How the heck do i get a job if i can't hear? ALSO...hearing aid question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharyn350z

Reaction score
:eek3:How the heck do i get a job if i can't hear? I just lost my hearing and am totally at a loss as to what to do about a job. i got laid off from my previous job when my hearing started to go and now am totally deaf. i can't figure out how im ever going to go to an interview ever again. also, can hearing aids help me if i can't hear a thing? i cant even hear the smoke alarm but some people say i should try a hearing aid...i just dont wanna get my hopes up. don't you have to be able to HEAR at least a little bit to be able to benefit from hearing aids??? HELP??? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen an audiologist? They can test your hearing and make recommendations regarding hearing aids or cohlear implants.

What kind of jobs are you going after? Customer Service jobs that typically require a heavy phone load are not an option. Other jobs descriptions can be rewritten to accommodate your disability - provided you ace the interview and get in the door.

Are you able to carry a conversation? Lip-reading, signing, make phone calls?

:eek3:How the heck do i get a job if i can't hear? I just lost my hearing and am totally at a loss as to what to do about a job. i got laid off from my previous job when my hearing started to go and now am totally deaf. i can't figure out how im ever going to go to an interview ever again. also, can hearing aids help me if i can't hear a thing? i cant even hear the smoke alarm but some people say i should try a hearing aid...i just dont wanna get my hopes up. don't you have to be able to HEAR at least a little bit to be able to benefit from hearing aids??? HELP??? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious, what job did you previously hold?

If you just lost all hearing, your doctor should know the cause why and an audiologist can test to see if you benefit from hearing aids.

You can get jobs such as postal worker if you are good at taking tests, and the government actually adds points for your disability instead of taking away.

Yeah, let us know what job you had. There's a possibility that they could have made reasonable accommodations for you. Let us know and we can help you from there.

You should see an ENT and an audiologist or get a referral to one from an ENT. If you haven't been to an ENT, then you should go because sometimes when you lose hearing for no reason a steroid treatment could help with the hearing.

You first need an audiogram to determind if hearing aids will help at all. There's also a cochlear implant that could help you if hearing aids are no help at all. Or you could live your life as a deaf person with no hearing.

#1- see MD if this hearing loss happen without known cause, there may just be explanation for resolution.

#2- after medical clearance, and possible ENT referral and evaluation, see an audiologist who will give detailed guidence and recommendation for HA's

#3- Welcome to AD! let us know how it goes :ty:

It happened all of a sudden

On Feb 3rd of 2008 i just lost all equilibrium and felt heavy and dizzy and got ringing in my ears. I was working (and hearing normal) as an office manager in Ballard. I could not drive a car or even hardly walk. all i wanted to do was sleep. i saw SOOOOO many MDs and went to the ER and had cat scans and MRIs and no one can find anything "wrong." i dunno. i was a witness to a crime and awaiting trial when the "attack" happened to me and so one of the MDs, a neurotologist thought it actually might be somatoform in origin and suggested i get coulseling. i did get counseling and was eventually able to drive and walk again, then i got fired from my job because they "needed someone there immediately" and so they "laid me off." it was Ballard Sheet Metal. Nice, huh? THAT sent me into a near agoraphobic depression that was worse than the one i was living in as a crime witness. as i got more and more depressed and withdrew from everyone and everywhere, my hearing went with it. Now, i cannot hear at all except for the constant tinnitus. My pelvic bone was fractured during that crime and I also took lots of Vicodin for pain and Xanax for stress and anxiety too. It could have been caused by a number of things. i guess. Now all i do is volunteer cat sit and apply online for jobs.

On Feb 3rd of 2008 i just lost all equilibrium and felt heavy and dizzy and got ringing in my ears. I was working (and hearing normal) as an office manager in Ballard. I could not drive a car or even hardly walk. all i wanted to do was sleep. i saw SOOOOO many MDs and went to the ER and had cat scans and MRIs and no one can find anything "wrong." i dunno. i was a witness to a crime and awaiting trial when the "attack" happened to me and so one of the MDs, a neurotologist thought it actually might be somatoform in origin and suggested i get coulseling. i did get counseling and was eventually able to drive and walk again, then i got fired from my job because they "needed someone there immediately" and so they "laid me off." it was Ballard Sheet Metal. Nice, huh? THAT sent me into a near agoraphobic depression that was worse than the one i was living in as a crime witness. as i got more and more depressed and withdrew from everyone and everywhere, my hearing went with it. Now, i cannot hear at all except for the constant tinnitus. My pelvic bone was fractured during that crime and I also took lots of Vicodin for pain and Xanax for stress and anxiety too. It could have been caused by a number of things. i guess. Now all i do is volunteer cat sit and apply online for jobs.

Why does this sounds too familiar to me...? I'm going to research something. I will get back to you.

I'm going to suggest that you contact your local BVR agency. They can assist you with accommodations in the workplace.

Jesus Christ...you think Deafies can't work? Get real. Deafies do have a job(s).

LINK: Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss

If you haven't seek medical attention, I hope you will consider it asap. There is a looooooong list of underlying possible causes...and some are pretty serious. :/

Contact the ALDA - you will find some of the nicest people ever. They will help you with this situation. :) Here's the website: ALDA - Association of Late-Deafened Adults Inc.

Also, contact your state vocational rehabiliation office...they are supposed to help with appropriate job placement, accommodations, and other related things. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I think she have disorder known as Terror Silence which happens during of a crime she witnessed. It shut her down. She need to face her fear, something that triggers it. That's what I think but I :dunno:

Many deaf people, including myself, have had jobs and careers.

I am confused what u mean by how u can get a job if u cant hear? Are u talking about any job or specific ones that u are trained for?

I think she have disorder known as Terror Silence which happens during of a crime she witnessed. It shut her down. She need to face her fear, something that triggers it. That's what I think but I :dunno:

That's interesting. A possibility, to be sure, but there is no indication of that in her post. Maybe I missed something.

That's interesting. A possibility, to be sure, but there is no indication of that in her post. Maybe I missed something.

I'm missing something too. It happens when you were traumatized by fear or something you didn't wish you didn't want to see in this case(blindness) or didn't want to hear(deafness). Which sometime cannot be cured by anything but facing the fear.

I think she said it in another thread, that that is what the doctor thinks.

one of the MDs, a neurotologist thought it actually might be somatoform in origin and suggested i get coulseling. i did get counseling and was eventually able to drive and walk again,

It was in this thread Jillio, I made a mistake.

I'm missing something too. It happens when you were traumatized by fear or something you didn't wish you didn't want to see in this case(blindness) or didn't want to hear(deafness). Which sometime cannot be cured by anything but facing the fear.

Yeah, I know about the disorder that you are talking about.

It was in this thread Jillio, I made a mistake.

Thanks, Bott. I missed that completely. Been a long day!:giggle:

Well, if the physician can't determine a physical cause for her symptoms, it would certainly appear to be a case of Conversion Disorder. She most certainly should seek assessment from a mental health counselor. And if counseling has, indeed, reduced the symptoms, then she needs to continue.

Just because you can't hear doesn't mean you can't work. Not every job requires hearing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back