Hello!

infinityxx19

Reaction score
Hello, y'all!

My name is Maggie and I have recently found this website. I am very excited. I am hearing, but I sign. I currently live in Texas and I will be attending Baylor University!

Please feel free to message me or email me at dorisbenavides09@gmail.com :)

Have a great night!

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Hello, y'all!

My name is Maggie and I have recently found this website. I am very excited. I am hearing, but I sign. I currently live in Texas and I will be attending Baylor University!

Please feel free to message me or email me at dorisbenavides09@gmail.com :)

Have a great night!

:welcome: Welcome to the All Deaf forum! That's great you sign. How long have you been signing?

I am disappointed you are going to attend Baylor University for I am not a fan of Baylor Bears, but rather the Texas Longhorns! :laugh2:

Thank you!
I've been signing for about a year, still trying to become completely fluent; I absolutely love the language!

Haha I'd much rather Sic'em than Hook'em! :)

Thank you!
I've been signing for about a year, still trying to become completely fluent; I absolutely love the language!

Haha I'd much rather Sic'em than Hook'em! :)

Nice! You can become completely fluent only if you immerse yourself in the language and the Deaf culture. The question begs it. How did you get into ASL?

Fine. Be that way! The Longhorns are much cooler and tougher than the wimpy looking Baylor Bears. Just kidding. :)

Immersion is definitely the plan!

I became interested in the language and the culture in general when I was around 15. There was just something about the close knit community that was so crucially appealing. I can't quite describe it! :)

I truthfully, I don't follow the teams much, but I personally think bears are much more loveable! <3

Immersion is definitely the plan!

I became interested in the language and the culture in general when I was around 15. There was just something about the close knit community that was so crucially appealing. I can't quite describe it! :)

I truthfully, I don't follow the teams much, but I personally think bears are much more loveable! <3

That's good to hear! Don't be so superficial! I want details!! Did you see people at your high school use sign language? Did you just happen to see deaf people in your community using sign language? Did you take sign language classes or did you initially learn ASL on your own? :hmm:

Oh, that's understandable that you don't follow the teams much, but at least, you know of the bittersweet rivalry between Baylor and Texas. Bears are, indeed, much more lovable if they are in the teddy bear form. :laugh2:

By the way, I reside in San Antonio.

I actually became interested in learning when I was working during the spring last year. One of my coworkers was deaf and it was great getting to communicate without him having to read lips. I took a semester of ASL at a community college and continued to practice on my own.

I've visited San Antonio a couple of times! Beautiful city!

I actually became interested in learning when I was working during the spring last year. One of my coworkers was deaf and it was great getting to communicate without him having to read lips. I took a semester of ASL at a community college and continued to practice on my own.

I've visited San Antonio a couple of times! Beautiful city!

Cool! Yes, it is much easier to communicate with deaf people by signing or even using paper and ink or technology (i.e. phones, iPads, etc.) as opposed to having the deaf person read lips. It can be difficult at times for me to read lips, especially of strangers. In reality, 30% of what is being lip-read can be understood. This is primarily because many words look exactly the same as far as mouth movements are concerned. For example, hat and cat have the same movement so it is hard to tell which is being said, you know.

How come didn't you take more sign language classes at the community college? By the way, there are cool online ASL resources.

San Antonio is, indeed, a beautiful city. I have lived in Houston, Austin, and Beaumont. I prefer Austin over all cities in Texas, but San Antonio is the best city to live in terms of culture, traffic congestion, job market, etc.

I definitely agree. There's a much deeper connection and understanding once one is able to communicate using signs.

The main reason why I was unable to continue taking classes at my local community college is due to the fact I'm a senior in high school and the last year of school can be pretty hectic! Sadly, my school only offers one period of sign language in which I have my internship making it impossible kt have taken it. It was pretty sucky!

In regards to SA, there are so many things to do! A plus being the infrastructure of the city makes everything accessible!

I definitely agree. There's a much deeper connection and understanding once one is able to communicate using signs.

The main reason why I was unable to continue taking classes at my local community college is due to the fact I'm a senior in high school and the last year of school can be pretty hectic! Sadly, my school only offers one period of sign language in which I have my internship making it impossible kt have taken it. It was pretty sucky!

In regards to SA, there are so many things to do! A plus being the infrastructure of the city makes everything accessible!

Yes, people, both hearing and deaf, can have a much deeper connection and understanding with sign language because there would be no real difficulty in understanding what is being signed (provided both persons are using the same version of sign language). Hearing people who use spoken languages can have a difficult time understanding one another when one or both persons use a heavy accent. It is funny when interpreters have a hard time understanding and translating what a person with a really heavy accent is saying, especially if one is from the middle east!

Ah! You are a senior huh? I know how the last year of high school can be very hectic as it was once for me as I took 3 AP classes as well as a slew of other classes.

With SA, yes, there are a lot of things to do, especially at and around the Riverwalk!

Back