting! I thought it was the wireless since Sprint is referenced.

Bottesini you and others interested in the different versions of CapTel might want to also look at the Hamilton site — Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone: SmartPhone Selector

The above is at the smartphone section but the bar at the top of the page also has buttons to click on for other information.

Back