Hello from KS

JeanetteM

Reaction score
Hi My name is Jeanette,
I am a 50 year old hearing person (not that that matters much). A little background: I had a cousin who was deaf (R.I.P, I miss him) I have an acquaintance friend who is deaf but uses hearing aids however she can't speak. We also have a deaf ministry with interpretation at church.
Because of being blessed with these relationships, I want to be more aware, be more active and be a better friend to my deaf friend and to the deaf community. When I finish school I will be taking a sign language class offered at church. I would have taken it this spring but the class times were the same. :(

I will be honest, I am a college student, and I am writing a paper, and I will have some questions, but I wanted to introduce myself before I go digging into the forum threads to see what questions have been answered. The reason I am including the deaf in my research paper is BECAUSE it is something I care about. I do not see the deaf as guinea pigs to be poked.
I was reading through scholarly papers and articles this morning when I found the link for this website. I was excited to find it.:D And I will be here when I get done with the paper too.
So, I say "Thank you" for having this site and allowing me to join. Please be patient with me as I learn.

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to dig into what has already been asked and answered instead of just asking questions on first post.

The reason I am including the deaf in my research paper is BECAUSE it is something I care about. .

After stepping away for awhile I realized that maybe I should explain WHY I don't just ask my acquaintance the questions or find the information on the internet. So here it is.
1. I have done extensive research on our school database and the State Library's database and have not found any information that exactly covers what I am looking for.
2. I spoke to the person in charge of the deaf ministry at church (he is hearing but signs) and he discouraged me from trying to talk with any of the deaf that come regularly- mostly because he felt that they might think I wanted to make guinea pigs of them (studying them). That could hurt the ministry and I do not want that.
3. The deaf acquaintance I have does not live in town and I do not see her very often. I talk with her on-line sometimes but she did not go to school and is learning to type English now. She has a hard time understanding some concepts even though I keep sentences simple. I tried to ask her in simple ways yesterday but she did not understand. She is NOT stupid, she was very sheltered as a child and was not educated.

Ironically #2 applies to here too. WE don't want to be guinea pigs either here.

Ironically #2 applies to here too. WE don't want to be guinea pigs either here.

I don't want to treat anyone here like that either. I have a lot to learn and would not KNOWINGLY seek to offend. Any questions I ask come from a desire to learn and to teach others so that there is less offense between people.

Back