largest bridge in the world?

coloravalanche said:
WHOA! WoW...Ive never seen any like this before...Where is this bridge coming from?
France.

This is our local bridge:

The Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge or New Cooper River Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge over the Cooper River in South Carolina, connecting downtown Charleston to Mount Pleasant. The eight lane bridge satisfied the capacity of U.S. Highway 17 when it opened in 2005 to replace two obsolete truss bridges. With a main span of 1,546 feet (471 m), the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge is the longest cable-stayed bridge in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ravenel,_Jr._Bridge

Below is a picture I took of the bridge. I use it on my laptop for desktop art.

Attachments

• BRIDGE.jpg
    BRIDGE.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 8
Wow, very interesting. Quite awesome bridges.

coloravalanche said:
WHOA! WoW...Ive never seen any like this before...Where is this bridge coming from?
Millau, France,

Try these links if you want to know more....
Good info here
Google Search

They did some great engineering including hydraulically moving the deck on the piers....
When the Millau Viaduct was being designed, Eiffel, a subsidiary of the Eiffage Group and dedicated to steel construction, estimated that seven intermediate temporary piers were required between the definitive piers in order to be able to 'launch' the deck during its construction.

Once a pier has been raised the machinery including the hydraulic system, is disassembled and moved to the location for installation of the following pier

This is my Favorite

This is my Favorite Bridge
Brooklyn-Bridge-1.jpg

Back