Hello from Kansas! Wanting to learn more about the community

AEaston

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Amanda, currently enrolled in college for a social work degree and eventually wanting to use my degree to work with the hearing impaired. I know I have a lot to learn and I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning! I have always been interested in learning ASL but had no immediate reason or ways to use it to keep it in memory. I'm starting my first official class this semester and can't wait to start this amazing journey.

Last edited:
One thing you should know right off the bat a lot deaf and hoh people hate being called 'hearing impaired' , it sound like they're broken in some way.
I personally do not mind it .

Oh I really don't intend to offend anyone! Last time I respectfully said "deaf" I got my head chewed off by my instructor for being rude. I guess I'm at a loss now :s

Oh I really don't intend to offend anyone! Last time I respectfully said "deaf" I got my head chewed off by my instructor for being rude. I guess I'm at a loss now :s

Is your instructor deaf?

Point taken... Her point of view was from the professional stand point, and obviously undereducated on the topic? Definitely put in the memory bank :)

Point taken... Her point of view was from the professional stand point, and obviously undereducated on the topic? Definitely put in the memory bank :)

Inform your instructor that the correct terminology is deaf/HOH or hearing loss....Hearing impaired is obsolete

<in relation to my "like" above>
.....while I do realize some don't mind "hearing impaired".....

AEaston, what about a Deaf teacher to learn from?

:welcome:hi....you should not put surname on public forum you be surprised just how much you given away:nono:

One thing you should know right off the bat a lot deaf and hoh people hate being called 'hearing impaired' , it sound like they're broken in some way.
I personally do not mind it .
I don't mind it either. I went from being born with something wrong (no one in those days had a clue). Then a non-doctor got me a hearing aid and I got through life that way. Now, I cannot hear. I'm with whatdidyousay! as a hearing to HoH to deaf person that I don't care if I'm called HoH except that it's pretty meaningless. Keeping up with being politically-correct (whoever makes something that) is a task in and of itself.

So, Amanda, a hearty welcome to the forum.

:welcome:hi....you should not put surname on public forum you be surprised just how much you given away:nono:
This one is easier! Yes, keep your info (surname, etc.) off here :) . It's a safer way to operate on the internet. (Background - too many years in InfoTech.)

I don't mind it either. I went from being born with something wrong (no one in those days had a clue). Then a non-doctor got me a hearing aid and I got through life that way. Now, I cannot hear. I'm with whatdidyousay! as a hearing to HoH to deaf person that I don't care if I'm called HoH except that it's pretty meaningless. Keeping up with being politically-correct (whoever makes something that) is a task in and of itself.

So, Amanda, a hearty welcome to the forum.

A doctor told my parents that I had " a Nasty hearing lost" .:roll: My mom was upset the doctor explain it like that. I can' blame my mom b/c the doctor spend about hour giving me all kind of tests.

A doctor told my parents that I had " a Nasty hearing lost" .:roll: My mom was upset the doctor explain it like that. I can' blame my mom b/c the doctor spend about hour giving me all kind of tests.
I'm sorry your doctor said it was a nasty hearing lost and it sure sounds better than a hearing impairment. I assume the doctor went into a little more detail than that maybe later? I hope!

<in relation to my "like" above>
.....while I do realize some don't mind "hearing impaired".....

AEaston, what about a Deaf teacher to learn from?

I'm interested to see what my instructor will be like for my class on ASL. I have yet to meet them, or even attend the school is being taught at.

Back