HOA says Cant fly a flag in my yard

I wonder what the council's reaction would be if enough people showed up at one of their meetings to protest.

Another thought is how many kids want to earn some money for shoveling for other people and how do those charges compare to the fines for not doing it.

People dont hire kids to shovel anymore due to the liability risks of them getting hurt and sueing your homeowners insurance, everyone looking to make fast cash, get rich quick schemes.

That's sad. That's the city government, not a private HOA, so what can you do?

I know it city government but is just one more thing that is making harder for people to own a house in my city and with the winter we just had that $50 fine would add up very fast on top of having to pay for the heat too. My condo take care of our shoveling. If I can't sell my condo and get stuck living here I will made some phone calls in the winter and say the city will have to help people that can't afford to pay the fine and I would call COA . I will certainly try to do something if I still am living here. I hope people that can't afford to pay the fine and are not able to shovel snow will make some phone calls. I am always calling COA about issues that affect the elderlies , I guess it from being a health aide , I know how hard it's for people living alone and being housebound or bedbound. I just hope the city think about this before fining a person that housebound $50 for not shoveling off their sidewalk.

In some HOA, the fees can be ridiculous expensive forcing residents to pay. While it is mentioned that most HOA are strict with exterior of the house (painting, roof, yard), parking. Some of them abuse the power, some are dirty, some are good, it depends on the area. If I were to own a house... it will not be under HOA for sure.

Same here, I prefer to own a house in unincorporated area and having sheriff as law enforcement agency.

I love coast area with mountain.

Same here, I prefer to own a house in unincorporated area and having sheriff as law enforcement agency.

I love coast area with mountain.

Depends on where you are talking about. I didn't think there were any in my community of about 14,000 (with two villages that ajoin it to the north and south that you have to read a sign to know where the change is) and a Google search does not find any either. I am in the middle of town and do not have to deal with a HOA. We have better rates for things like insurance than those in an unincorporated area nearby and more likely to be on a street that gets plowed when we get snow. Also, I have city water and sewer and could have cable TV if I wanted it rather than an antenna.

Depends on where you are talking about. I didn't think there were any in my community of about 14,000 (with two villages that ajoin it to the north and south that you have to read a sign to know where the change is) and a Google search does not find any either. I am in the middle of town and do not have to deal with a HOA. We have better rates for things like insurance than those in an unincorporated area nearby and more likely to be on a street that gets plowed when we get snow. Also, I have city water and sewer and could have cable TV if I wanted it rather than an antenna.

HOA is very common in nice incorporated area, but less common in poor urban area, rural and cluster neighborhood in unincorporated area.

I live in incorporated city with HOA. There is no cable TV in our neighborhood, but you have subscribe to satellite TV and DSL for internet.

The cluster neighborhood in unincorporated area have cable TV/internet and it is not necessarily rural area.

HOA is very common in nice incorporated area, but less common in poor urban area, rural and cluster neighborhood in unincorporated area.

I live in incorporated city with HOA. There is no cable TV in our neighborhood, but you have subscribe to satellite TV and DSL for internet.

The cluster neighborhood in unincorporated area have cable TV/internet and it is not necessarily rural area.

As I said it is a matter of location! Home Owners Associations seem to be very, very rare in the smaller incorporated cities/towns of Southern Illinois.

In the one where I live we have a choice of cable, two different satellite providers, AT&T just recently started offering U-verse or put up your own antenna if you just want OTA TV. You can get internet through the local cable company or DSL through AT&T (AT&T also provides landline service).

People dont hire kids to shovel anymore due to the liability risks of them getting hurt and sueing your homeowners insurance, everyone looking to make fast cash, get rich quick schemes.

plus people do not know their neighbors like I did when growing up. People come and go a lot faster today and people do not want their kids going to stranger homes . It was a lot difference when I was a kid , we knew every person on my street .

Where I live we have CC&R's not HOA. I absolutely love it and would never live in another house without them. CC&R's are signed when you purchase your home. They are not really strict but do help you if there is a problem. No crazy paint colors, no cars parked on lawns, no boats or RV's blocking your driveway or parked on the street. You can walk through my entire neighborhood of 100+, almost 30 year old homes and not one is run down. It helps keep our property values as high as they are.

As I said it is a matter of location! Home Owners Associations seem to be very, very rare in the smaller incorporated cities/towns of Southern Illinois.

In the one where I live we have a choice of cable, two different satellite providers, AT&T just recently started offering U-verse or put up your own antenna if you just want OTA TV. You can get internet through the local cable company or DSL through AT&T (AT&T also provides landline service).

Your house is half or more than century old? HOA isn't formed until 1970s and it is rare for older houses to be controlled by HOA.

HOA is very common in newer housing in incorporated area, even small or large.

Your house is half or more than century old? HOA isn't formed until 1970s and it is rare for older houses to be controlled by HOA.

HOA is very common in newer housing in incorporated area, even small or large.

The part I have added the bold to in quoting you evidently applies to the part of the USA where you live. It does not apply to the part of the country where I live!!!!!!

Where I live we have CC&R's not HOA. I absolutely love it and would never live in another house without them. CC&R's are signed when you purchase your home. They are not really strict but do help you if there is a problem. No crazy paint colors, no cars parked on lawns, no boats or RV's blocking your driveway or parked on the street. You can walk through my entire neighborhood of 100+, almost 30 year old homes and not one is run down. It helps keep our property values as high as they are.

What does CC&R stand for? It is evidently a term in common use in California but not here in the mid-west.

The part I have added the bold to in quoting you evidently applies to the part of the USA where you live. It does not apply to the part of the country where I live!!!!!!

I don't think you are understanding my statement and when I mention about common to have HOA in newer neighborhoods, also many people complained that they have a hard time to find nice neighborhoods without HOA. Reba is correct about neighborhoods with no HOA usually have some rundown houses or undesirable, especially RV and commercial trucks. I already know some newer neighborhoods do not have HOA, but it is getting rare now, even in anywhere of US. I'm not saying about apply to ALL places, but I mention about common.

We have CC&R also but it's the HOA who enforces them. We too, signed them when we bought our home.

If you don't have an HOA, who enforces the CC&R?

Our subdivision is in two sections, under one HOA. The older section is almost 40 years old and is in the county. Our section, newer, about 26 years old, is in the city limits.

we purposely avoid moving into newer subdivisions or areas where there are these HOA's or restrictions. We looked for a place for a couple of Summers actually because we knew we would need to build a physical fence with the two dogs.

my folks live in a condo. They have been there about a year now. They do have some of the typical condo rules, when my mom's sister visited us in Fall of '13, they parked their rented car overnight next to my folk's condo, not realizing that it would be frowned upon.

we purposely avoid moving into newer subdivisions or areas where there are these HOA's or restrictions. We looked for a place for a couple of Summers actually because we knew we would need to build a physical fence with the two dogs.

my folks live in a condo. They have been there about a year now. They do have some of the typical condo rules, when my mom's sister visited us in Fall of '13, they parked their rented car overnight next to my folk's condo, not realizing that it would be frowned upon.

I hate living in a condo .

how long have you lived in the condo? What attracted you to it before?

Like you, dogmom, we spent months looking for land to build on that would not be part of an HOA. After 4 months, we found 5 acres. Construction on the new home starts June 12!

I'm getting paranoid now about HOA's, after reading all these posts!

The other day, I noticed a car stopped at the end of my driveway, and it looked like the passenger was writing on a clipboard.

Today, another car stopped at the end of my driveway. The passenger was taking pictures of my driveway (or the vehicles parked on it). :dunno:

Whazzup?!

Back