Introducing me

ms.chantelbailey

Reaction score
HiMy name is Chante'l and I'm partially deaf, I'm working on my bachelor's degree and if all goes well I should graduate in May 2016! I'm taking ASL so that I can brush up on what I know and learn and gain more knowledge.

I was born premature and grew up with hearing aids and was considered hard of hearing but recently I began completely deaf in my left ear and my right ear is barely hanging on. It has been a huge transaction with my peers in class or just professors talking either with the lights off or walking around so I can't read their lips, but I'm learning.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people and I hope everyone had a great holiday so far.

:wave: and congrats on your degree! What is it in?

I was also born premature and docs told my folks I was missing inner ear bones. I'm hoh

Thank you and Sociology Criminology Pre-law. I'm getting my minor in forensic science, English, and legal studies

Welcome! Good on you for learning ASL! Have you thought about looking into CI for your deaf ear? CIs are excellent for progressive losses!

I am attempting to go back to school. Congrats on your success

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Welcome! Good on you for learning ASL! Have you thought about looking into CI for your deaf ear? CIs are excellent for progressive losses!
I'm considering them. I know that a few of my doctors want to try hearing aids first and I guess trial and error to see what works. But I have to do more research on CIs ti get a better understanding

You could try and have voc rehab get you some hearing aids , they'll help people that are working or going to school buy new HA. Rehab helped me when I was going to college but I got ill and wasn't able to finish and became a health aide instead.

I'm considering them. I know that a few of my doctors want to try hearing aids first and I guess trial and error to see what works. But I have to do more research on CIs ti get a better understanding

Oh I see.... I thought you meant deaf as in "ear totally unresponsive to aiding" since most HOH kids tend to get a lot of hearing technology intervention, and usually do wear aids on a deaf ear unless it is totally unresponsive to aiding........

And of course do try HAs first. You may find yourself responding very well to them..... Everyone responds to HA or CI technology differently.

I'm completely deaf in my left ear but they want to save what little hearing I have left in my right ear.

Oh I see.... I thought you meant deaf as in "ear totally unresponsive to aiding" since most HOH kids tend to get a lot of hearing technology intervention, and usually do wear aids on a deaf ear unless it is totally unresponsive to aiding........
I'm completely deaf in my left ear but they want to save what little hearing I have left in my right ear.

Back