Hello from UGA!

katielouasl1

Reaction score
Hey all,

My name is Katie, and I am an ASL 1 student at the University of Georgia, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders.

My instructor's goal is that we have as much "face time" with Deaf culture as possible, including practicing our ASL with native signers. Thus, we are required to attend several Deaf culture events throughout the community (which have all been a blast!).

However, another requirement is to have a 1 hour ASL conversation with a Deaf person outside of these events. I am having trouble locating an interested Deaf person to sign with me (especially considering I am an ASL 1 student with a limited vocabulary/fingerspelling abilities). So if anyone would be willing to have an hour Skype convo with me in ASL (or face to face if you happen to live in the Athens area) I would be eternally grateful.

To prove to my instructor that the interaction has actually taken place, I would need your name and email address. You could give me permission to sign your name to the form I am required to turn in, or I could fax/email you a copy and have you return it to me. If you are willing to help or need more information, please either reply to this thread or email me at katielou@uga.edu

Thanks for taking the time to look at all this, and I hope I don't look like I'm trying to get y'all to do my homework for me like on some of the threads on here!

Thanks,
Katie M.
UGA class of 2014

Lol, no, it is not due until December 1st, but I'd like to get it out of the way as soon as I can. Finals are about to kill me!:eek3:

I'd help but I don't know ASL LOL, good luck with finding someone though :)
There's a forum on here somewhere for people who want to do Skype convo's, if you look around you should find it, sorry I don't know where abouts it is LOL

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am afraid that would not be a good way to get about finding a Deaf person to sign with you online. You need to find one or two Deaf persons to sign at the Deaf events around your area. I think the ASL instructor is telling you to go and look for the Deaf event(s) in your area if you are living in the city. There should be lots of Deaf people in the Deaf community that enjoy being in the Deaf social events. Ask the instructor about that so you can find them around the local area. He or she will be happy to give you where the locations are. :fingersx: Good luck!

You have lots to learn about our Deaf and Hard Of Hearing perspectives. So enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome to AD! I'm in GA. I'd help you out but I do not meet people over the net. Considering the recent GA tech sexual assults the perp still unknown, although not related to UGA I'm not taking my chances. :) I do not take chances in anything, used to but learned a lesson a long time ago. Becareful with how you meet others, especially those over the net. Although AD seems pretty safe you never know. Best thing to do is get in touch with friends in your class who have already made contact with other Deafs and get in touch with them. Why not contact the Atlanta School for the Deaf? There are other contacts besides a nationwide forum. You will have better luck there.

:) Hope it works out!

Welcome Katie. We all hope that you will enjoy yourself here at this forum. It is a great place to be. And good luck with your project.

Back