Howdy

Tylenn

Reaction score
Hello,
My name Is Sean, and I am a General manager of a restaurant in Austin Texas. Recently ther was a Deaf Convention near my work and my restaurant was flooded with those who were HoH, Deaf and Hearing. It was amazing watching them communicate to eachother and I have always found ASL fascinating. I have been wanting to learn ASL for years and because of that experience I decided to pick it up. I have been on Lifeprint.com and asl.ms pretty religiously since then and having fun learning the language( I am on course 22 now) and I bought a 500 word flash card set.

I do have a slight problem though, the years of being in food service, cutting and burning my hands more times than I can even begin to count has ruined some of my flexibility in my fingers. ( my "E"s, "M"s and "C"s look a lot alike) But i am still having fun with it. ( I also assume the soreness in my hands will go away the more I sign hahahah)

Is there any advice y'all could give to help me better communicate with a Deaf or HoH individual. Or other ways to improve? :ty:

Austin is a big deaf city. There are lots of opportunities for you to go out and take ASL classes with a Deaf teacher which will help you progress much faster than with any other resource.

I wouldn't worry so much about the fingerspelling issue. Like Botts posted, if you interact with live ASL users, you'll get more productive feedback on how clearly you're signing and fingerspelling.

Yeah I don't know about Austin but Houston deaf network posts socials all the time. Mabye host one at the resturant?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

What resturant is it by the way?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back