ladies and gentlemens I need your help!!

ANAJ i finished musical school in Europe( college degree). I am working as a musician for over 16 years and I can proudly say, successfully! my family counts many musicians and I think that I am able to understand and teach music. Also, I was teaching singing in elementary music school.

Thank you for your advice about voice recognition software.

DRPhil, I begin to understand some things which I even can't say here because someone will call me audits again. Thank you for your information about CI, now I know more about it.

It's Anij ... not Anaj

hello DRPHIL. Your respond helped me a lot. I understand that for the people who hear at least something or CI works for them, my project is useless. What about people who are profoundly deaf and CI didn't work for them? or deaf people who do not have a chance to get CI?

I think that CI is a revolution and eventually will work for all you guys.

I am prelingually and profoundly deaf. I do NOT want a CI, as I wear hearing aids that have been a very good match for me over the decades, and I'm waiting to see if I live long enough for stem cell therapy to become a reality. I'd rather wait for it than get CI. What if the world goes to hell, and then your CI inside develops problems - How will you fix it if the surgeons die in the wars> You're screwed, and you can't hear a damn thing. No thanks.

As a deaf musician myself (drummer), there is a HUGE difference between listening to music through vibrations only and really hearing music through your ears. NO comparison in my case. The skin/body is a very poor approximation of the ear in terms of telling apart textures of sounds, like telling apart a clarinet from a trumpet, even though they may play the same pitch. Never mine two like instruments doing a note while one bends a note in a suspenseful passage. Sorry, no way, uh-uh...

What I would like to see is someone come up with a hearing aid made specially for musicians who are profoundly deaf. There is no such thing at this time. I have someone who is trying to develop something, but that would basically set me back to the 1930s in terms of how big this thing is compared to a hearing aid. It would give me a much better frequency range and clearer sound than any hearing aid out there, though.

I am prelingually and profoundly deaf. I do NOT want a CI, as I wear hearing aids that have been a very good match for me over the decades, and I'm waiting to see if I live long enough for stem cell therapy to become a reality. I'd rather wait for it than get CI. What if the world goes to hell, and then your CI inside develops problems - How will you fix it if the surgeons die in the wars> You're screwed, and you can't hear a damn thing. No thanks.

As a deaf musician myself (drummer), there is a HUGE difference between listening to music through vibrations only and really hearing music through your ears. NO comparison in my case. The skin/body is a very poor approximation of the ear in terms of telling apart textures of sounds, like telling apart a clarinet from a trumpet, even though they may play the same pitch. Never mine two like instruments doing a note while one bends a note in a suspenseful passage. Sorry, no way, uh-uh...

What I would like to see is someone come up with a hearing aid made specially for musicians who are profoundly deaf. There is no such thing at this time. I have someone who is trying to develop something, but that would basically set me back to the 1930s in terms of how big this thing is compared to a hearing aid. It would give me a much better frequency range and clearer sound than any hearing aid out there, though.

thank you. very useful and I appreciate your opinion.

As I understand Cochlear Implants are considered ONLY when one is unable to "hear" with their Hearing Aids. I was in the Profound Loss category: 90 db for many years. Actual deaf in Right ear since February 19, 1992. Advised back then would eventually become bilateral DEAF. Happened December 20, 2006. Having eliminated an "ear infection" got referred to Sunnybrook/Toronto in early February, 2007 re Cochlear Implant consideration. Accepted with the operation on July 12,2007.

At a recent patients meeting Sunnybrook/Toronto-November 2011 a question re stem cells was asked and the "research doctor" said a "long way off" and" highly unlikely in his life time". He is in his 30s. Research "marches on"-fast enough?

At a recent patients meeting Sunnybrook/Toronto-November 2011 a question re stem cells was asked and the "research doctor" said a "long way off" and" highly unlikely in his life time". He is in his 30s. Research "marches on"-fast enough?

Just one doctor's opinion...

Tonight, our group has a meeting with a pleasant lady who lost hearing in the accident. We planned to give the detail presentation of our research and our prototype so that she can give a feedback. I think that you people showed me what is important , what is not and what do you want. It is good starting point for people who wants to create things.

DRPhil, I think I got the point about CT and why people want or do not want it. Now I will need the stats about how many deaf people would like music experience? I do not know how to get that, but so far, I am not very confident that many would like..

My young cousin is a Musical Technology student and is working with his school on something special for me. What you are trying to do sounds almost like it, but not totally.

I am one of the few that has zero hearing, but I am being "slaughtered" with musical tinnitus and the same tune repeating over and over for days on end. For me, it's a fact of life. Since I have lived with it for so long, I can deal with it. Yes, it does drive me "batty" at times, but I can deal with it.

I miss hearing music, but then again, I can "hear" music most times at will. I can think of a song from my time that I could hear and I will "hear" it.

Not being conversant with the wide parameters of stem cell research the doctor at Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant/Toronto does have great interest in such matters, That is his specialty-at the moment.
His comment at a recent Implant patients meeting-answering re: how soon.
Probably Google has more.

Did you know that some deaf folks don't listen to music? YES. I ALSO KNOW THAT SOME DEAF PEOPLE DO. THEY ARE TRYING TO EXPERIENCE MUSIC, THEY SPEND HOURS AND HOURS READING NOTES AND PRACTISING. WE CALL THEM HEROS.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute there, dude. "We call them heros" ... really?

And what makes you think that we are "trying to experience music" and that we "spend hours and hours reading notes and practicing"?

You can't be too sure everyone can enjoy the same things that are made for hearing people to enjoy. AGAIN, I AM SURE THAT THERE ARE DEAF PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT TO SENSE MUSIC, BUT I AM SURE THAT SOME WOULD LIKE.

For me, it's not that I don't want to experience music, per se. I really don't care one way or another. I don't NEED to experience music. You might be surprised about this, but I don't feel deprived at all because I can't hear music. Sure, if I wanted to, I could blast the music as loud as it can possibly go, and try to listen to the music and hear the music somewhat. (Notice that I said SOMEWHAT.) But what's the point? I don't feel the need to do that. Music isn't all that important to me. I don't feel deprived, just because I can't really listen to music. I don't yearn for music. Music isn't a big part of my life - unlike a lot of hearing people who depend on music.

A lot of hearing people like and love music, and that's fine - FOR THEM. For me, it's not important. Personally, I have a lot of other things that I enjoy more than I would enjoy music. I am indifferent towards music. It's not that I don't want to experience music - it's that I REALLY DO NOT CARE.

Yeah, there are probably some deaf people who do want to experience music. And that's fine. Whatever they want to do is up to them. To each his own. I'm just stating my own opinions and feelings, here.

I ALSO KNOW THAT SOME DEAF PEOPLE DO. THEY ARE TRYING TO EXPERIENCE MUSIC, THEY SPEND HOURS AND HOURS READING NOTES AND PRACTISING. WE CALL THEM HEROS.

No- we call ourselves Musicians ... nothing "heroic" about it.

Studying music is a choice, just like playing soccer - those of us who do it, understand music in a way that doesn't really need a lot of extra "assistance".

The thing many hearing people don't understand is that while hearing helps you don't actaully need to hear to understand music theory, play or study music. Pitch variations, intonation etc are learned visually and tactically and just like with hearing people lots of practice playing with tuners and metronomes. Hearing might "help" but there are far more issues at play.

I've been involved professionally (and occupationally) in the music industry for the last +20years - playing in semi-professional and professional orchestras, as a private teacher, a clinician, and as engineer doing post-production mixing and mastering etc. I've also professionally repaired instruments for the last 17years.

I'm not a "hero", I do something that I enjoy and am good at - regardless of my hearing.

Heroes are those saving lives, battling critical illnesses, caring for a severely ill or dying loved one .... THOSE are heroes.

WE are Deaf and Hoh Musicians ... nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
My young cousin is a Musical Technology student and is working with his school on something special for me. What you are trying to do sounds almost like it, but not totally.

I am one of the few that has zero hearing, but I am being "slaughtered" with musical tinnitus and the same tune repeating over and over for days on end. For me, it's a fact of life. Since I have lived with it for so long, I can deal with it. Yes, it does drive me "batty" at times, but I can deal with it.

I miss hearing music, but then again, I can "hear" music most times at will. I can think of a song from my time that I could hear and I will "hear" it.
Hello Kristina. Can you try to explain me what exactly your cousin is working on?

I am sorry to hear that you have musical tinnitus. From your respond, I can say that you are handling that much as you can.

I like that fact that you still remember music and that you are using those music memories.

No- we call ourselves Musicians ... nothing "heroic" about it.

Studying music is a choice, just like playing soccer - those of us who do it, understand music in a way that doesn't really need a lot of extra "assistance".

The thing many hearing people don't understand is that while hearing helps you don't actaully need to hear to understand music theory, play or study music. Pitch variations, intonation etc are learned visually and tactically and just like with hearing people lots of practice playing with tuners and metronomes. Hearing might "help" but there are far more issues at play.

I've been involved professionally (and occupationally) in the music industry for the last +20years - playing in semi-professional and professional orchestras, as a private teacher, a clinician, and as engineer doing post-production mixing and mastering etc. I've also professionally repaired instruments for the last 17years.

I'm not a "hero", I do something that I enjoy and am good at - regardless of my hearing.

Heroes are those saving lives, battling critical illnesses, caring for a severely ill or dying loved one .... THOSE are heroes.

WE are Deaf and Hoh Musicians ... nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry.. for me you are a hero. I know how much time I spend practicing and studying in order to be professional musician. Then, you are an engineer which Is one more reason for me to respect you. When I said hero, I didn't mean that you deserve to be called like that because you are deaf and you achieved something in your life. I said that because of your achievements. People who follow something, fight, create, help.. that is my definition for heroic behavior. DEAF PEOPLE WHO WANTS MUSIC, AND GO FOR IT, ARE HEROS.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute there, dude. "We call them heros" ... really?

And what makes you think that we are "trying to experience music" and that we "spend hours and hours reading notes and practicing"?

For me, it's not that I don't want to experience music, per se. I really don't care one way or another. I don't NEED to experience music. You might be surprised about this, but I don't feel deprived at all because I can't hear music. Sure, if I wanted to, I could blast the music as loud as it can possibly go, and try to listen to the music and hear the music somewhat. (Notice that I said SOMEWHAT.) But what's the point? I don't feel the need to do that. Music isn't all that important to me. I don't feel deprived, just because I can't really listen to music. I don't yearn for music. Music isn't a big part of my life - unlike a lot of hearing people who depend on music.

A lot of hearing people like and love music, and that's fine - FOR THEM. For me, it's not important. Personally, I have a lot of other things that I enjoy more than I would enjoy music. I am indifferent towards music. It's not that I don't want to experience music - it's that I REALLY DO NOT CARE.

Yeah, there are probably some deaf people who do want to experience music. And that's fine. Whatever they want to do is up to them. To each his own. I'm just stating my own opinions and feelings, here.

I fact that you don't want or do not need music, places you out of this whole idea about music experience. I don't see a reason for you comment something which you do not need or want. If I do not candy, why do I care how it tastes. People who care, will try it, offer feedback, accept it, reject...

Hello Kristina. Can you try to explain me what exactly your cousin is working on?

I am sorry to hear that you have musical tinnitus. From your respond, I can say that you are handling that much as you can.

I like that fact that you still remember music and that you are using those music memories.

He is trying to come up with something like an equalizer that will recognize the different instruments being played and mention them on the display. He also wants to somehow have the lyrics show up as well. He is a classical pianist and is working on that spectrum, but is also trying other things. I was also a classical pianist and can still play, even though I don't hear it. While typing this, I got myself to "hear" Beethoven's Fur Elise.

A few comments here...

A lot of deafs prefer to be deaf. They don't think they need fixing. They don't miss music because it is not a regular part of their world. Do you miss CC when you watch TV? For us, we never watch TV without it. We are used to it, same as you might be to flip on a radio and tap your feet to the beat.

Second, people might take you a bit more seriously if your posts contained less spelling and syntax errors. I am not saying you are an idiot; perhaps you are a foreign student?

We all love to be loved. I hope that your intentions are to assist deaf people, rather than using them for some kind of profit-oriented business. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Back