I'm a hearing girl, how do I build a friendship with a deaf guy

Deaf people and deaf-impaired people can not become friends.

ah.. kinda like

"Muslims and Christians cannot be friends"

"Nazi and Jews cannot be friends"

"Romans and Christians cannot be friends"

"Caucasians and Africans cannot be friends

"Lesbians/Gays and Straight cannot be friends"

and so forth and so forth..

Sorry but, i find your "opinion" offensive and concerning...

Im deaf, but i have so many non-deaf friends, of all race, colour and sex, as well as impairment of any kinds.

YOU need to learn about INDIVIDUALISM..

idiot....

My question for a deaf person, is, are you generally suspicious of hearing people who try to be friends with you?

Yes, sometimes. It's sort of common for hearie men taking advantage of vulnerably naive d/Deaf ladies, it goes the same way by vice versa with hearie ladies do to d/Deaf men.

Last month, I was on a road trip to meet my friend at Travel Centers of America in Harrisburg, Pa. and I sat down inside of Country Buffet dinner at TA and I ordered my meal in ASL to the waiter behind the table counter, there was a group of 4 hearing men-- they are truck drivers were trying to ask me to join them at their table. They gave me bad vibe wondering what made them interest in me to join them and they wanted to pay for my dinner. Back of my mind, I DID NOT THINK SO. I could tell that they were interested in me just because I'm "special" due to deafness. I said to them in ASL, "Nope, no thanks. Nice try" along with giving them my middle finger. I cannot imagine myself being vulnerable and what could if they ask me for a favor in return to do blow jobs or a gangbanging fuck in their 16 wheels rigger after my free meal?

Last edited:
Could you please tell why you feel this way?

Yeah, because in my experience when it comes to notice people with CI behind their ears or hearing aids on their ears, I approach to them saying hello with my signing at the same time and they suddenly act like they are trying to avoid me.

The last time this happened like that was at Indian Echo Cave in Hershey, Pa. last month while I was with tour guide inside the cave and I noticed three different tourist men, one elder with hearing aids, one with CI, the other guy who has Cerebral Palsy wearing 2 hearing aids. I mistook the CP guy because I thought he was signing something to me. Actually, all of the "deaf" men don't know sign language as the female tourist told me. Oh well.

Yeah, because in my experience when it comes to notice people with CI behind their ears or hearing aids on their ears, I approach to them saying hello with my signing at the same time and they suddenly act like they are trying to avoid me.

The last time this happened like that was at Indian Echo Cave in Hershey, Pa. last month while I was with tour guide inside the cave and I noticed three different tourist men, one elder with hearing aids, one with CI, the other guy who has Cerebral Palsy wearing 2 hearing aids. I mistook the CP guy because I thought he was signing something to me. Actually, all of the "deaf" men don't know sign language as the female tourist told me. Oh well.

I used to do that too back in the day and it was because i was pissed off that everybody thought deaf people signed and it bugged me to be so stereotyped. I spent my whole life trying to be as not deaf as possible so it was a slap in the face that despite I could clearly speak and lipread, then I was approached as if I couldn't. (i know it doesn't make sense but that was my mindset back then - part of the oralism brainwashed stuff).

I feel bad about it now...they only wanted to say hi.

Back