I'm new!:)

KiraMichelle2011

Reaction score
I will introduce myself.
I am Kira, I'm 17, and I play Hockey:)
I am hearing, but I am fluent in Asl!
I am here to meet a deaf friend my age to sign with and just be friends, any takers?:)

Welcome! How did you become fluent in ASL? Are you a CODA?

Hearing and fluent in ASL, thus logical that she is interested in Deaf Culture and such.
9Hy0o.gif

I have a deaf cousin, and he taught me to sign. I've taken Asl 1,2, and 3 at school, and I enjoy the deaf culture very much.:)

Hearing and fluent in ASL, thus logical that she is interested in Deaf Culture and such.
9Hy0o.gif

Fluency would imply an exposure to Deaf Culture already. That is why I asked if she was CODA.

I have a deaf cousin, and he taught me to sign. I've taken Asl 1,2, and 3 at school, and I enjoy the deaf culture very much.:)

Thanks for the response. Yep, you learned from a deaf individual, so you have had exposure to Deaf Culture. Usually someone who is fluent at your age, there is deafness in the family.

Fluency would imply an exposure to Deaf Culture already. That is why I asked if she was CODA.

CODA? And ASL 1, 2.., and 3? There's ASL 3? Kudos to you! Heh wish I paid attention back in high school...

Your age doesn't have anything to do with it. CODA refers to a hearing child of deaf parents. CODA = Child of Deaf Adults.

doesn't CODA usually apply to Child of Deaf Adults (parents)?

Isn't that exactly what I said? :dunno2: A deaf child of deaf adults is a DODA.

I mean - she's not child of deaf parents... just that she has a deaf cousin so she's not CODA

I mean - she's not child of deaf parents... just that she has a deaf cousin

Yeah, that's why I asked. She didn't give that info until after I asked if she was a CODA. And the response was, "I'm not a CODA, I'm 17." That's why I explained the meaning and the fact that age did not apply.

Why is it everyone gets asked if they are a CODA if they are not deaf. I have seen it several times and each time they say no but the next one gets the same question. Is it just the most likely reason a hearie would know ASL?

Why is it everyone gets asked if they are a CODA if they are not deaf. I have seen it several times and each time they say no but the next one gets the same question. Is it just the most likely reason a hearie would know ASL?

advanced speculation before one proceeds.

Back