Hi New Member

rmmagow

Reaction score
Probably scorned as I am a cochlear implant user.
In 1982 I suddenly lost 100% of my hearing in both ears, I was 32 years old. I was pretty much not allowed into the deaf community because of course I couldn't sign or anything yet. Took sign classes, lip-reading, read up what I could find and basically found myself by myself for the next 20+ years.
I did some research relative to the implants and finally on 9/11 (yup, that one) had my final MRI exam to see if I could get 'planted.
Got my first one around xmas, became the first dual-implantee in my state the following February and essentially never looked back.

Lol you're not going to get scorned for using C.I! Come on! There are a TON of users of C.I. here and H.A.s =P I know a lot of deaf people who tend to be very proud and don't want assistance... ( I'm definitely guilty of this even though my hearing loss was later on in life ) but we're just like any other community out there. 1 or 2 people can't speak for all of us. I'm glad the C.I. works for you, and welcome. =D

Thanks! And I am surprized! Way back when before i was implanted there was this whole argument about the implant wiping out the deaf community. I didn't take part in any of that but due to my inability to connect effectively with any deaf folks I jumped at the opportunity to try the implant when it became more practical. At 32 when I first lost it I was offered full disability for life! I was by then 11 years into a technical career, computers when they were really computers :) and couldn't bear the thought of going vegetable so early on. My work enabled me to carry on quite a bit without hearing and I was a damn good lip-reader. But let me tell you, having a chance to hear Leonard Cohen and the Beatles again when I was about 52 years old brought a tear to my eye. My son was 4 when I lost my hearing, he was getting out of college when I had the 'plants put in. We were talking, talking normally and I wasn't even thinking about it when he said, "Dad, do you know this is the first real talk we've had since I was 4 years old". Yup, it was totally worth it.

Back